ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Watch

Rutgers seems like it would be a good fit for Spencer. We don’t have a 2 guard on the roster. It’s true he played at a lower level, but he didn’t earn his points through high volume / low efficiency alla Peter Kiss). In the least, he’d instantly be the best spot shooter on the team. No clue about his defense though.

Reactions: Scangg
Rutgers seems like it would be a good fit for Spencer. We don’t have a 2 guard on the roster. It’s true he played at a lower level, but he didn’t earn his points through high volume / low efficiency alla Peter Kiss). In the least, he’d instantly be the best spot shooter on the team. No clue about his defense though.
He actually averaged more steals than Caleb last year.

He actually averaged more steals than Caleb last year.
I’m not saying he’s not a good defender (I’ve never seen him play) but Peter Kiss averaged 1.7 and 1.9 steals the past 2 years. That metric alone (especially at the low major level) is not indicative of a good defender.

Reactions: RUby RED and Scangg
I'm wonder about his defense too. Hammond is supposedly not a great defender, but he could also be using so much energy on offense he tries to conserve some on D. That's my hope anyway. He won't need to do that here.

Spencer can reallyyyy shoot the ball. Some of the shots in his highlights are so ridiculously pure that they just look different when they go through the net

I'm wonder about his defense too. Hammond is supposedly not a great defender, but he could also be using so much energy on offense he tries to conserve some on D. That's my hope anyway. He won't need to do that here.

Spencer can reallyyyy shoot the ball. Some of the shots in his highlights are so ridiculously pure that they just look different when they go through the net
Either guy would be a great addition. Both would be awesome. Pike seems to find ways to get the best defense out of a player.

On paper, Spencer seems like a great fit for our halfcourt offense with Paul running the point. His defense is a wildcard but on the other side, a sharp shooter like that would make for a great inside / outside game with Cliff.

I’m not sure how a guy like Hammond would feel about sharing the PG responsibilities with Paul or if the plan would be to shift Paul off ball. I’d love to have both, but if Pike’s not assuring Hammond that he’ll get to play point exclusively, we might not be his choice. The kid only has one year left to play.

On paper, Spencer seems like a great fit for our halfcourt offense with Paul running the point. His defense is a wildcard but on the other side, a sharp shooter like that would make for a great inside / outside game with Cliff.

I’m not sure how a guy like Hammond would feel about sharing the PG responsibilities with Paul or if the plan would be to shift Paul off ball. I’d love to have both, but if Pike’s not assuring Hammond that he’ll get to play point exclusively, we might not be his choice. The kid only has one year left to play.
Maybe Hammond doesn't mind playing off ball a little and getting more open spot up 3's.

If we have Paul n Cliff in the PnR with Spencer and Hammond spacing the floor, that is going to be tough to defend for any team.

Have Hammond run some point when we aren't using Paul n Cliff, but the pressure won't be on him to create every time down the floor

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
It could be a huge week for Rutgers basketball with these two on campus.

We could actually lose Harper and Geo and end up being a better 3 point shooting team
It’s probably a long shot, but if we were to add both of them and also find out that Caleb is returning - the potential would be there to have a really good year.

Reactions: Scangg and GRU23
Well isn't Hammond on campus and Spencer not yet?

Please please please mean its Hammond. Would love to lock him in and tell Mike Brey thanks but no thanks
It was reported Spencer on campus yesterday and today. Hammond coming today through tomorrow.

If you watch a Niagara game, he actually often didn’t take the ball up much. Most plays did end up with him creating tho, but I’m sure he’d be cool with playing a little more offball as long as he still gets his moments, which he definitely will. I honestly love his pairing with Mulcahy.

Maybe Hammond doesn't mind playing off ball a little and getting more open spot up 3's.

If we have Paul n Cliff in the PnR with Spencer and Hammond spacing the floor, that is going to be tough to defend for any team.

Have Hammond run some point when we aren't using Paul n Cliff, but the pressure won't be on him to create every time down the floor
Yup - totally possible. All I’m saying is with only one more year of eligibility and lots of good suitors, Hammond will probably come down to which roster provides the best situational opportunity based on what he wants. PT would be a near slam dunk at RU, even if Caleb comes back.

If you watch a Niagara game, he actually often didn’t take the ball up much. Most plays did end up with him creating tho, but I’m sure he’d be cool with playing a little more offball as long as he still gets his moments, which he definitely will. I honestly love his pairing with Mulcahy.
Good to hear. I’ve never seen either of them play (Hammond or Spencer).

I’m not saying he’s not a good defender (I’ve never seen him play) but Peter Kiss averaged 1.7 and 1.9 steals the past 2 years. That metric alone (especially at the low major level) is not indicative of a good defender.
Wasn’t necessarily saying he’d be a good defender. Just that if he was 13th in the whole NCAA in steals, he probably won’t hurt us defensively.

Hammond seems like he very well could hurt us defensively. Still a take for sure imo.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Spencer looks like he has good strength, but can he move laterally well enough to keep his man from penetrating? He doesn't look very fleet of foot in his highlights but none of them are defensive. He seems to move very deliberately with a purpose to get his shots off.

Those steals means he has some combination of quick hands and good anticipation.

Hammond looks like he has quickness and length to be a good perimeter defender. Really hope it's just a matter of defense not being the priority for him to lock in and focus on. Pike will make sure he does

Wasn’t necessarily saying he’d be a good defender. Just that if he was 13th in the whole NCAA in steals, he probably won’t hurt us defensively.

Hammond seems like he very well could hurt us defensively. Still a take for sure imo.
I don’t know if getting a lot of steals off of low major guards correlates with how he’ll defend at the high major level. If he has a tendency to overextend, that could be counter productive, for example. I’ve never seen him play so I really have no idea. I’m just saying that having 2-3 steals a game against the competition he played isn’t a strong indicator either way. On the other hand, being a consistent 3 point shooter, means you can nail open looks. I’d expect that to translate so I’d be excited to see what Paul could do in set rotation with a kid like that. Doesn’t matter who defended him, the Spencer kid can obviously hit shots if given any kind of space.

Reactions: RU23 and Scangg
IF our lineup is Hammond, Spencer, Mulcahy, Hyatt/Mag, and Cliff then we're going to be a lot more reliant on offense than we ever have been under Pikiell. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different thing. A lot of the defense would rest on Cliff turning into an elite rim protector which is possible (he's already a good one but he's not Myles Johnson on that side of the ball).

That lineup would have a pretty high offensive ceiling, for the record.

IF our lineup is Hammond, Spencer, Mulcahy, Hyatt/Mag, and Cliff then we're going to be a lot more reliant on offense than we ever have been under Pikiell. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different thing. A lot of the defense would rest on Cliff turning into an elite rim protector which is possible (he's already a good one but he's not Myles Johnson on that side of the ball).

That lineup would have a pretty high offensive ceiling, for the record.
Best case, McConnell returns with those 5. Spencer off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT