ADVERTISEMENT

2020 / 21 Season: Playing in a bubble - Discussions underway

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Per Rothstein : Several Power Conferences are discussing playing games in a bubble given courses are online etc.

Don’t know if this is for whole season; partial season; locations; how many games etc or any specifics but concept is interesting given bubbles it appears tends to negate COVID to date a la NHL and NBA.

Status Update: Per Jeff Goodman, Big 10 is contemplating the bubble scenario and it would be in segments throughout the year

Last edited:
Ridiculous idea. Good Lord. How tine deaf are these conference and college administrators?

ACC and BE contemplating this. I spoke with an ACC coach this morning. Said that his head coach had a Zoom meeting with his staff about this Wednesday night.

I like the idea.. make it an experiment. LEARN from it.

Make a virtual campus somewhere... players from all over the country.. all taking online courses.. have tutors there.. like a village.. great testing and medical care.. do the whole season in 90 days.

Of course.. that's a lot of teams in D1... too many for ONE site. Forget conferences. Everyone in D1 can opt-in to join the bubble. Use coaches ranks of teams in a conference and experts opinion son conferences to craft a fair schedule that distributes difficulty based on fair assumptions.

Lets do some math.. lets figure one court could handle 6 games a day.. 2 per morning, afternoon, evening.. that covers 12 teams for one day.. 2 days rest then another 6 games.. etc.

Over 3 days, that one court handles 18 games between 36 different teams.

Now while a court could be used for the 4th day, at some point teams who play on different days of the week will have to face each other and someone will be on shorter rest.. so let's call it 4 days for 36 different teams to play a game.

They can play 30 games in 90+ to at most 120 days. 4 months. Basically, a semester.

Then you take the top 72 for the single-elimination tourney.

There are 350 D1 schools.. not everyone would pay for joining this bubble experiment but let's say they all do.

175 games shows everyone play.

6 games a day for 1 court that would mean 30 courts needed. But spread across 3 days.. that is 10 courts needed.

So a facility with 10 courts, each hosting 6 games a day, could handle it. With housing for 350 teams and staff and support staff.. tutors.. media to broadcast every game... local and national reporters to cover it. Lets say that's 30 people per team plus maybe 1000 more.

Thats 11,500 people. Let's call it 12,000 I'm sure players would share rooms but lets call it 12,000 hotel rooms needed.

I think we found the sticking point.

I think you'd need a military base sized setup with barracks for teams. Big hangars where you build courts.. and a lot of private housing... and excellent cell and broadband.

I like the idea.. make it an experiment. LEARN from it.

Make a virtual campus somewhere... players from all over the country.. all taking online courses.. have tutors there.. like a village.. great testing and medical care.. do the whole season in 90 days.

Of course.. that's a lot of teams in D1... too many for ONE site. Forget conferences. Everyone in D1 can opt-in to join the bubble. Use coaches ranks of teams in a conference and experts opinion son conferences to craft a fair schedule that distributes difficulty based on fair assumptions.

Lets do some math.. lets figure one court could handle 6 games a day.. 2 per morning, afternoon, evening.. that covers 12 teams for one day.. 2 days rest then another 6 games.. etc.

Over 3 days, that one court handles 18 games between 36 different teams.

Now while a court could be used for the 4th day, at some point teams who play on different days of the week will have to face each other and someone will be on shorter rest.. so let's call it 4 days for 36 different teams to play a game.

They can play 30 games in 90+ to at most 120 days. 4 months. Basically, a semester.

Then you take the top 72 for the single-elimination tourney.

There are 350 D1 schools.. not everyone would pay for joining this bubble experiment but let's say they all do.

175 games shows everyone play.

6 games a day for 1 court that would mean 30 courts needed. But spread across 3 days.. that is 10 courts needed.

So a facility with 10 courts, each hosting 6 games a day, could handle it. With housing for 350 teams and staff and support staff.. tutors.. media to broadcast every game... local and national reporters to cover it. Lets say that's 30 people per team plus maybe 1000 more.

Thats 11,500 people. Let's call it 12,000 I'm sure players would share rooms but lets call it 12,000 hotel rooms needed.

I think we found the sticking point.

I think you'd need a military base sized setup with barracks for teams. Big hangars where you build courts.. and a lot of private housing... and excellent cell and broadband.

Sounds complicated.

I like the idea

mechanics need to be worked out where you do the bubble and then have 1 week off before reentering quarantine

hopefully with testing they can shorten the quarantine period to 1 week.

The NBA and NHL have proven a bubble can work.

Basketball is easier than football since the rosters are smaller and the equipment needed is less / easier to transport.

Unlike the Pros, college bubbles would probably need ot be in boring towns so the kids are not tempted. Imagine a bubble in Vegas as the kids would be tempted to escape. Same would hold for Orlando with Disney / Universal. The Pros are more mature for staying in the bubble, especially since this is their playoffs.

Put a bubble in Rochester NY or Provo Utah and the players would be like, it is more fun in the hotel room than out and about.

It wouldn't be hard to group conferences that play the same amount of conference games (20,18,16,14) and figure a way to get each team up to the 27-31 regular season games each team wants by bubbling a tournament style or round robin tournaments to fill the non conference and be lax on the redshift rule in case of covid positive players and players needed to fill the roster.

For preseason tournaments thay can easily do this with an ECAC region setup

For example:
Take a bunch of NJ / NY / PA / DE / CT / MD / RI schools and put them in AC hotels with an Olympic like group stage. Play in the AC Convention Center.

Maybe have like 20 teams in this bubble with 4 groups of 5 teams across conferences.

- They play 4 group games in the initial round
- Top 2 in each group advance to the 2nd stage of group rounds - 3 games
- The bottom 3 in the initial groups will be scheduled into 4 consolation games
- The 2nd stage winners groups will lead to a championship game of the 2 2nd stage group winners and consolation games for the rest
***Note - if teams from the same conference qualify for the same groups in the 2nd or last games the organizers can change up the matchups / groups to adhere to conference rules.

Example of early groups:
A - NJ group
Rutgers
Princeton
FDU
NJIT
St Peters

B - NY group
St Johns
Hofstra
Manhattan
Stony Brook
Wagner

C - NJ / PA group
Seton Hall
Monmouth
Drexel
Rider
Temple or UPenn

D - CT / MD / PA group
UConn
Towson
Army
Central Connecticut
Villanova

Would explect the following to play well and be top 2 in each group
A- Rutgers / NJIT or Princeton
B - St Johns / any of the other 4
C - Seton Hall / Temple
D - Villanova / UConn
**With all the Big East teams they may need to just do scheduled consolation games instead of a tournament style or limit Big East teams in the overall group with swapping UPenn for Nova

ADVERTISEMENT