ADVERTISEMENT

2017-18 Potential Wrestling Lineup

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The emergence of JVB and Willie Scott really makes me believe that 2017-18 is going to end up with RU finishing Top 5 in duals. Our blue chips will be off of their RS and our best wrestlers will be upperclassmen. Look at this potential lineup:

125 SO Paetzall
133 SR Dippery
141 SR Ash
149 RS JR Giraldo
157 RS JR JVB
165 RS SR Lewis
174 RS SO Scott
184 RS SR Gravina
197 RS FR Mulligan
HVY SR Gross/ Grad transfer?

Outside of heavyweight that lineup is a monster. Im thinking Goodale might look for a grad transfer at heavyweight since we plan on RS Correnti in the off-season if Gross can't get it together.

Last edited:
In think you may see Correnti at 285 next year. His older brother is a big heavy at Rider.

Not sure I agree on that projected line-up. How about DeLuca who finished higher than Lewis in JC and beat Van Brill at ESU this year. He could go 149. It would be interesting if Giraldo were 149, DeLuca 157, & Lewis 165, Not sure if those are the best weights for all these guys. What do you think of Mackall who has better high school wins than Paetzel and is out with an injury this year. Not sold on Mulligan @ 197. Maybe 184 when Gravina departs. In one tourney this year Mulligan lost to 3 separate kids from Cornell. While Scott has surprised, why will he be good at 174 ?Would like to see more of Grello (is he hurt) who could be the favorite for 174. Whatever the line-up we should be very competitive at most weights next year.

Anyway, let's enjoy this year. There is a lot of great wrestling ahead of us.

I think we all agree too disagree with projected lineup.We didnt expect the likes of Gravina or JVB emerging as AA candidates, or see regression I'm some of our "go to guys".I think it is safe too say that nobody outside of Ash or Gravina has a secured spot.

RUlegit. I agree with your assessment. Just hope that Gravina remains healthy. Hope he is not hurt as he did not wrestle at Hofstra.

Agree with some of the above about the lineup next year. What I do not agree with is that RU will be a top 5 dual team. I think RU will be a better dual team than this year. Not sure the OP realizes how good some of the top teams are.

Agree with some of the above about the lineup next year. What I do not agree with is that RU will be a top 5 dual team. I think RU will be a better dual team than this year. Not sure the OP realizes how good some of the top teams are.
Have too agree.I did say that myself,a couple posts ago,but after rethinking it,We are nowhere near Iowa,Penn St.,or Ohio St...not for awhile at least.I think Gravina is very healthy,or at the very least ,not banged up.Goody and staff probably wanted too give him a rest.Heard Lewis is definitely redshirting.Academically he is not where he needs too be either..not with grades,but credits wise.Given the 5th year,will help him get back on track.He's my favorite wrestler on the team,and probably in all college wrestling.JVB,is probably my second.In a sense,and for all selfish purposes,I'm glad we will have Richie one more year.

Reactions: RUGrapple
Top 5?? Jese not even close. Honestly that lineup would be lucky to get one win vs PSU next year.

Rutgers is my 2nd favorite team to PSU and I love what Goodale is doing with the program but let's be real

Really? Want me to give all the lineups of other teams for next year?

What analysis did you want?

Lineup projection? What teams will finish ahead?

Here is PSU lineup next year. Ash the only one favored on paper but I wouldn't sleep on Lee as he beating senior level guys right now.

Suriano
Cortez
Lee
Zain
Nolf
Joseph
Hall
Nickal
McCutheon
Nevills

Really? Want me to give all the lineups of other teams for next year?

What analysis did you want?

Lineup projection? What teams will finish ahead?

Here is PSU lineup next year. Ash the only one favored on paper but I wouldn't sleep on Lee as he beating senior level guys right now.

Suriano
Cortez
Lee
Zain
Nolf
Joseph
Hall
Nickal
McCutheon
Nevills

How will the RU team stack up against the 5th ranked team? 8th ranked team ? I think that's the more relevant question. Not the number 1 or 2 team.

Right now Virginia Tech or Missouri are ranked 5th and 6th depending on what poll you look at. Both of those teams have a ton coming back and Rutgers isn't going to bypass them or any of top 5 with that lineup.

I'm not trying to bring anyone down but need to be realistic

Right now Virginia Tech or Missouri are ranked 5th and 6th depending on what poll you look at. Both of those teams have a ton coming back and Rutgers isn't going to bypass them or any of top 5 with that lineup.

I'm not trying to bring anyone down but need to be realistic

Correct, lets focus on this season, but when someone posts that RU will be a top 5 dual team posters are going to react. And Michigan will be absolutely loaded next year. They are tuff as heck this year and they have 3 or 4 studs redshirting(Coon, Abounder, Panteleo). They will be a close to top 5 team. And if you look at the RU vs Mich lineup for next season RU would be favored in 2, maybe 3 match ups.

good call on Michigan. Also I think Arizona State has a shot to get in to top 5 as well next year. So right off the bat we have PSU, OSU, tOSU, Missouri, VTech, Iowa, Michigan, Arizona State off the top of my head for next year. I'm sure I'm missing a couple obvious teams as well. The teams are in no particular order. Which out of those teams does Rutgers beat next year? I would round it out with Lehigh and NC State.

If Rutgers can get into top 10 next year that would be HUGE accomplishment! Big difference in top 10 and top 15

ADVERTISEMENT