ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Noah Vedral - before AC went down

PSAL_Hoops

All American
Feb 18, 2008
Noah’s stats from those first 8 games when we were healthier (AC, Sutton and ONeal injuries):

1) 138+ passing yards per game -mostly 150+
2) at least 15 completions per game
3) outside of OSU game, no interceptions
4) 7 passing TDs (in 5 of 7 games)
5) attempted 26+ passes in 7 of 8 games

Now those are not super star stats - make no mistake. But we didn’t play anyone like Wagner last year. Delaware would beat them by 30+. So let’s chuck that game in the garbage. In the other 2 games this year, our current QBs combined for 110 passing yards (BC) and 59 passing yards (Temple) - 169 passing yards total through 2 games. No passing TDs.

Those of you blaming the coaches for not giving the young guys more opportunities to throw aren’t at practice. Clearly Noah had a greener light to throw the ball last year because they trusted him more even then. So how about we at least see what he can do for us (clearly the intended starter pre injury) before sounding the alarms. If he’s healthy - there’s no question he’s going to start.

Noah’s stats from those first 8 games when we were healthier (AC, Sutton and ONeal injuries):

Now those are not super star stats - make no mistake. But we didn’t play anyone like Wagner last year. Delaware would beat them by 30+. So let’s chuck that game in the garbage. In the other 2 games this year, our current QBs combined for 110 passing yards (BC) and 59 passing yards (Temple) - 169 passing yards total through 2 games. No passing TDs.

Those of you blaming the coaches for not giving the young guys more opportunities to throw aren’t at practice. Clearly Noah had a greener light to throw the ball last year because they trusted him more even then. So how about we at least see what he can do for us (clearly the intended starter pre injury) before sounding the alarms. If he’s healthy - there’s no question he’s going to start.
I think they’re gonna do more vertical passing in the future. In fact maybe the way to beat Iowa is some big plays over the top (or a breakaway run/misdirection).If Rutgers can manage two big play TD’s with some field goals mixed in, the defense may be able to keep Iowa under 20. AC and Long can get behind guys and Youngblood can get deep from the slot with a tricky play design.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

I'm not sure the point you are making.
Just for reference, those numbers would put as as one of the worst passing offenses in the entire country in 2021:
138y/g is #124 (out of 130) (We finished at 171y/g and #114)
26 attempts/g is #108 (out of 130)
7TD - lets round to 10 TDs for the season? That would have been approx #120 (out of 130).
15 completions per game over 12 games is 180. Lets make it 200 for the bowl game. That's #107 out of 130.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2021/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort07.html

What exactly is his injury? He should have been back by now if it was minor . Probably seeing if he can get a 7th year

wow.........it's about time...........thank you my friend.........noah may have a noodle arm but he confident running the rpo..........but people one here want him gone.....the man deserves a start..........live with it!

I'm not sure the point you are making.
Just for reference, those numbers would put as as one of the worst passing offenses in the entire country in 2021:
138y/g is #124 (out of 130)
26 attempts/g is #108 (out of 130)
7TD - lets round to 10 TDs for the season? That would have been approx #120 (out of 130).
15 completions per game over 12 games is 180. Lets make it 200 for the bowl game. That's #107 out of 130.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2021/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort07.html

I said at least 15 completions showing perspective compared to the guys we have now who everyone seems to think should play over him. He only completed 15 vs. Temple mainly because we won 61-14 and the staff treated the second half like a scrimmage.

Noah was 21 for 26 throwing for 323 yards against a Delaware team that was arguably as good as Temple and BC. He completed 22 passes against Syracuse… 18 against Michigan… Then we lost Sutton, ran into OSU and lost ONeal too. It was downhill from there though he did throw for 208 yards in the Michigan State game.

What exactly is his injury? He should have been back by now if it was minor . Probably seeing if he can get a 7th year

I don’t think so based on the Schiano presser. He said it’s going “to be close” for Iowa. It’s possible Schiano knows he’s ready and is bluffing to not give anything away to Iowa - otherwise it’s week to week. But I don’t think Schiano would say that if redshirt was being explored.

Reactions: rurx1228

Oh, you've done it now!!! The Vedral Haters are at the gates!!!

WKdHZn6.jpg

Reactions: knightfan7
I have been saying this since game 1. If NV is healthy we have a fairly effective passing attack right now. Simon is not the answer unless he has a ton of good protection and GW is still just a baby learning.

Didn't we beat Temple 61-14 last year? The 14 is the same, but 16 and 61 aren't quite the same unless you are dyslexic maybe?.... Looks like we need Noah back......

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have been saying this since game 1. If NV is healthy we have a fairly effective passing attack right now. Simon is not the answer unless he has a ton of good protection and GW is still just a baby learning.
In the game this past Saturday, I'm not so sure the passing attack would've been all that much better w/Vedral. Maybe a little bit, because he can both run and pass and he makes better decisions than either Simon or Wimsatt. But both the OL and WRs/TEs/RBs really struggled in the passing game against Temple. And it's tough to do well in the passing game when that happens.

I'm hoping it was just an off day for the OL and that they will play better this week. They're gonna have to because Iowa's D is probably way better than Temple's.

In general, I don't think our offensive woes have been predominately due to the QB play so much as OL/WR/TE play. I think Gleeson has to get together with his O staff and figure out some passing plays in which we can get open receivers, be they WRs, TEs or RBs.

We agree completely - when healthy, he's a better runner than Simon and a better passer than both of the other guys, particularly in short/medium range throws, plus his reads are better, so better decision-making. I'd also like to see us let Langan throw a pass or two., especially in short yardage situations, where there will very likely be single coverage - and people laugh at the jump pass, but it can be very effective.

In the game this past Saturday, I'm not so sure the passing attack would've been all that much better w/Vedral. Maybe a little bit, because he can both run and pass and he makes better decisions than either Simon or Wimsatt. But both the OL and WRs/TEs/RBs really struggled in the passing game against Temple. And it's tough to do well in the passing game when that happens.

I'm hoping it was just an off day for the OL and that they will play better this week. They're gonna have to because Iowa's D is probably way better than Temple's.

In general, I don't think our offensive woes have been predominately due to the QB play so much as OL/WR/TE play. I think Gleeson has to get together with his O staff and figure out some passing plays in which we can get open receivers, be they WRs, TEs or RBs.

I think it would’ve been a lot better in this particular game because Vedral is not one dimensional. Also - Temple seems to have a decent red zone defense (see they forced a bunch of Duke field goals too). Even the biggest Noah “haters” would have to admit he’s the best option in the red zone where his throwing limitations matter less in the short field.

Reactions: mildone and RU1977
BC game.. okay.. do what you must to WIN. But we KNEW Wagner and Temple were sure-wins (though Temple turned out differently).'

We KNEW we had 2 QBs to develop and evaluate.

We KNEW that our inability to be a legitimate passing threat in recent years hurt the offense badly.

And what do we do? We have them hand off way too much when we should have been slinging the ball around. We do RUN-RUN-PASS when we should have seen PASS-PASS-RUN ratio if not the exact order of calls.

That is a failure of planning.. a failure of coaching.. in my opinion, of course. We know Vedral cannot throw the ball. We have seen that. And Simon vs Temple really looked bad.. which surprised me. In his limited action in games, we haven't seen anything that consistently bad. Now I am hoping that Vedral has benefitted from all his experience and knowing his limitations that he can have a great final year while maximizing his efforts. But he dumps the ball off for his completion ratio.. sometimes for no gain or even a loss to an outlet.. far too often to give me any level of confidence.

You need timing and accuracy and a quick trigger to hit decently covered wide receivers.. to stick it in the slot needed for a chance of completion and not an interception and he has not shown that ability with many opportunities to do so. But.. WTF.. maybe the game "slows down" for him this year and he has that ability. We shall see... and hope.

Here's the thing... if Vedral was going to start vs Iowa, and he is "okay".. we should have planned to use him for some snaps vs Temple.. right? Get him some game snaps before Iowa. But we needed a QB after one went down and the other was having his worst game ever... and we did not use him. Maybe he is really hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolv RU
I think it would’ve been a lot better in this particular game because Vedral is not one dimensional. Also - Temple seems to have a decent red zone defense (see they forced a bunch of Duke field goals too). Even the biggest Noah “haters” would have to admit he’s the best option in the red zone where his throwing limitations matter less in the short field.
I agree he might've been a little better in the Temple game, but given OL/receiver issues, he would've had to throw away a lot of passes or risk too many INTs.

I think Vedral would do better, in general, though - that much I agree about entirely. As you say, he's multi-dimensional, and sees the game far better than the other two.

That having been said, give any of the 3 a little more time and better, quicker, receiving options, and they'll all look a lot better. I think that's a combination of coaching and execution. The OL appears to have the requisite physical talent, but need to gel more. I think they will get a lot better throughout the season, but it might take a few more games and by then we're into the tough part of the schedule.

I think the jury is still out about if we'll find a couple really good receiving targets this season. And I have no idea if it's coaching, or lack of talent, or what.

All in all, I'm still not clear on how good the team can be this season. We'll learn a lot on Saturday, I guess.

BC game.. okay.. do what you must to WIN. But we KNEW Wagner and Temple were sure-wins (though Temple turned out differently).'

We KNEW we had 2 QBs to develop and evaluate.

We KNEW that our inability to be a legitimate passing threat in recent years hurt the offense badly.

And what do we do? We have them hand off way too much when we should have been lining the ball around. We do RUN-RUN-PASS when we should have seen PASS-PASS-RUN ratio if not the exact order of calls.

That is a failure of planning.. a failure of coaching.. in my opinion, of course. We know Vedral cannot throw the ball. We have seen that. And Simon vs Temple really looked bad.. that surprised me. In his limited action in games we haven't seen anything that consistently bad. Now I am hoping that Vedral has benefitted from all his experience and knowing his limitations that he can have a great final year while maximizing his efforts. But he dumps the ball off for his completion ratio.. sometimes for no gain or even a loss to an outlet.. far too often to give me any level of confidence.

You need timing and accuracy and a quick trigger to hit decently covered wide receivers.. to stick it in the slot needed for a chance of completion and not an interception and he has not shown that ability with many opportunities to do so. But.. WTF.. maybe the game "slows down" for him this year and he has that ability. We shall see.
Also, I don't think swapping QBs every other drive was beneficial as well.

Each should have at the minimum gotten a full quarter or half, and then you play the other vice versa.

Rotating QBs each drive asks a lot out of the OL and the WRs as no two QBs are exactly the same.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Also, I don't think swapping QBs every other drive was beneficial as well.

Each should have at the minimum gotten a full quarter or half, and then you play the other vice versa.

Rotating QBs each drive asks a lot out of the OL and the WRs as no two QBs are exactly the same.
absolutely agree.. and said so in other threads.. give em a half each.

Vedral needs to start against Iowa.,He should be ready by now,
Why, exactly, should he be ready by now? GS hasn't publicly said a word about his injury other than that it's upper body and he's leaving the decision as to when to play up to the doctors.

I agree he might've been a little better in the Temple game, but given OL/receiver issues, he would've had to throw away a lot of passes or risk too many INTs.

I think Vedral would do better, in general, though - that much I agree about entirely. As you say, he's multi-dimensional, and sees the game far better than the other two.

That having been said, give any of the 3 a little more time and better, quicker, receiving options, and they'll all look a lot better. I think that's a combination of coaching and execution. The OL appears to have the requisite physical talent, but need to gel more. I think they will get a lot better throughout the season, but it might take a few more games and by then we're into the tough part of the schedule.

I think the jury is still out about if we'll find a couple really good receiving targets this season. And I have no idea if it's coaching, or lack of talent, or what.

All in all, I'm still not clear on how good the team can be this season. We'll learn a lot on Saturday, I guess.

The OL isn’t worse than what we had the second half of last season. Noah avoided picks in 9 out of 13 games last season (and with OSU and Wisconsin we probably accepted more risk in throwing 50/50 balls going in because it was known how low our chances to win were). The Maryland pick was basically a decision to Hail Mary a pass on 3rd down vs punting (we were losing pretty big already) So literally the pick in the WF game (with half our roster wiped out) was the only other sort of meaningful pick Noah threw.

The OL isn’t worse than what we had the second half of last season. Noah avoided picks in 9 out of 13 games last season (and with OSU and Wisconsin we probably accepted more risk in throwing 50/50 balls going in because it was known how low our chances to win were). The Maryland pick was basically a decision to Hail Mary a pass on 3rd down vs punting (we were losing pretty big already) So literally the pick in the WF game (with half our roster wiped out) was the only other sort of meaningful pick Noah threw.
I actually think the OL this season is probably a lot better than last year, in general.

But in the Temple game, the OL was really bad. Really, really bad. Not being overpowered so much as just flat out missing critical blocks or just being slow or whatever. Not sure if they were trying new, complicated stuff (there was some pulling taking place, IIRC) or what. But damn, it was awful at times.

Much of the forum wanted to hang Noah in effigy for much of the season. As is typical with starting QBs when stuff isn't going well. But other than a couple games where he was just off, I don't believe he was the root cause of our offensive issues. I think, as you point out, that the OL was bad and, like this season, we didn't consistently get people open enough, quickly enough, to get the ball downfield.

My fear is that we're even worse w/receiving this season. And Iowa's D is almost certainly going to be a lot better than BC's or Temple's. If we cannot produce a passing game on Saturday, I suspect it will be more due to an inability to pass block or get open enough to throw without a high risk of INTs.

"Bad" is better than "Terrible" for sure.

But it's still "Bad" and not good enough.

Because, in truth, it's been a long term plan to psych out our opponents.
“In truth”. 🤣

I mean, if you think about it, it could definitely put an opponent at a slight disadvantage to learn Vedral has been 100% all along and getting 50% of the reps in practice and is passing and running the best he ever has. Not that any coach would actually do something like that. But it would be hilarious to watch the team come out of the tunnel pushing a big box to midfield. Then have Vedral pop out like a jack-in-box to start the game.

Reactions: tomatocan

I agree ☝️ 100% cause Noah will be fine whenever he gets healthy , check out those two bombs he tossed in sat game plus ran one in for a score .

Vedral's passing was better in first games because he had Cruickshank AND Melton playing.
Those two together gave defenses headaches
Once Cruickshank got hurt (Michigan St) it was easier to focus on Melton and the passing game tanked.
RU had only one passing TD the rest of the season

AJ424fa.jpg

He has Sean Ryan as a target now too. And more importantly - the OL is better despite some claiming otherwise. Pacheco was an NFL caliber RB and couldn’t do anything behind our line last year. Not being able to run really limited our options. Brown has looked like a stud with his carries and it seemed like Noah is going to be able to pick up some yards with his legs to keep defenses honest. Our fans need to stop worrying about QB play for the future right now. We need the supporting players and recruits to buy into our defense first, grind it out culture and winning as much as possible is what matters until a bowl bid is out of the picture. We didn’t need a stud QB to be 4-2 or better this year. Just remember that. We needed a reliable game manager.

Reactions: scarletbergen
PSAL you’re repeatedly stating what is obvious to most on the one hand but not seeing the other side like so many in this board.

The QB with the most experience will make the least mistakes. NV is the most cerebral QB we have had here in a very long time. His injury is killer for us. After BC I was happy to get a W and at the same time get great experience for Gavin and Evan for the future. Now after Nebraska I wish he was 100%.

For those fans who hate the ground and pound and play great Defense, Illinois just beat Iowa 9-6. We could be a very ugly 5-1 right now without turnovers. Our defense is that good. As it is, Illinois is a very ugly 5-1.

Reactions: redking
PSAL you’re repeatedly stating what is obvious to most on the one hand but not seeing the other side like so many in this board.

The QB with the most experience will make the least mistakes. NV is the most cerebral QB we have had here in a very long time. His injury is killer for us. After BC I was happy to get a W and at the same time get great experience for Gavin and Evan for the future. Now after Nebraska I wish he was 100%.

For those fans who hate the ground and pound and play great Defense, Illinois just beat Iowa 9-6. We could be a very ugly 5-1 right now without turnovers. Our defense is that good. As it is, Illinois is a very ugly 5-1.

I’m not sure what you mean by not seeing the other side. It’s only valuable to get young QBs more reps if you don’t kill the morale of everyone else on the team in the process. That’s what happens when you lose. It’s great that we were able to get Wimsatt and Evan experience in those first two games without losing, but based on what we’ve seen from them it seems doubtful we would be able to win many more games (if any) with either of them running the show.

I’m not sure what you mean by not seeing the other side. It’s only valuable to get young QBs more reps if you don’t kill the morale of everyone else on the team in the process. That’s what happens when you lose. It’s great that we were able to get Wimsatt and Evan experience in those first two games without losing, but based on what we’ve seen from them it seems doubtful we would be able to win many more games (if any) with either of them running the show.
You are beating a dead horse on Simon on this board like so many other do with every QB. We would be undefeated every year if we played the guy on the bench according to many. Lol. You have no way if saying we can’t win with other guys because each week will be a different scenario and they will get better each week as well. But I do agree the guy who makes the least mistakes is the right guy when the Defense is playing the way it is. That is not always the case but it is now.

The worst case of this was Teel in 2005 when we won every game he started. Hart did come off the bench to come back against U Conn but we won every start, gave Teel experience and then 2006 happened. Yet our fans trashed Teel and Schiano and many continued to trash Teel even in 2008. That’s the nature of the game but we have a lot of challenged fans. I sit near so many it actually hurts to listen to them.

You don’t want to be like them.

Someone said that the issue is with his hand. Specifically his ability to grip the ball.
It's sometimes fine and other times he can't grip properly. And it's not consistent. it can change from play to play.

Someone said that the issue is with his hand. Specifically his ability to grip the ball.
It's sometimes fine and other times he can't grip properly. And it's not consistent. it can change from play to play.
He shouldn't be playing at all in that case. If he cannot grip and hold the ball with consistency he shouldn't be on the field.

You are beating a dead horse on Simon on this board like so many other do with every QB. We would be undefeated every year if we played the guy on the bench according to many. Lol. You have no way if saying we can’t win with other guys because each week will be a different scenario and they will get better each week as well. But I do agree the guy who makes the least mistakes is the right guy when the Defense is playing the way it is. That is not always the case but it is now.

The worst case of this was Teel in 2005 when we won every game he started. Hart did come off the bench to come back against U Conn but we won every start, gave Teel experience and then 2006 happened. Yet our fans trashed Teel and Schiano and many continued to trash Teel even in 2008. That’s the nature of the game but we have a lot of challenged fans. I sit near so many it actually hurts to listen to them.

You don’t want to be like them.

Your example makes no sense at all. I never said that experience can’t or won’t end up being valuable to a young QB down the road. My point was that for Rutgers, right now, winning as much as possible and being competitive supersedes whatever value that might add because showing progress in the win / loss column matters most at this stage in the rebuild.

As for Simon, my posts have been in response to the anyone-but-Noah strings. It’s nonsense. Based on last week, NV the clear best choice right now and I find it mind boggling that anyone could think Evan is a better option. I’m sorry if that comes across to you as bashing Him but the output clearly does show to this point that if able to play, NV gives us a significantly better chance to win right now.

He shouldn't be playing at all in that case. If he cannot grip and hold the ball with consistency he shouldn't be on the field.

I don’t think it’s black and white like that. They obviously aren’t worried about him fumbling the football otherwise we wouldn’t have called all those QB reads. From the presser, it sounds more like at times when he goes to throw it can suddenly impact him like a cramp with certain jerking motions.

Regardless, the minutes he was able to contribute in the last game clearly gave the team the best chance to win of our available options on THAT GIVEN DAY (bolded for Yeah Baby’s benefit - it’s true each game is a new entity in itself. Perhaps next week Evan will be better, but I don’t think anyone would argue that our chances would’ve been better in the Nebraska game if NV didn’t play due to his gripping problem).

ADVERTISEMENT