ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019

There's like 10-15 guys on this board that you can tell can't stop speculating about the new roster and getting excited.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I’m beyond pumped...

The vibe in recruiting for RU basketball is there and ready to take it two notches higher ...we just got to show the improvement in the wins and losses now...it’s coming, question is how fast

Reactions: Scangg
I nominate myself as the most pumped up fan for next years team. Next years team is the new players MINUS players that are gone.

All fans are excited about the 1st half of that equation.............

I nominate myself as the most pumped up fan for next years team. Next years team is the new players MINUS players that are gone.

All fans are excited about the 1st half of that equation.............
Damn... I feel like there is some insider knowledge of even worse chemistry than I had imagined...

It really can't be understated just how bad the trio of Sanders, Williams, and Freeman were at shooting threes. I'd actually be shocked if there were another set of three teammates anywhere in any year that shot under 21% on at least 200 combined attempts.

Fig, I seriously doubt that you are the most pumped up fan going into the coming season. That just isn't you. You are usually Mr. Doubt as the guy who needs to see things first.

It really can't be understated just how bad the trio of Sanders, Williams, and Freeman were at shooting threes. I'd actually be shocked if there were another set of three teammates anywhere in any year that shot under 21% on at least 200 combined attempts.

I'd still have taken No. 3 back in a heartbeat. I think the other two are replaceable.

Damn... I feel like there is some insider knowledge of even worse chemistry than I had imagined...

no. from what i have been told and what i observe the returning players actually have good chemistry. for the most part I think Sanders was a decent teammate and wasnt disliked.

I like the concept of more ball movement

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Fig, I seriously doubt that you are the most pumped up fan going into the coming season. That just isn't you. You are usually Mr. Doubt as the guy who needs to see things first.

expectations and excitement are 2 different things. I am OK seeing guys work hard on the defensive end and sharing the basketball on the offense end, but still not be good enough to win close games against very good/great teams.

If i had to make a prediction right now (big guess with such a young team and new parts) 8-5 6-14 14-19.

Reactions: gregkoko

Really is crazy when you think about it like that.

There were only 5 players that took double digit attempts last year. That trio took 204 shots and hit 43 (21.1%).... the other two (Baker/Thiam) took 268 shots and hit 97 (36.2%).

Have to assume that whatever players step into that void to shoot threes next year, they'll shoot better than a combined 21.1%

Corey wasn't great, but Deshawn... 5 of 32! He hit 1 more three the previous year on exactly half the attempts, going 6 for 16.

The bigger issue to our offense is what Freeman shot from 2. 62-156 39.7% in B1G play, 41.5% overall.

Geo and Doucoure were also sub-40% which has to change. But at least they were freshman... Freeman was a 5th-year senior.

Geo and Doucoure were also sub-40% which has to change. But at least they were freshman... Freeman was a 5th-year senior.

My hope/expectation that the low FG% is more a function of not getting high percentage shots. better ball movement would fix some of it.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Corey wasn't great, but Deshawn... 5 of 32! He hit 1 more three the previous year on exactly half the attempts, going 6 for 16.

I hope the best for Deshawn's future. I think he has bright things ahead. Especially when he sticks to his game. He is very valuable to a team when he does that. He is a kid that has overcome a lot of adversities.

I am surprised coach continued to let him shoot that shot. We are rooting for you, Deshawn! Always play to your strengths! Inside, tip backs, being smart on transition, being the hungriest kid on the court, and stepping up to the defensive challenge while keeping composure on your help defense.

Let's go #33!

My hope/expectation that the low FG% is more a function of not getting high percentage shots. better ball movement would fix some of it.

Yeah, it's going to be really interesting to see how our offense looks this season. If it doesn't look a lot of different -- I'm talking about how the ball flows, and the sets we run, not shots made/missed -- then Pikiell has some questions to answer. I'm hopeful he can figure it out. His best offense at Stony Brook came when Warney was a freshman and the offense was more balanced, rather than running through one guy (Warney or Sanders). But defense first is always going to be the philosophy, it seems.

I've said before that from what I can tell the best version of a Pikiell team would look like Cincinnati, not Xavier.

Interesting stat. Clearly points to Issa’s low release point and overall time it took him to get his shot off. He needs too much space.
That could be it, but in no way can you logically infer one thing from the other and say it "clearly points to..."

In his career Issa is 28-104 26.9% from 3 in conference play

Yeah, that's one of the areas where Issa made the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year.

Conference totals:
Fr: 7-38 (.184)
So: 21-65 (.323)

While taking approximately the same number of shots per minute played in both seasons.

Yeah, that's one of the areas where Issa made the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year.

Conference totals:
Fr: 7-38 (.184)
So: 21-65 (.323)

While taking approximately the same number of shots per minute played in both seasons.

He took 39 in 295 minutes as a frosh or 5.29 per 40 minutes
He took 65 in 524 minutes as a soph or or 4.96 per 40 minues

There's not.

FIG just had a weird hatred for everything Corey' Sanders and he still hasn't let it go.

I didn't think his game offensively translated to success (and I think i supported my thoughts with statistics). Not sure how that means I hate him?

I didn't think his game offensively translated to success (and I think i supported my thoughts with statistics). Not sure how that means I hate him?

Because you almost always focused on Sanders and ignored the fact that basically the whole team across the board was offensively challenged in some way.

But I digress.

I'm pumped for next season because of the additions and matutirity of the returning players.

I could seriously shoot that with my off hand. That's embarrassingly bad especially in the modern era with so much emphasis on the 3 point shot. The depth and upgrade in shooting talent is going to surprise some people. Even true freshman should be able to hit about 30% if they are "shooters" while adjusting to B1G b-ball

Because you almost always focused on Sanders and ignored the fact that basically the whole team across the board was offensively challenged in some way.

But I digress.

I'm pumped for next season because of the additions and matutirity of the returning players.

Again disagreement doesn't mean hate.
His sophomore year when he wasn't scoring early in the season I was defending him saying he wasn't forcing things VS zone
I have also have been vocal about his impact on the defensive end.

Offensively I think we are better without him, but that doesn't mean i hate him. I am in the belief that you cant win with a guard that can't shoot from 3 and rarely passes when penetrating. Doesn't mean I hate him.

....and yes from a chemistry standpoint we are better without him.

I can't wait for next season. We could be a 20 loss team, we could be a 20 win team. There's no way to predict what will happen.

But I digress.

Again disagreement doesn't mean hate.
His sophomore year when he wasn't scoring early in the season I was defending him saying he wasn't forcing things VS zone
I have also have been vocal about his impact on the defensive end.

Offensively I think we are better without him, but that doesn't mean i hate him. I am in the belief that you cant win with a guard that can't shoot from 3 and rarely passes when penetrating. Doesn't mean I hate him.

....and yes from a chemistry standpoint we are better without him.
In Sanders defense the players he could kick it to couldn't shoot open jumpers let alone create and get to the rim. I wonder if we would see a different Sanders if he was surrounded by talent or if that's just the only way he plays period

Reactions: S_Janowski
In Sanders defense the players he could kick it to couldn't shoot open jumpers let alone create and get to the rim. I wonder if we would see a different Sanders if he was surrounded by talent or if that's just the only way he plays period
I think he’d have been more efficient since he’d be asked to do what he can do well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT