141: #3 Rivera (#3 B1G)
149: #21 MVB (#9 B1G)
157: #27 Kanniard (#8 B1G)
165: n/a
174: #19 Turley (#7 B1G)
184: #15 Poz (#8 B1G)
197: #25 Janzer (#8 B1G)
285: n/a

It's insane how deep the B1G is that a bunch of guys are on the cusp of needing an at large big even though they are ranked within the top 27 and the B1G gets 8 automatic spots (1 champ + 7 preallocation).

How crazy is the EIWA getting all those bids...With only 7 real Programs competing in the EIWA Tournament this year...LIU and Sacred Heart might have a tough time breaking the NJ Top 20 HS teams..They based their bids on a normal season with 17 teams

Reactions: koleszar
Only 7 guaranteed spots at 149 and HWT and only 6 at 197. I think we’ll get 6, could get as many as 8 if Janzer wakes up and Boone goes on a decent run at the Big 10s

Rivera is a showman so I’d expect him to wrestle, but don’t be surprised if a lot of the top guys in the conference who are guaranteed to make NCAAs (Lee, Gable, etc) sit out the conference tournament in order to better guarantee theyre covid free come national tournament time. I’m expecting a lot of college basketball teams to do the same.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
This is great news! We should get at least 7 and 9 is possible. Janzer must step up as the Big Ten gets only 6 guaranteed spots. Boone doesn't have much of a resume so he will need a good tourney which is possible. Aguilar will have a chance to turn his season around. It starts at Maryland. Seeding will be important for Nic. Van Brill has wrestled well and am confident that he will continue to be strong. We have a great chance to turn around a season that so far has been disappointing. We can still reach our potential with s top 15 or better finish.

This is great news! We should get at least 7 and 9 is possible. Janzer must step up as the Big Ten gets only 6 guaranteed spots. Boone doesn't have much of a resume so he will need a good tourney which is possible. Aguilar will have a chance to turn his season around. It starts at Maryland. Seeding will be important for Nic. Van Brill has wrestled well and am confident that he will continue to be strong. We have a great chance to turn around a season that so far has been disappointing. We can still reach our potential with s top 15 or better finish.

Agreed very optimistic with our chances.Finish strong GO RU!

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
How crazy is the EIWA getting all those bids...With only 7 real Programs competing in the EIWA Tournament this year...LIU and Sacred Heart might have a tough time breaking the NJ Top 20 HS teams..They based their bids on a normal season with 17 teams
I question the methodology in making that decision. No way they deserve more than 3 automatic spots at any given weight class with teams not participating. Someone done screwed up.

Reactions: Leonard23
Only 7 guaranteed spots at 149 and HWT and only 6 at 197. I think we’ll get 6, could get as many as 8 if Janzer wakes up and Boone goes on a decent run at the Big 10s

Rivera is a showman so I’d expect him to wrestle, but don’t be surprised if a lot of the top guys in the conference who are guaranteed to make NCAAs (Lee, Gable, etc) sit out the conference tournament in order to better guarantee theyre covid free come national tournament time. I’m expecting a lot of college basketball teams to do the same.
You can't just miss conferences because you want to.In order to miss conferences and still be able to compete at NCAA you've to miss for covid related reasons.Contact tracing and testing positive would be the only way to miss

I question the methodology in making that decision. No way they deserve more than 3 automatic spots at any given weight class with teams not participating. Someone done screwed up.

Agreed. They should have at least halved the EIWA's auto qualifiers. For 125, the EIWA has no one in the top 20 whereas the Big Ten has 11, but the EIWA gets two auto qualifiers and the Big Ten gets seven.

Coaches Rankings:
125: #19 Aguilar (#12 B!G)
133: #4 Alvarez (#3 B1G)
141: #3 Rivera (#3 B1G)
149: #21 MVB (#9 B1G)
157: #27 Kanniard (#8 B1G)
165: n/a
174: #19 Turley (#7 B1G)
184: #15 Poz (#8 B1G)
197: #25 Janzer (#8 B1G)
285: n/a

It's insane how deep the B1G is that a bunch of guys are on the cusp of needing an at large big even though they are ranked within the top 27 and the B1G gets 8 automatic spots (1 champ + 7 preallocation).

well the ivies aren’t competing this year so that makes our rankings look better.

Agreed. They should have at least halved the EIWA's auto qualifiers. For 125, the EIWA has no one in the top 20 whereas the Big Ten has 11, but the EIWA gets two auto qualifiers and the Big Ten gets seven.
The MAC also got screwed they didnt get the EWL bids because the league doesn't exist

Agreed very optimistic with our chances.Finish strong GO RU!
Based on the rankings, I see 5-8 qualifiers, but it's hard to judge many of these weights, since too many haven't wrestled much at all or head to head. 9 would exceed my expectations. The EIWA getting all of those allocations without the Ivies is absurd and pure laziness by the NCAA. Hopefully, the B1G and other conferences speak out or lobby for that to be changed.

You can't just miss conferences because you want to.In order to miss conferences and still be able to compete at NCAA you've to miss for covid related reasons.Contact tracing and testing positive would be the only way to miss
We’ve seen in the past, guys can medical forfeit 0:01 into the match

Based on the rankings, I see 5-8 qualifiers, but it's hard to judge many of these weights, since too many haven't wrestled much at all or head to head. 9 would exceed my expectations. The EIWA getting all of those allocations without the Ivies is absurd and pure laziness by the NCAA. Hopefully, the B1G and other conferences speak out or lobby for that to be changed.

I certainly hope the out large bids then favor us at the Big Tens.

I certainly hope the out large bids then favor us at the Big Tens.
I can't see how the EIWA gets a single one unless there are huge upsets. You're going to have some kids who have no business being in the NCAA's from that conference this year. They'll be some early round point grabbing.

We’ve seen in the past, guys can medical forfeit 0:01 into the match
Way different then sitting out to avoid covid.If your trying to avoid covid by traveling to the Big 10 tournament to weigh in and take a injury default not sure that's the best way to avoid covid

I still can't believe the NCAA didn't change the EIWA's allocations. Something like 45 of 90 participants got a bid. You have a ton of really low ranked wrestlers getting a bid for no legitimate reason. What a joke. Perfect example:

I still can't believe the NCAA didn't change the EIWA's allocations. Something like 45 of 90 participants got a bid. You have a ton of really low ranked wrestlers getting a bid for no legitimate reason. What a joke. Perfect example:
Kids are getting screwed being in the big10... u shouldn’t be punished for being in the toughest conference wtf

Last edited:
I watched half of the EIWA finals and it was a joke. There were 1 or two decent wrestlers and the 3rd and 4th place finishers were brutal.

Big 10 will end up being fine.Kanniard will get an at large.
I just have a problem with how much easier it is to qualify in the EIWA vs big10...

A prime example is Colucci.. he’s a ncaa qualifier when he was in the eiwa but has a much tougher road qualifying in the big10... this gotta change...

I just have a problem with how much easier it is to qualify in the EIWA vs big10...

A prime example is Colucci.. he’s a ncaa qualifier when he was in the eiwa but has a much tougher road qualifying in the big10... this gotta change...
Nothing is gonna change this year. The allocations are what they're.

Nothing is gonna change this year. The allocations are what they're.
If they use the same criteria which I believe is partially based on previous year performance. Then next year the EIWA will be screwed. We’ll hear quite a lot of bitching from the Ivy League.

Last edited:
If they use the same criteria which I believe is partially based on previous year’s performance. Then next year the EIWA will be screwed. We’ll hear quite a lot of bitching from the Ivy League.
Every year it's winning % , coaches rank and rpi. It has nothing to do with previous years . It's all based on your body of work that season

NCAA definitely dropped the ball on this one but it’s not going to make a huge difference in the long run. A few kids from better conferences aren’t going to be able to say they were NQs this year but it’s a free year and they’ll be better wrestlers moving forward having wrestled in a big 10 room for example than in the EIWA

Every year it's winning % , coaches rank and rpi. It has nothing to do with previous years . It's all based on your body of work that season
Then based upon the criteria you laid out how is it possible they got so many allocations? It’s quite obvious they didn’t achieve any of those criteria this year. You seem to know more than I do so please explain.

Last edited:
I meant previous year not years but apparently I was wrong. Then based upon the criteria you laid out how is it possible they got so many allocations? It’s quite obvious they didn’t achieve any of those criteria this year. You seem to know more than I do so please explain.

Koleszar, this year they took the last 5 years of qualifiers per weight in each conference and averaged them out for each conference. Problem was the NCAA did not take into consideration teams opting out, teams moving conferences etc. So the EIWA wrestled this year without the Ivies and Franklin and Marshall but all of their previous 5 years of Data was in the averages. So they had a high amount of 'bids' but no Ivies in the conference tournament to grab them. It was the only way they could have done it this year, but they should have tweaked it for these type of situations.

Koleszar, this year they took the last 5 years of qualifiers per weight in each conference and averaged them out for each conference. Problem was the NCAA did not take into consideration teams opting out, teams moving conferences etc. So the EIWA wrestled this year without the Ivies and Franklin and Marshall but all of their previous 5 years of Data was in the averages. So they had a high amount of 'bids' but no Ivies in the conference tournament to grab them. It was the only way they could have done it this year, but they should have tweaked it for these type of situations.
Ah thank you. My mistake I knew I read they were using previous years as a criteria. I mistook it for being more than just for this year.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT