ADVERTISEMENT

1982 AIAW Championship game available to watch for first time (link)

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
As some of you know, a group of Rutgers alums and I have been working on a documentary film on the 1982 "Lady Knights" who won the last AIAW championship, one of the few team championships in Rutgers history.

In our research we discovered the actual coaches film of the game. Since there was no TV coverage this is the only visual record of the game played against Texas at the Palestra.

We restored the film, digitized it and married it with the WRSU play-by-play of the game. We are planning to use it as a base of the film but given what is going on, the lack of sports and our collective March Madness void we have decided to make the game available for a limited time on YouTube.

Starting TODAY at 3pm ET the game will be available here

Members of the team will be live tweeting at 3 using the hashtag #1982AIAW

It will be live until Sunday April 5th.

Please enjoy. Also to find out more about the film and to make a donation please go to www.forgottenchampions.com

Best,

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon1674
Great film. The group putting together the documentary have done a great job.

Thanks everyone. Really excited. Members of the team will be live tweeting starting at 3 using the hashtag #1982AIAW

1789 fans saw the game live 38 years ago. So far we’ve had the same number of YouTube views.

thanks to everyone who have watched so far.

1789 fans saw the game live 38 years ago. So far we’ve had the same number of YouTube views.

thanks to everyone who have watched so far.
I had thought that some UConn folks had mentioned watching the competing La Tech / Cheney NCAA game, but I see they were actually watching the 1983 NCAA game featuring USC - I'm not sure the 1982 game is available.

In any case, they were noting the difference in style between the games.

I am looking forward to your finished product.

I played third period ball at the Cook gym with a number of players from that team. Good times.

That was great. It's such a wonderful thing to have the tape married with the audio.

One fun detail I noticed was that some of the warm-ups had player nicknames on the back. That was pretty cool.

ADVERTISEMENT