ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019 Wrestling Lineup

Clearscreen25

All American
Mar 9, 2016
I asked for permission to post this from Ask the Staff - they have always allowed me to share info in the past on here. If there is a problem, please delete the thread. But I just wanted to have a positive discussion.

I asked Lex Knapp whether there were any updates on Suriano moving to 133. This was his response:

"Sounds like 33 to me. Coaching staff is high on Aguilar at 25, and Nick has been relentless in the weight room this offseason. I believe that’ll be the 1-2 punch that will kick off the duals."

I mostly expected the Suriano bump, but it is the Aguilar info that I found interesting. With Ashnault confirming that he will be at 149 in an earlier interview, our lineup is coming more into focus:

125 Aguilar
133 Suriano
141 MVB
149 Ashnault
157 Glasgow (my prediction or he could swap with JVB)
165 JVB
174 Grello
184 Gravina (Perrotti said he's a 10th year wrestler on Twitter - LOL)
197 Correnti
285 Collucci

That will likely be RU's best lineup ever.

Far from the best team ever. Will MVB make 141? JVB too small for 165, Grello unproven, Gravina has really bad shoulder can it get through the season - might see Pagano at 184 or he could beat out Grello, is Correnti motivated to work hard, Aguilar a true frosh, Glasgow missed a year with injuries and is a freshman, can Nick beat Gross and Micic, hope Ash is healthy - Collucci who knows

Far from the best team ever. Will MVB make 141? JVB too small for 165, Grello unproven, Gravina has really bad shoulder can it get through the season - might see Pagano at 184 or he could beat out Grello, is Correnti motivated to work hard, Aguilar a true frosh, Glasgow missed a year with injuries and is a freshman, can Nick beat Gross and Micic, hope Ash is healthy - Collucci who knows
Wow. You have basically assumed every single negative imaginable as if it was true.

What RU wrestling team was better than this year's upcoming lineup?

We had a team ranked as high as #3 one year. No AA tho
If you are talking about the 2011 team with Winston, Mason, Russo, etc. that beat #3 VaTech, where did that team finish at the NCAA championships?

This years team has 2 National Championship contenders and others who are in the mix to AA. We finished last year #11 at the tourney(our highest ever) and have a legit chance for a higher finish this year.

Last edited:
I asked for permission to post this from Ask the Staff - they have always allowed me to share info in the past on here. If there is a problem, please delete the thread. But I just wanted to have a positive discussion.

I asked Lex Knapp whether there were any updates on Suriano moving to 133. This was his response:

"Sounds like 33 to me. Coaching staff is high on Aguilar at 25, and Nick has been relentless in the weight room this offseason. I believe that’ll be the 1-2 punch that will kick off the duals."

I mostly expected the Suriano bump, but it is the Aguilar info that I found interesting. With Ashnault confirming that he will be at 149 in an earlier interview, our lineup is coming more into focus:

125 Aguilar
133 Suriano
141 MVB
149 Ashnault
165 JVB
174 Grello
197 Correnti
285 Collucci

Was he saying Aguilar or Suriano has been relentless in the weight room or maybe both?

@Clearscreen25 never an issue to share my insight. I love the banter on here as well! For those who do like to hear my opinion on certain topics, please tag me in the post so I can get a notification. With the amount of passionate wrestling fans on this board, the comments pile up, and it’s not easy for me to see all of them. So tagging me will ensure I at least get a chance to read it.

As for the line-up, it most likely is not the BEST dual meet team we’ve seen from RU. This is a young team, but talented. However, this may be the best tournament team we’ve produced in some time. I see two likely AA’s in Suriano and Ashnault, along with three boardline, blood-round guys in Gravina, Glasgow and JVB.

All it takes is one of those three to join Ashnault and Suriano in All-American status to propel us into the top 10. We get two+ of those round of 12 guys through, now we’re talking potentially a top 5 finish.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I think the Gravy Train rolls out of Pittsburgh with a trophy in his hand. I had the pleasure of being Nick’s teammate for several years, and this kid does the right things on and off of the mat. I believe this is the year his hard work pays off with an AA finish.

@Clearscreen25 never an issue to share my insight. I love the banter on here as well! For those who do like to hear my opinion on certain topics, please tag me in the post so I can get a notification. With the amount of passionate wrestling fans on this board, the comments pile up, and it’s not easy for me to see all of them. So tagging me will ensure I at least get a chance to read it.

As for the line-up, it most likely is not the BEST dual meet team we’ve seen from RU. This is a young team, but talented. However, this may be the best tournament team we’ve produced in some time. I see two likely AA’s in Suriano and Ashnault, along with three boardline, blood-round guys in Gravina, Glasgow and JVB.

All it takes is one of those three to join Ashnault and Suriano in All-American status to propel us into the top 10. We get two+ of those round of 12 guys through, now we’re talking potentially a top 5 finish.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I think the Gravy Train rolls out of Pittsburgh with a trophy in his hand. I had the pleasure of being Nick’s teammate for several years, and this kid does the right things on and off of the mat. I believe this is the year his hard work pays off with an AA finish.
Thanks!

Which brings up a question that has been discussed a lot. From a wrestler's perspective, how do you judge a D1 college wrestling team's success? By dual meet record or tourney finish? A couple of years ago RU finished ranked in or near the top 10 in the dual meet coaches poll, but didn't do much at the NCAA tourney. Last year, our dual meet record was not great, but we had our highest tourney finish. Which do wrestlers really focus on?

Just a heads up, for those that do want to ask some questions, the 4th of July festivities are about to begin! So I will not be on for the rest of the day, but will be back at it tomorrow.

Have a safe and happy holiday, everyone!
Thanks and you too!!

"Mr. Negativity"??? You forgot to add Goody goes back to coaching high school, transportation refuses to take Rutgers wrestlers to away matches, and Suriano and Ashnault decide they want to watch soap operas together instead of wrestling.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Which brings up a question that has been discussed a lot. From a wrestler's perspective, how do you judge a D1 college wrestling team's success? By dual meet record or tourney finish? A couple of years ago RU finished ranked in or near the top 10 in the dual meet coaches poll, but didn't do much at the NCAA tourney. Last year, our dual meet record was not great, but we had our highest tourney finish. Which do wrestlers really focus on?

Because I like this question a lot, and because you’re always giving me good stuff, I’ll squeeze this one in for you, @Clearscreen25.

Ultimately, the focus of a Division 1 wrestler is a national title. That’s what every die-hard, young wrestler dreams about. Naturally, as competitors, we sill want to win our dual meets in both an individual and team aspect.

We all know how big Coach Goodale is on dual meets. He LOVES them, and because of his passion for duals, the team goes into duals with the same intensity. But until the national title is decided amongst a dual meet format, the priority will always be the NCAA tournament, in regards to both the team and individual championships.

Because I like this question a lot, and because you’re always giving me good stuff, I’ll squeeze this one in for you, @Clearscreen25.

Ultimately, the focus of a Division 1 wrestler is a national title. That’s what every die-hard, young wrestler dreams about. Naturally, as competitors, we sill want to win our dual meets in both an individual and team aspect.

We all know how big Coach Goodale is on dual meets. He LOVES them, and because of his passion for duals, the team goes into duals with the same intensity. But until the national title is decided amongst a dual meet format, the priority will always be the NCAA tournament, in regards to both the team and individual championships.
Thanks and enjoy your day!!

Talk about the glass being half full.
Here's my take.
-JVB too small for 165 that I might agree on but I'll have to see what shape he comes in at before making judgement. Last year yes too small.
- MVB made it before why wouldn't he be able to do it again?
-Grello lost a lot of close matches at the end of the third his freshman year. If he can learn to be more strategic at the end of matches he will win those. I think he can learn, he made it to college.
-Correnti motivated? What's that supposed to mean, that he couldn't gain weight? They tried, he couldn't gain it. Kid made the nationals as a freshman at 197. Unless you have him confused with head case Mulligan?

My outlook is we push one to finals, one to 3rd place and finally break through with a 3rd AA with another making it to blood round. Capturing around an 8th to 9th placed finish.
-Glasgow is obviously recovered from those injuries as he's going neck and neck with JVB.
-Gravina must be used strategically. Get him the minimum number of matches necessary to qualify for Nationals early. Use him sparingly before the B1G tournament just enough to get some work in. Get Pagano some matches here. I love duals but really they aren't that important.
-Aguilar sure he's a true freshman but stepping into a weight where true freshman can thrive. It's not like he's trying this feat at 174 lbs..
-Collucci is an upgrade from Gross his senior year. Gross did very well and surprised me his Jr. year. I expected a lot more from him his Sr. year but he regressed. Which is one of my concerns about our upper weight coach.

My optimistic outlook: push one to finals; one to 3rd/4th place; finally push through a 3rd AA: with another making the blood round.

Last edited:
Talk about the glass being half full.
Here's my take.
-JVB too small for 165 that I might agree on but I'll have to see what shape he comes in at before making judgement. Last year yes too small.
- MVB made it before why wouldn't he be able to do it again?
-Grello lost a lot of close matches at the end of the third his freshman year. If he can learn to be more strategic at the end of matches he will win those. I think he can learn, he made it to college.
-Correnti motivated? What's that supposed to mean, that he couldn't gain weight? They tried, he couldn't gain it. Kid made the nationals as a freshman at 197. Unless you have him confused with head case Mulligan?

My outlook is we push one to finals, one to 3rd place and finally break through with a 3rd AA with another making it to blood round. Capturing around an 8th to 9th placed finish.
-Glasgow is obviously recovered from those injuries as he's going neck and neck with JVB.
-Gravina must be used strategically. Get him the minimum number of matches necessary to qualify for Nationals early. Use him sparingly before the B1G tournament just enough to get some work in. Get Pagano some matches here. I love duals but really they aren't that important.
-Aguilar sure he's a true freshman but stepping into a weight where true freshman can thrive. It's not like he's trying this feat at 174 lbs..
-Collucci is an upgrade from Gross his senior year. Gross did very well and surprised me his Jr. year. I expected a lot more from him his Sr. year but he regressed. Which is one of my concerns about our upper weight coach.

My optimistic outlook: push one to finals; one to 3rd/4th place; finally push through a 3rd AA: with another making the blood round.
Our upperweight coach to me is definitely a question mark. We haven't had anyone over 165 AA in Goodale's tenure thus far. Gravina hopefully breaks that trend this season. If we get 3 AA's, 2 NC finalists in Ash and Suriano, and at least 2 more blood round wrestlers, we likely finish in the Top 5 in Nationals.

If you are talking about the 2011 team with Winston, Mason, Russo, etc. that beat #3 VaTech, where did that team finish at the NCAA championships?

This years team has 2 National Championship contenders and others who are in the mix to AA. We finished last year #11 at the tourney(our highest ever) and have a legit chance for a higher finish this year.
I def don’t think that team is better.. just saying on paper there could be a based on rankings... just trying start a discussion

Reactions: Clearscreen25
I would like to see the matchup of the lineups from 2011 vs 2018.

Having 2 legitimate National Title Contenders on one team is great.
I do miss seeing DJ Russo/Billy Smith at heavyweight. My 2 favorite non AA Wrestlers from RU

Our upperweight coach to me is definitely a question mark. We haven't had anyone over 165 AA in Goodale's tenure thus far. Gravina hopefully breaks that trend this season. If we get 3 AA's, 2 NC finalists in Ash and Suriano, and at least 2 more blood round wrestlers, we likely finish in the Top 5 in Nationals.

What makes the upperweight coach a question mark? DJ Russo was ranked top 8 multiple seasons and never finished the job. Billy Smith lost his blood round match to someone he beat during that season. To blame Leo is unfair.

Name the top 100 recruits that RU obtained above 165. A majority of their best recruits were lower-mid weights. Winston, Mason, Ashnahlt, etc all lower weight guys. Want to blame it on recruiting? That’s one thing. Blame it on the coach? I don’t think so.

Why would the top ranked HS heavyweight even consider an official visit? $$$$

When we talk about a trophy, its a competition for 4th. Can we beat:

Okie St? (they are always a 10 AA threat)
Michigan?
NC State?

Lots of teams in contention for that final spot. Iowa, PSU and tOSU have it locked up at the top.

Want to blame it on recruiting? That’s one thing. Blame it on the coach? I don’t think so.
OK I'll ask, then what is the problem with 174 and up. You named two guys and I'll give you Gravina but that's it from 174 and up in 10 years to sniff AA status. So what is the problem? Recruiting? Who's responsible for that? Wouldn't that be part of the upper weight coach's responsibility? Bill says it's not coaching(does he ever) then why the futility from 174 and up for a decade? 3 guys in a decade to reach the blood round doesn't scream resounding success in 40% of the line up. It screams there might be cause for concern.

Why would the top ranked HS heavyweight even consider an official visit? $$$$
Because Donnie wrestled with his high school coach at Wisconsin. Which fostered a mutual interest to come check RU out. Donnie is not our upper weight coach.

Last edited:
OK I'll ask, then what is the problem with 174 and up. You named two guys and I'll give you Gravina but that's it from 174 and up in 10 years to sniff AA status. So what is the problem? Recruiting? Who's responsible for that? Wouldn't that be part of the upper weight coach's responsibility? Bill says it's not coaching(does he ever) then why the futility from 174 and up for a decade? 3 guys in a decade to reach the blood round doesn't scream resounding success in 40% of the line up. It screams there might be cause for concern.

Because Donnie wrestled with his high school coach at Wisconsin. Which fostered a mutual interest to come check RU out. Donnie is not our upper weight coach.

Recruiting in the upperweights is an issue. At the same time, recruiting does not ensure anything. Eventually, it’s on the wrestler to finish the job. Some kids come in highly touted, and never evolve into who we thought they would (ie - Winston). Then you have guys who are walk on’s, and make a name for themselves over the course of their career (Zannetti).

The recruiting for the upper weights is on the rise. We are in a competitive race for several of the top upperweights in the country. I’ve been told that we are in Schultz top 2 schools. I know there has been some good talks with AJ Ferrari as well. We’re moving in a positive direction, and I believe that’ll begin to show soon.

Lex
Totally agree. I am in that room more than anyone else over the past 20-15 years and coaching is not the answer. Both Smitty and DJ admitted to me nerves got them at the NCAAs not preparation or coaching.

I think nerves also go to Van Brill in the last 30 seconds of his blood round loss.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
I think nerves also go to Van Brill in the last 30 seconds of his blood round loss.
I think that was just complete lack of awareness. He had no stalling calls, I was yelling run or just grab a leg and hold on for dear life the whole time. He could have given up 3 to 4 stalling calls in 30 secs. and still won the match.

Reactions: Leonard23
Wasn’t it 18 seconds? He lost his bearing in the match. Mentally he froze. Just have to run or shoot a low leg single and scramble.

Reactions: Leonard23
Wasn’t it 18 seconds? He lost his bearing in the match. Mentally he froze. Just have to run or shoot a low leg single and scramble.

Yes taken down twice in last 18 seconds, then taken down 24 seconds into overtime. One of the most brutal defeats I have seen. Felt terrible for him, to be that close to AA'ing.....might not get that chance again, cruel sport.

How many top prospects have we recruited from 174 and up?? TBH, recruiting the best guys and blue chippers is the main key. A few don't work out, be it injury or w.e, but the vast majority do... i.e. PSU's recruiting classes

I think that was just complete lack of awareness. He had no stalling calls, I was yelling run or just grab a leg and hold on for dear life the whole time. He could have given up 3 to 4 stalling calls in 30 secs. and still won the match.

that was the worst defeat I saw in RU wrestler in my whole life. i felt sick to my stomach afterwards b/c moments before, i was celebrating his AA achievement. hopefully JVB comes back with vengeance and wins the title (or places AA).

Reactions: koleszar

125 Aguilar
133 Suriano
141 MVB
149 Ashnault
165 JVB
174 Grello
197 Correnti
285 Collucci

Who is to say Aguilar is ready? It's okay to redshirt him if needed - I think we are forgetting about Metzler.He had a pretty good debut win against the Wisconsin wrestler at the dual meet and could develop this season with one year under his belt.

Who is to say Aguilar is ready? It's okay to redshirt him if needed - I think we are forgetting about Metzler.He had a pretty good debut win against the Wisconsin wrestler at the dual meet and could develop this season with one year under his belt.
That answer was from Lex Knapp, former heavy at RU and wrestling insider and he was reporting what the coaches told him. I presume the coaches will know who is better in the room and decide accordingly. 125 is a weight that a freshman can compete and excel at.

I spoke with Goody today, and he reiterated his remarks on Aguilar. Said he’s the real deal, and is going to be a good one. Obviously there’s a learning curve as a wrestler makes the transition to the next level, but the coaches seem to be very high on him.

Last edited:
I spoke with Goody today, and he reiterated his remarks on Agulair. Said he’s the real deal, and is going to be a good one. Obviously there’s a learning curve as a wrestler makes the transition to the next level, but the coaches seem to be very high on him.

May the best guy start- It looks like a very exciting season to come and I am stoked.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Sounding like Suriano will be 125 again only got up to 135. Firestone go 133 and let Aguliar RS

If Suriano goes 125 don’t count out Lipari to win the spot at 133.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT