ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Roster

Spoons401K

Redshirt
Apr 23, 2003
Just curious if the 2017/2018 roster is set yet? I know they still have a open scholarship. Are they still saving it for Doucore or possible another graduate senior like Getty's. I just think they are still thin in the front court. Important they continue the momentum going into next year.

BK noted good news for 17' is still on track.

Not certain whether that be Doucoure(dont think so) or another talent. But is on track from all accounts.

I believe he said a couple weeks a couple weeks ago so hopefully soon. Keep the momentum going and dream big for the rest of this class and 2019

Guessing MD enrolls early or a grad transfer joins. Given there's been zero buzz about a grad transfer, I assume MD is probably enrolling early

Reactions: rubigtimenow
There has been a bit of absolute 'shot in the dark' speculation about graduate transfer Jack Whitman, a forward from William & Mary who is eligible immediately - he was all set to go to Kansas & was on campus & a part of their plans - but opted out in late July.
To be clear - There has not been any substantive reason to think he might be in the RU mix (other than he is now eligible & not yet attached to another program) - but as the the days remaining to fill a spot on the 2017 roster dwindle down to just a very few - it is interesting to watch to see where players with the potential to contribute end up.

Reactions: biazza38
To me, in a perfect world, MD doesn't come early, i'd rather have him '18-19 thru '21-22.

Having said that what is most important is his signature on paper., so i'd be happy to see him as #13

To me, in a perfect world, MD doesn't come early, i'd rather have him '18-19 thru '21-22.

Having said that what is most important is his signature on paper., so i'd be happy to see him as #13

Curious what your thoughts are here. Why would that be? Only reason I can think of is it would allow him to develop his body for another year and get bigger/stronger. In this case, MD has the frame already that I think it would be beneficial to get him on campus ASAP if possible.

My perspective, it'd be a lot better to get Mamadou in now unless we got a grad transfer (which isnt happening). Getting Doucoure on campus a year early opens up a scholarship Pike can use next year in the class he has some strong in roads with. We'll really need that scholarship for a 3/4 or 5 if Carey ends up taking the third scholarship (unlikely, but a scenario we have to plan for).

I'm torn on having him only this year for the big 10 and not the OC schedule. I think you need time to develop chemistry. Jack didn't make that immediate impact when he did that. Just hoping to see the three kids sign in November and see who else we add to the roster.

Suddenly spots are filling up. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 2019 kid verbal early on?

Curious what your thoughts are here. Why would that be? Only reason I can think of is it would allow him to develop his body for another year and get bigger/stronger. In this case, MD has the frame already that I think it would be beneficial to get him on campus ASAP if possible.

My perspective, it'd be a lot better to get Mamadou in now unless we got a grad transfer (which isnt happening). Getting Doucoure on campus a year early opens up a scholarship Pike can use next year in the class he has some strong in roads with. We'll really need that scholarship for a 3/4 or 5 if Carey ends up taking the third scholarship (unlikely, but a scenario we have to plan for).

Why would getting him in early open up a scholarship for next year? Theoretically it would open a spot up for '21-'22

Nah...don't!

I'm the one that opened my mouth in the first place, I could have kept it quiet...so that's on me.

I just hope everyone understands that while I'm being told something's happening...I have absolutely no control over it actually occurring. I know, crazy right?
Nah .... we understand ... <as they grab pitch forks, torches, and prepare for the BK Burning....>
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just want to continue the positive trajectory we were on last year . The names and the metrics are of no intetest to me now. Just get me to within sight of the promised land..In my humble opinion of course..

So ... the unannounced player happens, or he does not happen - either way I am really liking the coaching staff, its coaching and its recruiting skills.

If the new player DOES show up, I BELIEVE that what has been implied is the following, as a summary (and if I got anything wrong someone - other than BK, who seems unlikely to chime in more - can correct me):

1) We will be happy, maybe very happy;

2) It is a starter-quality type of player ... like the player might start THIS coming year;

3) Implied it is a front-court player (which would be where the greatest need for a start-quality player might be);

4) NOT a graduate transfer/1-year player.

I do not think anything else has been implied. Which means it MIGHT be Doucore, who would probably start at center for RU this year. Or it MIGHT be another front-court type of player. I do NOT believe a JUCO has been ruled out, but I could be wrong.

So ... the unannounced player happens, or he does not happen - either way I am really liking the coaching staff, its coaching and its recruiting skills.

If the new player DOES show up, I BELIEVE that what has been implied is the following, as a summary (and if I got anything wrong someone - other than BK, who seems unlikely to chime in more - can correct me):

1) We will be happy, maybe very happy;

2) It is a starter-quality type of player ... like the player might start THIS coming year;

3) Implied it is a front-court player (which would be where the greatest need for a start-quality player might be);

4) NOT a graduate transfer/1-year player.

I do not think anything else has been implied. Which means it MIGHT be Doucore, who would probably start at center for RU this year. Or it MIGHT be another front-court type of player. I do NOT believe a JUCO has been ruled out, but I could be wrong.

100% agree with - really liking the coaching staff, its coaching and its recruiting skills.

This looks like an accurate summary of the hints & hopes that have been provided - only tweak that might (and only 'might') be made is in #4 - my recollection (and I could easily be wrong) was that while it had been made clear that, in general and in concept, Pikiell is not a big fan of the grad transfer option, as happened last year, there can be situations where it can prove to be of value. Now, in this specific situation it is clear that the potential player is already identified - and now a process (which may or may not come to fruition) to get said player on-board for 2017-2018 - is well underway ... and there have been just a few clues. I'm not 100% certain, but in and among these clues, I don't believe 'graduate transfer' has been stated to be absolutely, entirely off the table in this individual case.

This is an interesting puzzle - and hats off to BK for deftly providing insights ... while preserving the intrigue! - and yes it is understood that this could also go snap crackle fizzle and nothing comes of it.

Nah...don't!

I'm the one that opened my mouth in the first place, I could have kept it quiet...so that's on me.

I just hope everyone understands that while I'm being told something's happening...I have absolutely no control over it actually occurring. I know, crazy right?
Does it still appear that the mystery thing, which you are not at liberty to discuss further, will still happen?

If it's not a JUCO or grad transfer, I would think it is a foreign player (who are often older and more polished than U.S.-based freshmen recruits, and thus would fit the suggestion that he could start this year).

This is a fun off-season game!

he wouldnt be here in 2018?

We only have one open scholarship right now across 2017 and 2018, barring any early departures or transfers. If Doucoure reclassifies to 2017, we will still have one open scholarship for 2018 to fill.... if the 2017 spot is for a new player, we will have no open scholarships for 2018 unless we have an early departure or a transfer.

he wouldnt be here in 2018?

We only have one open scholarship right now across 2017 and 2018, barring any early departures or transfers. If Doucoure reclassifies to 2017, we will still have one open scholarship for 2018 to fill.... if the 2017 spot is for a new player, we will have no open scholarships for 2018 unless we have an early departure or a transfer.
So it has to be Doucoure or a grad transfer otherwise we are done recruiting for 2018. if it is a juco or freshman that would eat up the remaining scholarship for next season

So it has to be Doucoure or a grad transfer otherwise we are done recruiting for 2018. if it is a juco or freshman that would eat up the remaining scholarship for next season

I think the staff still would recruit. The chances that all 11 (Freeman and Williams are gone) return for '18-'19 are probably 1 in 10.

^ true. But people are bound to leave and transfer(assuming Corey is gone, possibly someone unhappy with PT)

We will have at least 3 scholarships for 2018 as Freeman, Sa & Williams will all graduate. We can have more than 3 if we don't fill the scholarship that we have open yet this summer. Also if Sanders does not return for a fourth season or if anyone else should leave after this coming season we will have more possible available scholarships. At this time we have Doucoure, McClung and Mathis for the class of 2018. We will have at least one more ship available for this summer or one next season for 2018 if we don't fill the one that is still open for this summer. I would not worry. about next season. We have room for Carey if he wants to come and probably for a few big guys as well. I doubt Sanders will return after this season. That is just my opinion. I also think at least one other will probably not return. We definitely should continue to recruit for 2018.

If Doucoure reclassifies, we have a true open scholarship and will definitely be bringing in another 2018 player... who won't have to wait to commit.

If we get another player, we'll still be recruiting, and will likely need to wait until March/April for an additional player or players to commit, once we know who is officially coming back.

NOTICE:. I'm out on this topic.

I can't answer it any better than I already have 50 times.

Next time I will comment on this will be when (and if) it happens!
Thank you. If it doesn't happen will you say what it was supposed to be without naming names?

I stand by my comment. And do yourself a favor BK. Next time you hear something, keep it to yourself. lol

If it's not a JUCO or grad transfer, I would think it is a foreign player (who are often older and more polished than U.S.-based freshmen recruits, and thus would fit the suggestion that he could start this year).

This is a fun off-season game!
I thought the of the same thing this morning and had not seen your post. This is my guess to. A skilled foreign player. But to be clear, I have no knowledge on this. (i wish more people would clearly state that when speculating - like when they insisted Mathis was gone without knowing anything)

We will find out soon.

Reactions: MV9000
ADVERTISEMENT