ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Baseball Season Review

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers baseball completed its third season in the Big Ten in 2017, having now played each conference opponent at home and on the road. The Scarlet Knights won league series over Purdue, Illinois and Iowa, the winner of the Big Ten Tournament. Overall, RU played the 31st-toughest schedule in the nation with eight weekend series against teams that appeared in the national rankings.

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/062017aaa.html

There is a plan here. Not sure it would be great to reveal it right now but Hobbs is on it and you will see a big addition to the Coaching Staff very soon. Might not seem big to people not in the know, but if you are it's equivalent to a Pritzlaff, Kill type hire.

There is a plan here. Not sure it would be great to reveal it right now but Hobbs is on it and you will see a big addition to the Coaching Staff very soon. Might not seem big to people not in the know, but if you are it's equivalent to a Pritzlaff, Kill type hire.
Hobbs is going back to his roots and is hiring people that he knows and trusts. The 2 new coaching additions will make an immediate impact with the baseball program.

I've heard rumblings of a staff addition. If it's who I'm hearing, it's a great hire, but it doesn't fix the Litterio problem. This speculated hire has credentials and accomplishments that dwarf Litterio's and I cannot see this person taking orders from him. Litterio needs to be canned all together. He is not fit to lead a B1G program and these last 4 years have shown it. Giving him a staff more qualified than he is when he's the head coach will only create more problems.

The current staff needs to make dramatic changes in the way they pull together a roster. They are so far behind the curve with the competition -- JUCOs, transfers, coaches and players from warm climate geographic regions. And the AD needs to demand it. Look at the rosters of Seton Hall and St. John's. They get it. Look at the other Big Ten rosters. They get after it recruiting-wise. The days of recruiting only the surrounding area are 25 years in our rear view mirror. Here is NCAA baseball RPI ratings. Rutgers is #139. Extremely disappointing. Programs like Dartmouth and Marist above us -- go figure.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

A coach at nearby West Chester University, Jad Prachniak, deserves consideration if Rutgers makes changes.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...colns-prachniak-earns-national-baseball-honor

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
The current staff needs to make dramatic changes in the way they pull together a roster. They are so far behind the curve with the competition -- JUCOs, transfers, coaches and players from warm climate geographic regions. And the AD needs to demand it. Look at the rosters of Seton Hall and St. John's. They get it. Look at the other Big Ten rosters. They get after it recruiting-wise. The days of recruiting only the surrounding area are 25 years in our rear view mirror. Here is NCAA baseball RPI ratings. Rutgers is #139. Extremely disappointing. Programs like Dartmouth and Marist above us -- go figure.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

A coach at nearby West Chester University, Jad Prachniak, deserves consideration if Rutgers makes changes.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...colns-prachniak-earns-national-baseball-honor
I really hope Hobbs pursues the West Chester HC when Litterio gets canned.

Rutgers hired Phil Cundari from Seton Hall as Pitching Coach. 17+ yrs at the Hall. Ok to say bc he is walking around a recruiting event today decked out in RU gear.

My speculation is he will be Head Coach after next year. He was never going to elevate to HC at SH because Shephard is not going anyehee. I hear Litterio is under a 1 year deal.

Reactions: RUboston
Cundari wouldn't have come if not offered some promises.

That is my thought. No way Cundari would have come here without being promised the job at some point. I really hope that's the case and if Litterio is under a one year deal, then this makes sense. Only thing I disagree with is the one year deal. Why not just hand over the program to Cundari and get rid of Litterio. He's a holdover from the last regime and has proven to be a failure. Cut ties

The old staff should have been fired as soon as the season ended. Maybe Hobbs is good at hiring people But has a problem Firing those that prove to be unqualified?

Same old, same old. Rutgers is their own worst enemy. The futility of being a Rutgers fan. There have to be 4000 better choices. Hire people with proven credentials. Track records for winning. Stature beyond NJ. Act like we are in the Big Ten. Friendships, previous relationships, familiarity are not near the top of the list when competing. Compare our hires with the hires of the programs we are competing with. The other Big Ten programs just laugh. As good a pitching coach and assistant coach this fellow has been, has he ever been a head coach with real recruiting reach?

Last edited:
I know I posted this over a year ago,but I was told back then from someone pretty high up in the Athletic Department that Rutgers is looking into getting the lights,scoreboard, and other parts of the relatively new Newark Bears/Eagles Stadium when it is torn down for a new skyscraper office building. Not sure what the delay has been,but I don't think the builders have started tearing down the stadium yet.

I know I posted this over a year ago,but I was told back then from someone pretty high up in the Athletic Department that Rutgers is looking into getting the lights,scoreboard, and other parts of the relatively new Newark Bears/Eagles Stadium when it is torn down for a new skyscraper office building. Not sure what the delay has been,but I don't think the builders have started tearing down the stadium yet.
I was going to ask about facilities since we are making coaching moves. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT