ADVERTISEMENT

1982 AIAW Championship game on BTN tonight

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Hope you're enjoying Rutgers Day.

A friendly reminder about the debut of the game tonight. If you plan to watch you can live tweet with a bunch of women's hoops celebs using the hashtag #82RutgersAIAWChamps.

Please also consider a donation to our efforts to finish the documentary film about this team and its place in history. Here's a link to our gofundme

https://www.gofundme.com/f/txwzxk-forgotten-champions

Also here's a final preview of the game. Feel free to comment below and enjoy, Jon

Now after 8pm, the re edited production quality is very good. Thanks for doing this. Very enjoyable to watch..

"Patty Coyle scored 18 of her career-high 30 points in the second half this afternoon and helped Rutgers erase a 5-point deficit and defeat Texas, 83-77, for the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women basketball championship for Division I schools.

Subscribe to The Times

Texas, which was led by the 30 points of Annette Smith, a 5-11 freshman, took their largest lead, 39-34, on the first play of the second half on a fast-break layup by Esoleta Whaley, a 5-6 sophomore.

Terry Dorner, a 6-2 senior who finished with 25 points, then scored 12 of Rutgers' next 25 points that gave the Lady Knights a 59-57 lead. A rebound basket by Miss Scott gave Texas its last tie.

Patty Coyle then dominated, scoring four free throws without a miss, a driving layup and an 18-foot jump shot. The only Texas response, a long jump shot by Sherryl Hauglun, was matched by a layup by Miss Dorner, and Rutgers had a safe lead at 69-61.

''I think we were nervous at the beginning,'' said Mrs. Grentz. ''But we were working so hard, you could sense the determination in their faces. That was the important part. They played so tough - and Texas is so good.

''I think our schedule has a lot to do with winning today. We played Louisiana Tech, played Maryland, beat Cheyney, beat Tennessee. We were ready for stressful situations.''

Mrs. Grentz said that she had quietly withdrawn $500 from her saving account hoping she could spend the money tonight on a victory dinner party for her team, especially the seniors."

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/03/29/sports/rutgers-triumphs-in-aiaw-final.html

''I'll settle for a cheesesteak,'' said Patty Coyle, a Philadelphian to the end. ''A cheesesteak, a Coke, and these two numbers.'' She then raised her right hand, which held the most valuable player trophy and a certificate proclaiming the A.I.A.W. champion. La. Tech Rallies

He was great in the semi-final against Villanova as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT