ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Rutgers Wrestling Season Preview

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — As Rutgers wrestling gets ready to begin the 2022-23 season, there are a lot of questions to be answered.

In his 16th season with the program, head coach Scott Goodale is blessed with a roster full of talent in all 10 weight classes, but the Scarlet Knights’ leader will have tough decisions to make regarding the lineup.

According to Goodale, it is a good problem to have.

Someone please reconcile this with what we've been told about Poz redshirting...

"At 184 pounds, sophomore John Poznanski enters this season looking to build off his past accolades. The Colonia, New Jersey, native placed fourth in the country as a true freshman in 2021, but was unable to find the podium last season as he dealt with injuries during the 2021-22 campaign.

“I think that brought me back to where I have to be mentally, physically, and now I’m just ready to go,” Poznanski said. “I feel really good, I’m ready for the season, and ready to keep progressing.”"

Reactions: Vinny B
Someone please reconcile this with what we've been told about Poz redshirting...

"At 184 pounds, sophomore John Poznanski enters this season looking to build off his past accolades. The Colonia, New Jersey, native placed fourth in the country as a true freshman in 2021, but was unable to find the podium last season as he dealt with injuries during the 2021-22 campaign.

“I think that brought me back to where I have to be mentally, physically, and now I’m just ready to go,” Poznanski said. “I feel really good, I’m ready for the season, and ready to keep progressing.”"
Progression never stops . Regardless if he RS or not he should be ready for the season and be ready to keep getting better

Reactions: mikemessner

Refer to the following article:

On Sunday, Poznanski looked as sharp as he did on his All-American run, defeating Princeton’s Nate Dugan, 7-0, in the 184-pound final. He competed unattached to keep his redshirt option open.

“It’s still the same mindset, I’m just taking it day by day,” said Poznanski. “When the time comes, we’ll figure it out, talk to the coaches, talk to the family and do what’s best for me.

Goodale said you can wrestle up to 5 dates and keep a red shirt. Everyone can wrestle pretty much the entire first semester and still take a red shirt. Don’t know why we have to psychoanalyze every single quote.

Reactions: Bobbynieds

On Sunday, Poznanski looked as sharp as he did on his All-American run, defeating Princeton’s Nate Dugan, 7-0, in the 184-pound final. He competed unattached to keep his redshirt option open.

“It’s still the same mindset, I’m just taking it day by day,” said Poznanski. “When the time comes, we’ll figure it out, talk to the coaches, talk to the family and do what’s best for me.
Election results coming in. I'll read that later, but is sounding like an evolving situation.

Goodale said you can wrestle up to 5 dates and keep a red shirt. Everyone can wrestle pretty much the entire first semester and still take a red shirt. Don’t know why we have to psychoanalyze every single quote.
We're not questioning anything to do with the rule of five. I know the rest is hard for you, just try to keep up.

Only True Freshman can wrestle up to 5 dates and keep a red shirt. Any other wrestler who wrestles attached in a tournament or dual meet cannot redshirt this season. That is why I am expecting Soldano to hit his 5 dates right away to see how he does, then a decision will be made regarding he and Poz.

Only True Freshman can wrestle up to 5 dates and keep a red shirt. Any other wrestler who wrestles attached in a tournament or dual meet cannot redshirt this season. That is why I am expecting Soldano to hit his 5 dates right away to see how he does, then a decision will be made regarding he and Poz.
Oh I didn’t realize that. Must have misunderstood what Goodale said.

Still the point remains. Our resident conspiracy theorist thinks everybody is lying about the intentions. The plans can change but Poz saying he’s ready to wrestle doesn’t necessarily contradict what has been stated all along.

Oh I didn’t realize that. Must have misunderstood what Goodale said.

Still the point remains. Our resident conspiracy theorist thinks everybody is lying about the intentions. The plans can change but Poz saying he’s ready to wrestle doesn’t necessarily contradict what has been stated all along.
Let's see who has been right after it plays out.

Thanks for posting that article. It sheds some light on Glory's readiness. Still, Peterson and Shawver did well and both could represent 125 well.

The Poz quotes were interesting. It sounded like he is the decision maker and believes the spot is his if wanted. I don't understand why he wouldn't.

Some weights are covered better than others should back-ups be needed. I'm most concerned with 174 and 197.

174: Turley's shoulder could be a problem after the first few times it gets torqued. I think O'Neill would need to go back up to 174 in case something happens. Gayer at 165 may not be much of a fall-off.

197: Same deal here. This is where my earlier calls for Soldano to go 197 could pay off. I had thought Casale would go heavyweight and now he has. Poz looks to be back to form and wants to wrestle. There is no doubt that we want Poz and Soldano both in the line-up next year, so why not this year? I think Soldano should be gaining size and weight from building muscle mass. He'll be stronger by putting on weight and not having to diet. I keep thinking of Hahn when he did much better when moving up to 197. I would have liked to know how he faired against Janzer.

ADVERTISEMENT