ADVERTISEMENT

2 Wildcard 4th Slot Big 12 Candidates

gordel1

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2006
I think its a given that BYU, Houston, and Cincy (in that order) are the top 3 candidates. The #4 is where things get tricky. It seems like the 3 schools vying for that 4th slot are Memphis, UCF, and UConn.

However, I would like to propose 2 schools that people are not talking about all that possibly bring more upside than possibly that last group of Memphis, UCF and UConn are Temple and Tulane. Yes, I said Temple, Philly market and we saw the interest once they got good this year and have strong hoops too. Tulane is also very interesting to me. Tulane has fantastic academics (AAU) and could be the Vanderbilt of the BIG 12. While Tulane on the field hasn't been great they have a new stadium, big market, fertile recruiting ground and can you imagine the Big 12 having their championship game in the heart of SEC country?

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I think its a given that BYU, Houston, and Cincy (in that order) are the top 3 candidates. The #4 is where things get tricky. It seems like the 3 schools vying for that 4th slot are Memphis, UCF, and UConn.

However, I would like to propose 2 schools that people are not talking about all that possibly bring more upside than possibly that last group of Memphis, UCF and UConn are Temple and Tulane. Yes, I said Temple, Philly market and we saw the interest once they got good this year and have strong hoops too. Tulane is also very interesting to me. Tulane has fantastic academics (AAU) and could be the Vanderbilt of the BIG 12. While Tulane on the field hasn't been great they have a new stadium, big market, fertile recruiting ground and can you imagine the Big 12 having their championship game in the heart of SEC country?
I'd love to see Temple get a bigtime break....

Reactions: tico brown
LOL...the big dumpster fire conference for a reason...the dysfunction is delightful to watch![roll]

I actually think BYU is a poor choice for them, trying to channel my inner jim Delaney. Gotta move east (and south) in basically neighboring states
Temple I actually think a better choice than byu but probably too far geographically.
UCF really great long term choice, especially in conjunction with Tulane.
I'm interested.

Temple just has awful fanbase. UConn is better choice because of hoops.

I'm far from convinced BYU will be asked

I think Tulane and/or Memphis are the #3/#4 choices in either order

LOL - Ucan't and Tulane ain't getting asked - anyone who thinks WVU travel is even an agenda item (least of all a concern) are way off base.

I think people are getting giddy over 1 good year. Temple doesn't draw and are a distant 3rd place afterthought in Pa. Who are people in NJ and Pa going to watch on TV? PSU, Rutgers, and Pitt, or Temple? Plus they're surrounded by the B1G on 3 sides and the ACC on 2. There are no major population areas that don't already have a P5 team in the state. The B12 will have to go where the population is moving and hit UCF first. After that it's a crapshoot with Memphis. BYU, Houston, and Cincy. I don't think UConn brings anything and is way too far away. Tulane? See: Temple.

My dark horse is UNLV. Big market, lots of excitement and lots of money from local hotels. Imagine conference bball tourney in LV and Saturday night games there. Of course, it may be strange having BYU and UNLV in same conference. Got Bishop Gorman out there and I'm sure they would recruit really well from PAC 12 territory. Hell of a lot more interesting than UConn.

Yeah, adding two low interest schools will really spice things up. [eyeroll]

If they add four it will be BYU, Houston,.... Cincy and Memphis.

If they add two it will just be the 1st two.

Anyone else is just people trying to turn the B12 into the AAC or something. That is how the AAC ended up with that garbage TV contract. You can't just add schools that no one cares about with tiny fanbases and hope for the best.

I don't see Houston, Texas will block it ... Memphis brings money ... if I had to pick 4 it would be Cincy, BYU, UCF and Memphis

I actually think BYU is a poor choice for them, trying to channel my inner jim Delaney. Gotta move east (and south) in basically neighboring states
Temple I actually think a better choice than byu but probably too far geographically.
UCF really great long term choice, especially in conjunction with Tulane.
I'm interested.

BYU is a great choice if you can accommodate and tolerate their Sunday policy. Over the last 5 seasons their attendance has been 28th highest average in 1A, 26th, 26th, 33rd, and 30th. No other Group of 5 team draws more than they do. They also have a nationwide following and is the best supported university available. If the Big 12 is willing to do a football only, BYU is a grand slam.

Good point about BYU home attendance, impressive.
Geographically having BYU as an outlier, just like WVU seems less than ideal (unless you pair with Colorado state).

I think people are getting giddy over 1 good year. Temple doesn't draw and are a distant 3rd place afterthought in Pa. Who are people in NJ and Pa going to watch on TV? PSU, Rutgers, and Pitt, or Temple? Plus they're surrounded by the B1G on 3 sides and the ACC on 2. There are no major population areas that don't already have a P5 team in the state. The B12 will have to go where the population is moving and hit UCF first. After that it's a crapshoot with Memphis. BYU, Houston, and Cincy. I don't think UConn brings anything and is way too far away. Tulane? See: Temple.

Temple averages about 23K per game in recent seasons. Temple's average of 44K last season was deceiving because they had home games against Penn State and Notre Dame. Take away those two home games and Temple averaged 31.6K for a 10-2 regular season that included a home game against #21 Memphis. Temple would be a huge gamble because the support hasn't been there. Memphis has outdrawn Temple and is near the Big 12 footprint.

Memphis (24,371; 28,537; 33,851; 43,802**)
Temple (26,580*; 22,473; 23,370; 44,159***)

*24,867 if you remove a home game against RU
**40,514 if you remove a home game against Ole Miss
***31,625 if you remove home games against Penn State and Notre Dame

I don't see Houston, Texas will block it ... Memphis brings money ... if I had to pick 4 it would be Cincy, BYU, UCF and Memphis
The Texas governor and Lt governor told the UT and Texas Tech presidents to vote for Houston, and they obliged and publically stated already that they support Houston's entrance.

Additionally,

Might or might not be THE announcement. We shall see.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
My wildcard is colorado state who seems to be investing alot into football as of late....

hero-default.jpg

B9319547432Z.1_20151110001817_000_GFQCGOO65.1-0.jpg

hopefully they go with Cincy and Houston. If cincy gets in, it could hurt OSU (if even the slightest bit) in recruiting quality depth over the years.

We're all chasing the buckeyes, so any slip up from them and we need to pounce.

I think the WVU travel issue is why Cinci is a definite so you have travel partners in the other sports. Also it is the same reason why if they go after BYU they will also go after Boise State.

I think the WVU travel issue is why Cinci is a definite so you have travel partners in the other sports. Also it is the same reason why if they go after BYU they will also go after Boise State.

...because ONE school near you out of 12 or 14 is going to matter or make a financial difference in terms of cost!?! Makes no sense...

...because ONE school near you out of 12 or 14 is going to matter or make a financial difference in terms of cost!?! Makes no sense...

From early reports from the Big12 itself BYU and Houston are the top two. Cincy won't even come into play unless they go to 14.

Also from what I read, whoever they add will make less than the current schools.

So the idea of BYU as football only might be a thing with Houston as a full member.

Its not cost. All of the schools in the big 12 hate the long flights to play one game which many times is in the middle of the week for all the other sports. Its been talked about multiple times on College Sports Radio.

From early reports from the Big12 itself BYU and Houston are the top two. Cincy won't even come into play unless they go to 14.

Also from what I read, whoever they add will make less than the current schools.

So the idea of BYU as football only might be a thing with Houston as a full member.
Its funny because all the reports I heard Cincy was in the clubhouse and Houston was on the outside looking in. The Texas schools are hesitant to bring in Houston.

Its funny because all the reports I heard Cincy was in the clubhouse and Houston was on the outside looking in. The Texas schools are hesitant to bring in Houston.

That was before the Houston report.. and I am sure it will change a few more times before anything actually happens. We should all know, since we went through this already.

BYU and Houston is in the lead in the latest reports, FWIW.

Please stop. It will have zero impact on OSU recruiting.

There is no such thing as "zero impact". For the state of Ohio to have another p5 school it will 100% have an impact to not only osu but also to other programs in the area (Mich state, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and a few others). Maybe the blow to osu will be minimal , but they will feel it.
Cinci will be in some recruiting battles that they currently aren't able to get in . That alone will make osu spend more time and resources that they currently don't have to.
No such thing as zero impact.

Its not cost. All of the schools in the big 12 hate the long flights to play one game which many times is in the middle of the week for all the other sports. Its been talked about multiple times on College Sports Radio.

FromWVUs perspective it is ALL cost...adding one school, near them will not solve this middle of the week bullshit...especially if you add a team like byu that is just as far from the majority of the b12...but in the opposite direction. The b12 is a cluster, and it's geography is just one teeny tiny part of it! /fact

Reactions: American Male
THE BEST SCENARIO FOR THESE schools is for Texas, Okie and Okie state and one other Texas school go to the PAC 12. Remaining little 12 merge with the AAC.

LOL...yeah, THATS the best scenario! Without the steers and landthieves, the b12 will be nothing more than a slightly less shitty AAC![roll]

Reactions: American Male
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT