ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Best RU finish in Directors Cup (ever? in a decade?)

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
The Directors Cup is awarded each year to the college program who has the best collective results from its athletic programs. Points are awarded based on final placing in each D1 sport, mens and womens.

There's been threads in the past on this and RU has very often finished in the rankings with company of non-P5 schools and quite frankly not really acceptable based on conference affiliation alone.

But it seems like this season we might actually be having one of our best of in a very very long time. Many of our current spring teams are ranked. Men's basketball would pick up points for the first time in 30 years. The women's programs have a few that could make deep runs in post season tournaments.

To me, this ranking - the Directors Cup - is the true ultimate measure of the success of an athletic department in total. I don't think it gets enough air time or talked about as often it should.

Stanford has finished #1 for at least two decades in a row...thanks in great measure to many sports no one cares about (sorry if that offends some sensibilities).

Football, MBB (pay for almost everything)

Baseball, WBB and in some instances T&F (M and W) - secondary in importance.

The rest live off the first two. Regionally some sports fall to number 2 (like ice hockey, lacrosse, wrestling and soccer) but they still do not pay the bills

Doesn't the B1G have its own version of this Cup? I was thinking about it the other day and figuring that RU, which has probably been at or near the bottom most years since 2014 should be moving up significantly with such a high percentage of our teams having good seasons. Football was no longer at the bottom and basketball is tied for 6th. Women's bball is 3rd.

IIRC, the Director's cup "weights" the sports according to their "importance." Is that correct? And is football part of the mix, since many schools don't have football teams?

Stanford didn't do very well in football this year and their men's basketball team had a rather poor season. So they may not be the Director's Cup winners this time around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT