ADVERTISEMENT

2004 NIT Semifinal Rutgers vs Iowa State

thanks..... I listed this game as one of my favorites in another thread.... got to the garden area a couple of hours ahead of time, walked around, and the
atmosphere was really great.... went into a bar or two where chants of RU rang out...

then the game itself was so exciting.... afterwards, a flock of fans ran down to the ticket window to pick up tickets for the final, me being one of them

I was at the game and I checked I still have the game on a vhs tape. I thought I did but wasn't 100 % sure until I found it. Now I hope to watch it over the next few days.

Great game.

I remember all of us waiting in the RAC to get tickets and then taking the train up for the game from school.

I'll put together a list in another thread but this time(02-06) has to be on the short list of great times to be a student:
Douby years
NIT run
Blizzard game (really only memorable if you were there)
Carmelo/Syracuse losing at the RAC

My Mom taped the game for me God bless her. Ran out of tape with two minutes left.

Last edited:
Great game.

I remember all of us waiting in the RAC to get tickets and then taking the train up for the game from school.

I'll put together a list in another thread but this time(02-06) has to be on the short list of great times to be a student:
Douby years
NIT run
Blizzard game (really only memorable if you were there)
Carmelo/Syracuse losing at the RAC
The blizzard game was an experience. Front row of the student section, yelling at Tom Crean as they walked by and having him able to hear me. The guys in the hard hats from whatever frat that was singing the That 70's Show theme song over and over again at the Marquette bench and, again, there was so little white noise in the place that the bench could clearly hear them.

Night Man, Thank you for the correction. I remember several years ago it was posted here that we were the last team to defeat Syracuse the year they won the national championship. For all these years I thought that was correct but you told me of the two losses to Connecticut. I checked and you are 100 % correct. I guess I better check things before I accept postings as fact in the future. Thank you for that info.

Reactions: Night Man
Night Man, Thank you for the correction. I remember several years ago it was posted here that we were the last team to defeat Syracuse the year they won the national championship. For all these years I thought that was correct but you told me of the two losses to Connecticut. I checked and you are 100 % correct. I guess I better check things before I accept postings as fact in the future. Thank you for that info.
It happens! They won the BE tournament two and three years later, I think? Then lost to Vermont in the 1st round in 05 and A&M in the 1st round in 06?

I had a similar "Mandela effect" moment yesterday when I was watching the win over Providence from 2004 on YouTube. I was at the game and remembered the sequence well... RU down 5 with under 20 seconds to go, Axani banks in a desperation 3, McGrath misses two FTs, Lamizana 3 from the corner to win it. Imagine my surprise yesterday seeing Axani foul out with about a minute left! Turns out I didn't remember the sequence as well as I thought. Lamizana banked in the first 3 as well as the game winner.

Hope you are well!

Axani was a bit of an underrated player. He was a nice Recruit! Over Clemson?

Makes me sad to think what could have been this year. I remember last time the NCAAs were at the Garden, looking ahead and seeing they would be there again in 2020, and thinking man that would be unreal if we could somehow make it there. Not only did we have an NCAA team but if we somehow got in the East, we really were playing well enough to do it and could have made the Sweet 16. In which a RAC atmosphere like the Michigan game combined with the new confidence of the team and we could have done something really special ...

I agree that 2002-2006, when I was a student, was the last decent era in terms of basketball for the students. 2019-2023 is going to end up being wayyyy better. Enjoy the ride everyone!

Two interesting (at least to me) items from the broadcast
Dave Revsine was working at ESPN back then and did the half time show (which was mentioned but not shown)
Byron Joynes was a high school team mate of Carmelo Anthony

great game.... blowing an 11 halftime lead... man! and a little too much confusion with the clock at the end of OT... but, good memory!!

Byron Joynes was a high school team mate of Carmelo Anthony
That I remember... Oak Hill was a household name among college bball fans because of Carmelo and when we got Joynes it was "well... no idea if he's a contributor but at least he's played at a pretty high level for HS." He actually ended up being serviceable, got a lot better between his first two years.

ADVERTISEMENT