ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

From Abro 1975 in previous thread.. " I am an SKWC member, but missed the last meeting. Did I hear Coach G said there might be a nice surprise at 197 next year. Maybe I’m misremembering."

I was at the last meeting. The wrestler mentioned by Coach G is NOT on a college or a junior college roster; he is not a grey shirt, red shirt, an active wrestler, nor an international wrestler. There are several obstacles in the way of his participation on the team- not the least of which is being accepted for enrollment by the university. I don't think it is fair to throw his name on an open forum when nothing is assured.

The reason I responded to the question was to put to bed any ideas that the 197 pounder is on a current roster.

Last edited:
From Abro 1975 in previous thread.. " I am an SKWC member, but missed the last meeting. Did I hear Coach G said there might be a nice surprise at 197 next year. Maybe I’m misremembering."

I was at the last meeting. The wrestler mentioned by Coach G is NOT on a college or a junior college roster; he is not a grey shirt, red shirt, an active wrestler, nor an international wrestler. There are several obstacles in the way of his participation on the team- not the least of which is being accepted for enrollment by the university. I don't think it is fair to throw his name on an open forum when nothing is assured.

Agreed he who should not be named should remain nameless for many reasons

Camden Catholic junior Lucas Revano has given a verbal commitment to Penn. He finished 6th in state at 113 as a freshman and 5th at 120 last year as a sophomore. NJ.com has him ranked 3rd at 132 this year.

Reactions: IsItLuck
So whatever became of PDIII? Last I heard, he was supposed to wrestle 2nd half of season for Iowa... Don't even see him on roster...

Thank you for new thread....how about PSU Matt McC, getting a 6th year and coming here as a grad transfer for 197.
I know he is on a college roster, but didn't see any big names at 197 High School level who are not wrestling (can;t remember any wrestlers who missed a year or two that could come here)
We could always use another melt down from fellow B10 supporting schools.

:), just trying to stir the extra year conspiracy theories

Reactions: biazza38
I was at the last meeting. The wrestler mentioned by Coach G is NOT on a college or a junior college roster; he is not a grey shirt, red shirt, an active wrestler, nor an international wrestler.
Is this supposed to be a game of "I Spy". If so, your clues completely suck. I know who I'm not driving with to the NCAA's.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: demauroj
I forgot to ask, any word on Glasgow and his (expected?) arrival?

Is he training with SKWC while he finishes up at St. Benedicts?

197 transfer Cassar would be my guess NJ kid who lost his spot.He would have big 10 transfer rules to follow

Any chance we can get our own sub forum for wrestling? 1 massive wrestling thread is extremely hard to follow if you haven't checked the thread after a flurry of posts to it.

There's not really enough interest to merit one, in the sense that he'd get people asking for every possible sport to have their own subforum and doesn't want that. But we have full run of the "Other Sports" board, and I'd just suggest we stay here for now.

And you don't HAVE to post in the wrestling thread. That's just a common way we do things for various topics. But we have all sorts of different threads as we see fit.

The single wrestling news thread works really well now that when you open the site, it automatically brings you to the last post you read. Under the old format it would not work as well.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
He knows his dad well
We'll I know a quick way he can save his dad roughly $19,000 dollars a year and he can continue his dream of winning an NCAA championship instead of being a backup.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: obrats
We'll I know a quick way he can save his dad roughly $19,000 dollars a year and he can continue his dream of winning an NCAA championship instead of being a backup.:)
If he walked on at Penn State, maybe there are reasons other than wrestling that he chose Penn State.

If he walked on at Penn State, maybe there are reasons other than wrestling that he chose Penn State.
Well priorities change all the time. Beating the former #1 wrestler and being ranked #5 at one point and now sitting in the stands watching, I'm sure is a real eye opener. I'm not saying he necessarily has to come here, but I'm sure the allure of a starting spot and more than likely scholarship money to help out the old man is quite appealing.

Hell he doesn't even need a scholarship at RU and he'll save his old man a little over $19 grand a year and you know he'll be our entrant into the B1G's and NCAA's. There's literally no one else. Right now any scenario sounds better than staying at psu and getting preferred seating in the psu section at B1G's and NCAA's. Plus there's plenty of places throughout the country where he can see cows.

Reactions: ruready07
Looking at this hypothetical decision strictly from the standpoint of competing for a national championship:

(1) I was waiting for someone to finally say what @IroniaHorse suggested -- that Cassar may just believe he can win the spot at PSU next year. Unless a guy has been absolutely owned in the room, I have to believe the typical D1 wrestler has an "I will improve and earn the spot next season" attitude.

(2) If Cassar transfers, it doesn't change the fact that he still has to outperform Rasheed next year to earn a title (assuming Rasheed stays healthy, eligible, and 197). Which room puts Cassar in the best position to outperform Rasheed? PSU or other?

(3) With #2 in mind, and hypothetically assuming Cassar believes he won't surpass a healthy Rasheed in the PSU room . . . Rasheed has, in fact, had substantial challenges staying healthy over his career. Just playing the odds, does Cassar stand a better chance of winning a national title by going to a potentially inferior room and getting lots of mat time, or by staying at PSU and biding his time to slide into the starting spot if Rasheed doesn't stay sufficiently healthy to hold it down?

These are some tough questions for a student athlete to ponder. And they do not even consiser other subjects such as $, education, atmosphere, etc.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
I think winning an NCAA title is #1 priority for most elite college wrestlers. I'd prefer that myself over an Olympic gold. Im sure many would disagree, jmo

Cassar and Shak are very close in the room with very different styles and skills. I think Cassar has a better than 50/50 chance of beating him for the starting spot next year. Both have injury histories as well. Worst case Cassar has 2 years of eligibility left and Shak only one. This fits well with the plan for Aaron Brooks to go to OTC next year and RS the following. There is a strong case that both might split time next year and determine the starter based upon record and wrestle off mid to late season once again.

Cassar is stronger and as fast as Shack, his only weakness is in his head. After 2 years away from matches he lacks a little confidence and more so aggressiveness. He is better on his feet than anyone in the country but is too tactical. If he could learn more PSU relentless attacking he will be a NC next year. Cassar has openly said his goal is to become a NC, and you can't be a NC if you can't beat a guy in your own room. Likewise to meet that goal there is nowhere better to train. He wrestles both Shak and more importantly Cael every day in the room. I think he can see it playing out this way and stays at PSU.

We will see how it plays out for him there next year. Remember when Shavk was at 165. He is a pinning machine which is why I think he will get the nod over Cassar. Team points!

Cassar and Shak are very close in the room with very different styles and skills. I think Cassar has a better than 50/50 chance of beating him for the starting spot next year. Both have injury histories as well. Worst case Cassar has 2 years of eligibility left and Shak only one. This fits well with the plan for Aaron Brooks to go to OTC next year and RS the following. There is a strong case that both might split time next year and determine the starter based upon record and wrestle off mid to late season once again.

Cassar is stronger and as fast as Shack, his only weakness is in his head. After 2 years away from matches he lacks a little confidence and more so aggressiveness. He is better on his feet than anyone in the country but is too tactical. If he could learn more PSU relentless attacking he will be a NC next year. Cassar has openly said his goal is to become a NC, and you can't be a NC if you can't beat a guy in your own room. Likewise to meet that goal there is nowhere better to train. He wrestles both Shak and more importantly Cael every day in the room. I think he can see it playing out this way and stays at PSU.
Sounds like a great plan from a fans perspective. All except for the guy sitting in the stands come next March and that very well may be Cassar once again. If that scenario plays out he'll have exactly one appearance in the B1G's and NCAA's in his brief college career. Sometimes kids have to do what's best for them and not the fans.

We had that scenario here with Dippery leaving, he wasn't going to wrestle with Ashnault in front of him so he chose to transfer and is having a pretty good year. You simply can't stay waiting for an injury to occur, like you suggest in both wrestlers having a history of injuries. Everyone here understood and it became just bad timing on the injury front.

Also other teams have pretty good rooms as well. The arrogance to suggest or hint at that the only place he can meet his goals is in the psu room is quite obtuse. Plus how do you know if they were wrestling in a tournament setting, as opposed to a wrestle off in the practice room, where they see each other every day the outcome wouldn't be different? That's a big assumption on your part as a psu fan.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan from a fans perspective. All except for the guy sitting in the stands come next March and that very well may be Cassar once again. If that scenario plays out he'll have exactly one appearance in the B1G's and NCAA's in his brief college career. Sometimes kids have to do what's best for them and not the fans.

We had that scenario here with Dippery leaving, he wasn't going to wrestle with Ashnault in front of him so he chose to transfer and is having a pretty good year. You simply can't stay waiting for an injury to occur, like you suggest in both wrestlers having a history of injuries. Everyone here understood and it became just bad timing on the injury front.

Also other teams have pretty good rooms as well. The arrogance to suggest or hint at that the only place he can meet his goals is in the psu room is quite obtuse. Plus how do you know if they were wrestling in a tournament setting, as opposed to a wrestle off in the practice room, where they see each other every day the outcome wouldn't be different? That's a big assumption on your part as a psu fan.
Cassar said he felt he was in the best place to achieve his goals... I guess he would know- since they are his goals. RU fans certainly spend a lot of time theorizing about PSU transfers.

Reactions: Fzacsattac
ADVERTISEMENT