ADVERTISEMENT

2020 commit flips to Ohio State

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Bryce Hepner, from St. Ed’s, Ohio, has flipped his commitment to Ohio State University. Hepner, a two-time Ohio state champion, originally committed to Rutgers University shortly after his official visit, which he took during the weekend Rutgers played host to Final X.

Currently, Bryce Hepner is ranked 14th in the nation at 152-lbs by Flowrestling. Hepner will be looking to make his fourth state finals appearance, and capturing his third state title, prior to joining the Buckeyes next fall.

Any idea on his replacement?
Ideally, Dylan Weaver of Lyndhurst is one top target that would potentially be filling this void in recruiting. Most of the 2019 class was geared towards the low-mid weights, as the 2020 class features quality upper weight talent.

Currently, as the roster stands, guys such as Ryan Vulahk, Rob Kanniard, Gerard Angelo, Jake Benner are all viable replacements moving forward in the middle of the lineup. Luckily, this should not be too much of a blow for Rutgers. But it is a blow nonetheless.

Ideally, Dylan Weaver of Lyndhurst is one top target that would potentially be filling this void in recruiting. Most of the 2019 class was geared towards the low-mid weights, as the 2020 class features quality upper weight talent.

Currently, as the roster stands, guys such as Ryan Vulahk, Rob Kanniard, Gerard Angelo, Jake Benner are all viable replacements moving forward in the middle of the lineup. Luckily, this should not be too much of a blow for Rutgers. But it is a blow nonetheless.

Can’t blame the kid for staying close to home. His brother is already on OSU’s team, too. Best of luck to him. Seems like a good kid.

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU

Thanks Lex! I was hoping you were going to say Weaver and it looks like he is taking his official visits now so it's possible a decision could be coming soon.

He has already visited RU (it was his 1st), Oklahoma State, and it appears he just visited Iowa State last weekend as per Twitter.

As I said in a previous post, I wanted Hepner(not only because I think he is a talent) but it gave us a larger recruiting footprint and St. Eds is a super power in the High School ranks. A lot of times if you get one kid, you can get multiple kids. Look at Virginia Tech----they got the first St. Paris Graham kid and then got a bunch to follow(multiple AA's). These are the recruits we need to get, from power programs.

As I said in a previous post, I wanted Hepner(not only because I think he is a talent) but it gave us a larger recruiting footprint and St. Eds is a super power in the High School ranks. A lot of times if you get one kid, you can get multiple kids. Look at Virginia Tech----they got the first St. Paris Graham kid and then got a bunch to follow(multiple AA's). These are the recruits we need to get, from power programs.

Agree St Ed’s is a great program. We wrestled against them in high school.

Can’t blame him for staying local ... funny how I remember people questioning this one

There’s a lot of truth to this. Similar to how the flood gates opened with Bergen Catholic here. Grello, Mulligan, Pagano, Lipari, and of course Suriano. Granted, not quite the same as your example, but you get the idea.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
not a big loss. not even ranked as a top 100 senior. only ranked 14th in his weight class. yes, good to have a St. Ed's connection. Would have been a good practice teammate as his brother is at Ohio State. Might even save us some scholarship money. doubt he would ever start. will see what he does at OSU. Wonder what the story is with Shawver. he could help us in the future. is a top 100 kid and top 7 in his weight class

I watched Hepner in a few tourneys during freestyle this off season.
He is going to be very good on top.
I thought he had amazing potential.
I am sure he is not getting much money at OSU, but he gets to be with his family every night....hard to keep up with that.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
not a big loss. not even ranked as a top 100 senior. only ranked 14th in his weight class. yes, good to have a St. Ed's connection. Would have been a good practice teammate as his brother is at Ohio State. Might even save us some scholarship money. doubt he would ever start. will see what he does at OSU. Wonder what the story is with Shawver. he could help us in the future. is a top 100 kid and top 7 in his weight class

I guess time will tell, I am higher on Hepner than you and also think he is a better prospect than Shawver. Everyone always says Shawver beat Howard. Yes he did, but Howard tried a lateral drop and Shawver stopped it for a 5-0 lead and was able to hold on. In 3 class Ohio, Shawver is still looking for his first title. My gut tells me he is not coming here.....he verballed prior to Sammy Alvarez deciding to come to RU.

Last edited:

Unless he’s going for free, or the legacy thing played itself out, there’s a reason Ohio State took him. There’s gotta be talent they see.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'll say this much about all of you: you take this more graciously than other fans that I've seen on other team forums where a guy transfers. A national champion at 133 comes to mind of someone who STILL bears the brunt end of everyone's rage on one site, and I never thought any fans were worse than Iowa fans for that!

I'll say this much about all of you: you take this more graciously than other fans that I've seen on other team forums where a guy transfers. A national champion at 133 comes to mind of someone who STILL bears the brunt end of everyone's rage on one site, and I never thought any fans were worse than Iowa fans for that!
<Snicker>
Presuming you're taking about BWI, how about you go over and bring some recent "rage" about Suriano back over here. Better yet, come over there and let's talk about it. Oh, wait, maybe the "rage" is yours, at BWI, because you're not allowed over there any longer.

The latest thread involving Suriano over there was the Farrel thread, and that one had nothing but factual information about how his day was progressing.

And, if you'd like to compare and contrast the differences between the Suriano transfer and this decommitment, have at it.

We are pretty solid around his weight class. I think if he was a 125 or 285 pound wrestler there may have been more uproar.

<Snicker>
Presuming you're taking about BWI, how about you go over and bring some recent "rage" about Suriano back over here. Better yet, come over there and let's talk about it. Oh, wait, maybe the "rage" is yours, at BWI, because you're not allowed over there any longer.

The latest thread involving Suriano over there was the Farrel thread, and that one had nothing but factual information about how his day was progressing.

And, if you'd like to compare and contrast the differences between the Suriano transfer and this decommitment, have at it.
Would you like me to post some comments and threads about Suriano from over there, just as I did with your comment about the people on this site? I'll be happy to oblige.

I can't believe I'm about to defend any state penn fans but I was in Pitt for ncaas and 9 of 10 PSU fans I talked to were rooting for and/or wishing nothing but the best for Nick. Also, in the finals, the crowd which had tons of penn staters was clearly pro-nick.
Surprise surprise that it's easy to find the outliers on a message board.

Reactions: elvis7 and RU in IM
I can't believe I'm about to defend any state penn fans but I was in Pitt for ncaas and 9 of 10 PSU fans I talked to were rooting for and/or wishing nothing but the best for Nick. Also, in the finals, the crowd which had tons of penn staters was clearly pro-nick.
Surprise surprise that it's easy to find the outliers on a message board.
Read their forum sometime. You'll see what I mean.

Looks like Weaver visited Indiana this weekend, seems like he is knocking out all of his officials now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT