ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Intriguing Transfers (and ongoing transfer watch)

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
Any transfer who is reported to have received interest from Rutgers will get their own thread. The year listed for the player is what their next playing year will be. So if a player is listed as a JR it means they played this past season as a sophomore.

Keep in mind that many people think it is likely that ALL transfers will be allowed to play without sitting out, however this is not yet decided.

The gold mine (all transfers listed here): https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/

My list of ones to keep on at the high-major level:

Bryce Aiken, G, Harvard, Grad
From Randolph, New Jersey, Aiken was considered perhaps the top player in the Ivy League but sat out in order to grad transfer. Undersized but has the athleticism and the game to cut it in a major conference. Already heard from a host of Big Ten schools and Seton Hall.

EJ Anosike, F, Sacred Heart, Grad
Poor Anthony Latina. The Sacred Heart coach has gotten Cane Broome, Quincy McKnight, and now Anosike on campus but had them all transfer out. From East Orange, NJ, Anosike led the NEC in offensive efficiency as a sophomore and was pretty good in a bigger role as a junior. His outside shooting was iffy (25% last year after 36% the year before) but he fills the box score with points, rebounds, and assists. He's not nearly the kind of shooter Akwasi Yeboah was but he can fill a similar role: An experienced guy on the wing who has plenty of experience with the ball in his hands in any situation you can think of.

Jonah Antonio, G, UNLV, JR
Aussie guard who had some high-major looks coming over (including Seton Hall). He was... fine for UNLV, nothing special. Only a 32% three-point shooter and pretty much all he does is catch and shoot threes.

Brendan Barry, G, Dartmouth, Grad
From Rumson-Fair Haven high school, Barry was one of the best shooters in the Ivy League until deciding to sit out this year so he could grad transfer. The other parts of his game don't really translate but as a 43% three-point shooter some room could be made.

Jamarius Burton, G, Wichita State, JR
Scored 10 PPG for Wichita State this past season but his efficiency numbers aren't anything crazy. Shot 38% on threes for the year but that was on just 63 attempts and beefed up against poor OOC competition.

Ed Croswell, C, La Salle, JR
Announced his transfer just before the season ended. Let the Atlantic-10 in offensive rebounding and we know how much Pikiell loves offensive rebounding. A bit undersized at 6'8" and definitely not a guy who will stretch out a defense. He's strictly a paint player. He's efficient inside though and more than held his own against teams like Villanova and Dayton. Not really a great defender but at least you get rebounding and some offense from him.

Tahj Eaddy, G, Santa Clara, Grad
Born in Connecticut, high school in Tennessee, attended SE Missouri and then Santa Clara. Dude has been around. He's been an effective shooter during his career (37% on threes) and thus he qualifies for The List.

Drew Lowder, G, Holy Cross, SO
Lowder ran from a terrible team at Holy Cross, transferring in mid-January. The team was one of the worst in the country even with him there, but hey. The freshman from Ann Arbor was shooting 42% on threes prior to exiting and scored 24 points on 19 shots against Maryland in their first game of the year.

Kevin Marfo, C, Quinnipiac, Grad
A 6'8" rebounding force originally from Bergenfield, New Jersey. Marfo is going to land at a high-major, it's just a question of which one. He led the country in defensive rebounding percentage and was second in offensive percentage. He was also second in the country at drawing fouls. He's not as polished a finisher as guys like Markusson and Morgan but he'd be a welcome addition nonetheless.

Mattias Markusson, C, Loyola Marymount, Grad
A 7'3" Swede, he took a redshirt this past season with the passing of his mother. Prior to that he was an effective piece for Loyola, doing the types of things you'd expect from a 7'3" guy (rebounds and blocks and a high percentage on 2-pointers). If Pikiell is looking for some size this would be a good use of the Rutgers-Sweden connection.

Makhi and Makhel Mitchell, C, Maryland, SO
The twin big men left Maryland and things pretty much improved for the Terps right away, so there's a major caveat emptor here. Makhi Mitchell was a top-75 prospect, and Makhel was top-200. They're almost certainly a package deal so I doubt Rutgers involved, but they'll end up at a high-major somewhere.

Balint Mocsan, G, Idaho State, Grad
This year's shooter extraordinaire from Idaho. Longtime fans will remember my crush on Cameron Tyson who ended up at Houston last offseason. Mocsan, from Hungary, is a career 42% three-point shooter. You're probably in trouble if you ask him to defend a Big Ten guard for more than a few minutes, but if you can hide him on that end and get him some looks on offense it's worth a shot.

Joshua Morgan, C, Long Beach State, SO
What's better than one Long Beach center (Myles Johnson is from there)? How about two? Morgan led the Big West in block rate and was an efficient finisher around the rim. He'll need to add some strength to move up into the Big Ten or another high-major but he'll definitely find a landing spot at this level.

Tomas Murphy, F, Northeastern, Grad (2 years)
One older brothers played at Florida and the other at Florida, Duke, and Northeastern. Murphy is a 6'8" forward who can stretch out the defense a little bit although he really hasn't played enough to establish a big track record.

Landers Nolley, F, Virginia Tech, SO
Nolley had a much bigger role than he was cut out for on a Virginia Tech that lost nearly everybody from the year before. He showed good promise early on but really struggled late and started chucking badly in ACC play (24% on 134 three-pointers is no bueno). But he was a top-75 recruit and demonstrated those skills at times, the only Hokie who could really create his own shot. Not much reason to think Rutgers would get involved (he's from Georgia) but he's the kind of guy who would thrive in a smaller role at a better school.

Darius Perry, G, Louisville, SR
The breakout player who never broke out. A 4-star recruit originally, Perry never was able to crack 20 minutes per game in three seasons. He's a decent outside shooter (36% on threes in his career) but doesn't offer much else (bad inside the arc, mediocre assist-turnover numbers).

Kodye Pugh, F, Stanford, JR
Once upon a time he was a 4-star prospect out of Baltimore. Extremely underwhelming numbers at Stanford and did not play this past season. But, uh, he's got size and a 4-star pedigree so here he is on the list.

Sam Sessoms, G, Binghamton, JR
Your classic uber-usage low-major guy. Sessoms, a Philly native, was 2nd in the MAAC in usage because he was only half-decent player on an awful Binghamton team. His numbers inevitably underrate his skill because he had to do literally everything for this team. He's shown a really good ability to shoot and dish and I think he's really going to thrive at a high-major where he doesn't need to force as many shots. However, hard to see Rutgers as the landing spot if the sit-out rules are waived with two seniors (Baker and Young) who'll have the ball in their hands.

Grant Sherfield, G, Wichita State, SO
Borderline top-150 guy who had a couple of high-major offers out of high school. From Kansas originally. Had some decent assist numbers but really struggled to put the ball in the basket including a horrific sub-30% on two-pointers in AAC play.

Mike Smith, G, Columbia, Grad
Led the Ivy League in usage. Rutgers probably would've lost to Columbia in 2018 had Smith been healthy for that game. Undersized at 5'11" 180 but plays bigger and is a gifted passer. Showed well in games against Wake Forest, St. John's, and Yale this past season. Rutgers doesn't really need a point guard, but if they did...

Erik Stevenson, G, Wichita State, JR
Yet another Wichita State transfer. Led the Shockers in usage rate but wasn't anything special efficiency-wise. Sub-30% three-point shooter for his career but at least put up some decent steal and rebounding numbers for a guard.

Patrick Tape, C, Columbia
Did not play this past season but was an all-league caliber guy the year before. Has some nice moves inside and led the Ivy League in blocks that season as well. Not a shooter but has plenty of other skills to warrant a high-major opportunity.

Taurean Thompson, C, Seton Hall, SR
A four-star prospect out of Jersey City, Thompson committed to Syracuse and played very well as a freshman, very much living up to the billing. But he transferred to Seton Hall after that season and has been the invisible man ever since. He got off the bench for just four minutes this past season, and he's back on the transfer market. Obviously some big questions about what kind of role he's looking for and if he has the right motor, but he has a chance to be very productive... That is IF you can unlock that and I don't know who has the right formula for that.

Isaac White, G, Stanford, Grad
Another Aussie but this one can actually shoot it. 37% from three for his career including 40.8% last year. Not a threat to put the ball on the deck and I don't know about his defense but he's the kind of low-volume high-efficiency shooter we could use.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUby RED
Here's my list of Guys Rutgers Should Reach Out To, If You Ask Me

Listed in rough order of preference

Mattias Markusson
Joshua Morgan
Landers Nolley
Kevin Marfo
Ed Croswell
EJ Anosike
Patrick Tape
Balint Mocsan
Sam Sessoms
Brendan Barry

The OP will be kept up to date with guys at least worth considering as more enter the portal.

Is Brendan Barry related to Roselle Park NJ-native, one of the Top-50 NBA players of all time (through 1996), and the NBA’s best ever foul shooter Rick Barry?

Is Brendan Barry related to Roselle Park NJ-native, one of the Top-50 NBA players of all time (through 1996), and the NBA’s best ever foul shooter Rick Barry?

Yes. Seen it described as a "distant" relationship, though. Something like Brendan's grandfather is a cousin of Rick.

Thanks for doing this, kcg. I remember this thread from last offseason and was hoping you'd start another one. Good place to keep track of the transfer market.

Reactions: kcg88
BTW I will say that I expect Rutgers to be less active in the transfer market this offseason. It generally skews guard-heavy and if players are transferring with the expectation the sit-out rule will be revoked, then Rutgers is a tough sell with four guards that are seniors or juniors.

Biggest needs are a Yeboah replacement (but those guys are less common to find, plus Pikiell had the "in" with Yeboah already) and size (though a commitment from a certain prospect would alleviate that).

Any transfer who is reported to have received interest from Rutgers will get their own thread. The year listed for the player is what their next playing year will be. So if a player is listed as a JR it means they played this past season as a sophomore.

Keep in mind that many people think it is likely that ALL transfers will be allowed to play without sitting out, however this is not yet decided.

The gold mine (all transfers listed here): https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/

My list of ones to keep on at the high-major level:

Landers Nolley, F, Virginia Tech, SO
Nolley had a much bigger role than he was cut out for on a Virginia Tech that lost nearly everybody from the year before. He showed good promise early on but really struggled late and started chucking badly in ACC play (24% on 134 three-pointers is no bueno). But he was a top-75 recruit and demonstrated those skills at times, the only Hokie who could really create his own shot. Not much reason to think Rutgers would get involved (he's from Georgia) but he's the kind of guy who would thrive in a smaller role at a better school.

slightly misleading for him shooting wise since he shot 3's overall this past season at 31.6% but maybe he only shoots well in lesser tiered games. but if they go after a shooter they better get a drop dead shooter (which is my hope for atleast 1 person they bring in).

Last edited:
If the sitout rule stands through this season, I could see us trying to land a sitout guard to replace Geo/JY going into the following year.

Reactions: rufancoe00
If the sitout rule stands through this season, I could see us trying to land a sitout guard to replace Geo/JY going into the following year.

I think commit Jaden Jones is the Geo replacement. I agree, a fast guard to replace Jacob Young would be ideal and a sit out transfer would be an option.

I have been following the Duncan Robinson story. He went from not playing starting five his senior year of HS, going to a prep year, went to Williams college in Mass, and ended up making a connection through his Williams coach to John Bellein. Now he´s a lights out shooter in the NBA.

Love these transfers potentials to go from low mid major to HM.

Rutgers is a HM now, right? :Wink:

Last edited:
I have been following the Duncan Robinson story. He went from not playing starting five his senior year of HS, going to a prep year, went to Williams college in Vermont, and ended up making a connection through his Williams coach to John Bellein. Now he´s a lights out shooter in the NBA.

Love these transfers potentials to go from low mid major to HM.

Rutgers is a HM now, right? :Wink:
The Williams College I know is in Massachusetts and is Div-III.

Hopefully , this means we have Cliff committed and we are looking at a transfer to pair with Paul Mulcahy, either sit-out Jr. or immediately eligible Soph.

The Top-20 remaining transfer candidates with immediate eligibility. Seton Hall is mentioned 5 times as possible landing spots. Rutgers 0.

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

There's a lot more open spots at Seton Hall (graduating three starters in McKnight, Powell, and Gill) than Rutgers (graduating one starter in Yeboah plus a backup C, and we might bring in a 2020 C recruit anyway).

That said I would love to get Anosike. He's a (Eugene) Omoruyi type guy.

The Top-20 remaining transfer candidates with immediate eligibility. Seton Hall is mentioned 5 times as possible landing spots. Rutgers 0.

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

Rutgers is clearly after a Center, whether it's Omoruyi or a JUCO. Assuming there is a transfer, I think it's very likely Pikiell will roll the scholarship over--or maybe a sitout transfer at a position of need (guard), unless the perfect grad transfer comes a long. Remember, the Omoruyi transfer seemed to stun Pikiell last season and he decided it was too tough to try and keep a full roster happy (Peter Kiss the casualty this season)... so I think he will either fill the ship with someone who can't play or roll it over to the 21 class, which is already off to a good start. He's not going to fill the ship to fill it.

Need to add these guys to the list... Listing them here for my own reference.

Ian DuBose, Houston Baptist
Justin Turner, Bowling Green
Trey McGowens, Pittsburgh
Jalen Carey, Syracuse
Hayden Koval, Central Arkansas
Rich Kelly, Quinnipiac
Ferrion Flavors, Cal Baptist
Nate Johnson, Gardner-Webb

For completionist sake, these guys are already committed but I'll add them:
Seth Towns, Harvard -> Ohio State
Kobe King, Wisconsin -> Nebraska
Kobe Webster, Western Illinois -> Nebraska
Brycen Goodine, Syracuse -> Providence
Ty Brewer, SE Louisiana - > East Tennessee State

Rutgers is clearly after a Center, whether it's Omoruyi or a JUCO. Assuming there is a transfer, I think it's very likely Pikiell will roll the scholarship over--or maybe a sitout transfer at a position of need (guard), unless the perfect grad transfer comes a long. Remember, the Omoruyi transfer seemed to stun Pikiell last season and he decided it was too tough to try and keep a full roster happy (Peter Kiss the casualty this season)... so I think he will either fill the ship with someone who can't play or roll it over to the 21 class, which is already off to a good start. He's not going to fill the ship to fill it.

it certainly pays to be a walk on for Pike. He gives them schollies like they are candy. 2 this year, one last. As of right now 2 for next year. Imagine what the team would look like if Pike, you know, recruited a whole team. Get a damn transfer that can play. Take advantage of the success you just had. Pike’s recruiting is what needs to step up.

Illinois sophomore guard Alan Griffin announces intent to transfer.

41% three point shooter.

it certainly pays to be a walk on for Pike. He gives them schollies like they are candy. 2 this year, one last. As of right now 2 for next year. Imagine what the team would look like if Pike, you know, recruited a whole team. Get a damn transfer that can play. Take advantage of the success you just had. Pike’s recruiting is what needs to step up.

Completely disagree here. You cannot keep everyone happy... Everyone was raving about the depth of this team and they had an open scholarship and sat a scholarship player all season. Pikiell knows how many players he needs to keep a team happy and good. A sitout would be perfect if Kiss leaves.

I was not thrilled he had open ships this year. He had 2. And he had the need for a 4/5. Badly. Still does. It might have been nice to, you know, have one in the system already. The one place Pike has to pick up is in the recruiting front. He can’t have open ships every year. The team would be better by filling the ship.

I was not thrilled he had open ships this year. He had 2. And he had the need for a 4/5. Badly. Still does. It might have been nice to, you know, have one in the system already. The one place Pike has to pick up is in the recruiting front. He can’t have open ships every year. The team would be better by filling the ship.

Many coaches would disagree that teams are better off filling every scholarship. Including Jay Wright and Roy Williams.

Had he filled the scholarship with another big man who played, we would have seen posts daily about “where is Doucoure” much like “where is Kiss”. Both would have been relegated to the bench even more so than they already were, taking up scholarships but not playing. We did try hard to land Donnie Tillman, a sit out power forward but just missed him. Maybe there wasn’t someone that was good enough still out there after Eugene transferred.

i think we need to look at the 13th scholarship as the “just in case something special comes along” schollie.

I would be surprised if every ship was filled, even if we land a big (Cliff or another big)....with the amount of starting caliber players hitting the transfer portal each day, it would be bad to be locked in with no roster flexibility.

This team doesn't dance or become in position to dance without transfers in for each of the last 2 years....Jacob Young 2 years ago and Yeboah.

The goal should be a 1st year 2019 recruiting class transfer and or a 2nd year transfer who will be a junior this fall....ideally someone who can replace Baker and or Youngs minutes and defense as a combo guard.

13 scholarships is probably too many for team chemistry until you have a year with injuries. We were fortunate this year but can’t always expect that. Seems to be a tough balancing act.

I would be surprised if every ship was filled, even if we land a big (Cliff or another big)....with the amount of starting caliber players hitting the transfer portal each day, it would be bad to be locked in with no roster flexibility.

This team doesn't dance or become in position to dance without transfers in for each of the last 2 years....Jacob Young 2 years ago and Yeboah.

The goal should be a 1st year 2019 recruiting class transfer and or a 2nd year transfer who will be a junior this fall....ideally someone who can replace Baker and or Youngs minutes and defense as a combo guard.
Sounds like someone has changed their tone on transfers... I’m glad youve joined us in the year 2020!

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT