ADVERTISEMENT

1982 AIAW Championship game on BTN Saturday at 8pm (full preview)

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Many of you know that a few WRSU alums including myself have been working on film about the 1982 national champion Rutgers women's basketball team.

As one of the results of this effort BTN is running an hour-long version of the game as a Rutgers Classic. The game which was never on TV gets it's national television debut Saturday night at 8pm as part of Rutgers Day on BTN.

As part of its coverage BTN's Lisa Byington did a 30-minute interview with highlights with Coach Theresa Grentz and co-captain Chris Dailey. They are running snippets this week to promote the game but here's the whole show for those who are interested.

If you want more info on the film please go to our website at www.forgottenchampions.com

Thanks,

Jon

Reactions: MADHAT1
Did not see a contact us link on the page. Does someone know who to make a couple of corrections?

Chris Dailey--current ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH for UConn WBB. Simply listing her as "assistant" does not give due credit to her accomplishment.

RU won the WNIT in 2014. I think that counts as a national championship. Particularly when there were two national championship fields in 1982 (with CVS taking Cheyney State to the title game in the NCAA tournament that had a larger, deeper field).

Last edited:
Just a note: I originally posted with Dailey's name mistyped. I know that there is an 'e' in it--just want to clarify that it was a typing error (sticky keys, hehe) and not from lack of basic research or knowledge.

Did anyone see the ESPN podcast with CVS in it? It was an "Around the Rim" podcast and occurred this spring.

Just a note: I originally posted with Dailey's name mistyped. I know that there is an 'e' in it--just want to clarify that it was a typing error (sticky keys, hehe) and not from lack of basic research or knowledge.
I did the same thing in a thread on the UConn Boneyard, letting them know about the interview. I just typed without thinking about it, which is why I tend to do the "initial" thing, as in TG and CD.

I did not realize that coach Grentz was the first full time women's hoops coach in the country. So we played the first football game and had the first full time women's coach and probably the first African American super athlete in Paul Robeson . Not too shabby.

I did not realize that coach Grentz was the first full time women's hoops coach in the country. So we played the first football game and had the first full time women's coach and probably the first African American super athlete in Paul Robeson . Not too shabby.

And the first coach to take three different teams to the Final Four in basketball.

And the first coach to take three different teams to the Final Four in basketball.

...and the first African-American coach - female or male - to win 1000 games. Can we also count being the oldest university playing FBS football?

Would have liked to have seen the RU-Auburn(with DeWanna Bonner), RU- LSU(Seimone Augustus), or RU-Southwest MissouSt(Jackie Stiles) game today as part of Rutgers day on BTN. Saw a lot of Gary Nova football. One of those games could have been replaced with RU's most successful major sports program of the last few decades.

Would have liked to have seen the RU-Auburn(with DeWanna Bonner), RU- LSU(Seimone Augustus), or RU-Southwest MissouSt(Jackie Stiles) game today as part of Rutgers day on BTN. Saw a lot of Gary Nova football. One of those games could have been replaced with RU's most successful major sports program of the last few decades.

Maybe not the SMS game. It was bad enough the first time. I will say that it was impressive watching Stiles put the team on her back in the 2nd half, but I don't want to see that again. But RU-Auburn was awesome, and I would love to see how the broadcast went, since I was at the game and didn't record it.

Maybe not the SMS game. It was bad enough the first time. I will say that it was impressive watching Stiles put the team on her back in the 2nd half, but I don't want to see that again. But RU-Auburn was awesome, and I would love to see how the broadcast went, since I was at the game and didn't record it.
That's a big Oops! on my part. Guess I suffered a case of creating my own reality.......I actually thought we beat Stiles that game.
Just forget I mentioned that game. ....How bout a Sue Wicks or Shawnetta Stewart game instead of that one.
Or any of the times we defeated the "mighty" Huskies in big games.

Epiphany Prince's great game beating UConn.
Don't remember if that was for the Big East regular season title.

I remember her getting a lot of " and one's"

Last edited:
Win over UConn or TN would be nice. Non RU game I would love to see again is Nove beating UConn at the RAC in the BE tournament

Last edited:
I don't know who chooses what games get shown on BTN during these school features, but it is a great opportunity to promote the school to recruits. The 1982 game is a must to teach the tradition of greatness at RU. We needed at least one of those games from the height of the CVS era that is more relatable to young recruits of today. Some of them may be aware of Cappie, Piph, Essence, Chelsea, etc. One of the great games with Betnijah, Kahleah C, R. Hollivey, and Tyler S. would also have been a good choice.
It would show that we are not the NY Jets who won the Super Bowl 50 yrs ago and haven't done much since. To just show the '82 game and maybe one of this past season's games (@ 6am while all are sleeping) tells those who don't know RU history that we are the Jets.
Bottomline, the women's BBall program deserved better showcasing just as the Football and men's bball did receive.

It may also be a rights issue on which games can and cannot run. Depends who ran the original game and if they grant BTN permission to run it.

Epiphany Prince's great game beating UConn.
Don't remember if that was for the Big East regular season title.

I remember her getting a lot of " and one's"

The Piph game was regular season at the RAC. She scored 33 on 10-19 shooting and 11-11 from the line. It was UConn's first loss of the season.

My personal choice (but probably almost nobody else would want to see it) is the 48-42 win to close out the 2006 regular season and clinch RU's first BEast regular season title. UConn had an 18-point lead with 6 minutes left in the 1st half and basically got completely shut down from there. They were outscored 23-12 in the second half, and scored 1 point in the last 6-1/2 minutes of the game. (Granted, RU scored only 6, but it was more than enough.) This was a big enough game that the NY Times ran a pretty long article on it: https://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/...ats-uconn-to-take-big-east-regularseason.html

Last edited:
Au contraire. RU beating UConn is always worth seeing.

Well, there is that.

I enjoyed that game so much that I re-watched the tape and wrote a running commentary that I posted on this board. Somewhere around 17:00 into the 2nd half, I wrote "I think they're going to win this one."

ADVERTISEMENT