ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Watch

Best case, McConnell returns with those 5. Spencer off the bench.
This this and this again.

The longer this goes the more hopeful I’m getting (recipe for disappointment, I know).

Caleb wasn’t just close with Ron and Geo - him and Paul looked like close friends too. Let’s hope he decides to run it back.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
IF our lineup is Hammond, Spencer, Mulcahy, Hyatt/Mag, and Cliff then we're going to be a lot more reliant on offense than we ever have been under Pikiell. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different thing. A lot of the defense would rest on Cliff turning into an elite rim protector which is possible (he's already a good one but he's not Myles Johnson on that side of the ball).

That lineup would have a pretty high offensive ceiling, for the record.
That's what is interesting about Pike's approach in the portal. He clearly wants a dead eye 3 point shooter going after Wright and Spencer.

I think he realizes he really needs the floor spacer to go with the Paul n Cliff PnR.

How much can he get out of those lineups defensively is a question. It also makes Mag's development key as we need one perimeter stopper defender and that has to be Mag's role if these two commit

Reactions: RUby RED and RU23
Cam Spencer 18.9pts, 4.8reb, 3.2ast, 47%, 35%, 86%, career 38.8% on 3s
Marcus Hammond 18.1pts, 4.7reb, 2.9ast, 43%, 37%, 83%, career 37% on 3s
This past season.

While it would be nice to get both, I think it is first come, first commit, very similar players, unless Caleb is definitely not coming back. Both only 2 games in single digits Cam, 9 and 6, Marcus, 8 and 8. Marcus gets to the line more, Cam the better 2 PT shooter, 63% on 106att close 2, 47% on 163att mid, Marcus 51% on 95att, 45% on 121att. Either guy would be a great land, Cam 32 vs CoCharleston, 15 vs UNC, Marcus 25 vs Xavier, 22 vs Ohio St.

It would be very formidable to have a rotation of...
Hammond/Miller
Spencer/Simpson
Mulcahy/Caleb/Oskar
Hyatt/Mag
Cliff/Reiber/Woolfork

13th could be Jaden, walkon or Co2023?
If no Caleb, you might go for a 2/3 or 3/4 for 12th spot.

Last edited:
While it would be nice to get both, I think it is first come, first commit, very similar players, unless Caleb is definitely not coming back.
I agree. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we get/take 2 guards (unless Pike knows Caleb not coming back). Although if I read correctly, 1 has 1 year and the other has 2 years remaining? I could def see getting a 1 year + a multi year at the guard spot.

This past season.

While it would be nice to get both, I think it is first come, first commit, very similar players, unless Caleb is definitely not coming back. Both only 2 games in single digits Cam, 9 and 6, Marcus, 8 and 8. Marcus gets to the line more, Cam the better 2 PT shooter, 63% on 106att close 2, 47% on 163att mid, Marcus 51% on 95att, 45% on 121att. Either guy would be a great land, Cam 32 vs CoCharleston, 15 vs UNC, Marcus 25 vs Xavier, 22 vs Ohio St.

Miller/Simpson
Spencer/Hammond
Mulcahy/Caleb/Oskar
Hyatt/Mag
Cliff/Reiber/Woolfork

So Caleb McConnell comes off the bench in Year 5 and you start Miller, Spencer and Mulcahy ?

So Caleb McConnell comes off the bench in Year 5 and you start Miller, Spencer and Mulcahy ?
I fixed it, noticed my mistakes, Caleb would start obviously if he comes back. I was more or less typing by heights and not true positions.

Last edited:
Hammond Spencer Paul Hyatt Cliff would be the likely starting 5 if they both commit.

Could also see Spencer as a shooter off the bench if Pike is concerned defensively with that lineup and start Mag if he takes another step forward developmentally

Hammond Paul Mag Hyatt Cliff where you have Mag take the best wing scorer

If Caleb comes back, Hammond Paul Caleb Hyatt Cliff

Hammond Spencer Paul Hyatt Cliff would be the likely starting 5 if they both commit.

Could also see Spencer as a shooter off the bench if Pike is concerned defensively with that lineup and start Mag if he takes another step forward developmentally

Doesn't it seem like Hyatt has shown more as a wing scorer than Mag? We need another big. Pretty quiet on that front.

I think we take both. Similar stats don't mean similar players. Hammond can play point. Spencer will not. He's a SG only
I think we can take both too. We don’t really want our starters playing 34 minutes per game. Everyone would be better off playing 28ish.

I agree. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we get/take 2 guards (unless Pike knows Caleb not coming back). Although if I read correctly, 1 has 1 year and the other has 2 years remaining? I could def see getting a 1 year + a multi year at the guard spot.

My thinking was kind of the opposite on Caleb. I took looking at multiple guards who can shoot rather than a rebounder to mean he’s counting on having Caleb back.

Hyatt only played 12 mpg. Mag played even less. Pike (and fans) may hope these guys take the next step, but I don’t think pike would be counting on having to have at least one of them on the floor at all times based on what they provided last season - I’d think we’d be pushing hard for a 6-7 type with good rebounding and defensive stats if he didn’t think he was getting Caleb back at wing. Paul plays big too. Pike’s never had a problem playing Caleb and Paul together at 3-4.

I don’t know. It depends on how the incoming guards defend and how much improvement Hyatt or Mag show. I don’t think Pike would have a problem starting 2 new guards with Paul, Caleb and Cliff if that option was available to him.

I see Indiana got a five star forward who was originally committed to Florida but backed out when White went to UGA.

• Sad
Reactions: Scangg
This past season.

Hammond/Miller
Spencer/Simpson
Mulcahy/Caleb/Oskar
Hyatt/Mag
Cliff/Reiber/Woolfork

If no Caleb, you might go for a 2/3 or 3/4 for 12th spot.
Paul is our starting point guard on offense. Why change something that isn't broken? And Caleb starts if he comes back. Why are you guaranteeing the new guys starting spots?

Paul is our starting point guard on offense. Why change something that isn't broken? And Caleb starts if he comes back. Why are you guaranteeing the new guys starting spots?
Agree that there’s no way Caleb doesn’t start if he comes back. He’d play the same 29 mpg and it would probably be even more if he avoids foul trouble. This team would need his defense even more than last year’s.

It’s also not a lock though IMO that Hyatt or Mag would start. Would depend how the new guys pan out. Pike’s played Caleb / Paul at the 3 / 4 before.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
Doesn't it seem like Hyatt has shown more as a wing scorer than Mag? We need another big. Pretty quiet on that front.
I think Hyatt showed he was much more effective at the 4 and will start there where I like Mag is more valuable as an on ball perimeter defender more of a 3.

I do think Mag is better offensively than consensus and just got derailed with injuries

I think we can take both too. We don’t really want our starters playing 34 minutes per game. Everyone would be better off playing 28ish.
My hope was we play more up tempo. Push the ball on offense. The way Cliff can run the floor is a huge weapon if we can get out and run.

Crash the offensive boards. Pressure the ball. More movement and cutting on offense.

All this takes more energy which is tough when your starters are playing so many minutes. If we have a deeper rotation maybe we can play this style a bit more

Reactions: RU23
My hope was we play more up tempo. Push the ball on offense. The way Cliff can run the floor is a huge weapon if we can get out and run.

Crash the offensive boards. Pressure the ball. More movement and cutting on offense.

All this takes more energy which is tough when your starters are playing so many minutes. If we have a deeper rotation maybe we can play this style a bit more
It’s possible. We’d have a lot more options for subbing if we add 2 guards that shoot and don’t lose Caleb on D. Even if we only add one we’ll be in decent shape and could continue shopping.

Agree that there’s no way Caleb doesn’t start if he comes back. He’d play the same 29 mpg and it would probably be even more if he avoids foul trouble. This team would need his defense even more than last year’s.

It’s also not a lock though IMO that Hyatt or Mag would start. Would depend how the new guys pan out. Pike’s played Caleb / Paul at the 3 / 4 before.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Competition for pt would be with Hyatt, Mag, the new guys, and even Oskar. I'm not counting out Oskar as a 4. In the little time he got pt, he wasn't afraid to mix it up defensively. Hyatt, Mag and Oskar are all 3/4 position guys who are all physical. And Paul has played 3/4 on defense if the matchups warrant it. When Miller is at the 1, Paul would be off the ball, but Paul would get most minutes at the 1. I also wouldn't be surprised if Paul leads the team in scoring.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Competition for pt would be with Hyatt, Mag, the new guys, and even Oskar. I'm not counting out Oskar as a 4. In the little time he got pt, he wasn't afraid to mix it up defensively. Hyatt, Mag and Oskar are all 3/4 position guys who are all physical. And Paul has played 3/4 on defense if the matchups warrant it. When Miller is at the 1, Paul would be off the ball, but Paul would get most minutes at the 1. I also wouldn't be surprised if Paul leads the team in scoring.
Oskar did surprise me with his willingness to mix it up. He also tried to draw some charges. He wasn't so effective though and had trouble staying on his feet. Oskar needs to pack on a few pounds and maybe he can give some quality backup minutes at the 4. It's possible. We are told what a great athlete he is, but we haven't seen it at all on the court sadly

I don’t speculate.

As I said…Not here to BS anyone!

Here’s a little connection I’d be interested in, Cams brother Pat played with Ryan Young at Northwestern for a season.

Pikiell knows Ryan Young very well. No sought after big is coming here to sit behind cliff. Same reason Quinn went elsewhere after he confirmed he was returning.

Maybe Ryan Young would come to RU as he has 2 seasons yet to play and if Cliff only plays one more year he could start the following year. He has some very good moves and passes the ball well and is a decent rebounder who averaged 17 MPG at Northwestern. Maybe he would like a return to New Jersey. I know I am hoping we can add him.

Maybe Ryan Young would come to RU as he has 2 seasons yet to play and if Cliff only plays one more year he could start the following year. He has some very good moves and passes the ball well and is a decent rebounder who averaged 17 MPG at Northwestern. Maybe he would like a return to New Jersey. I know I am hoping we can add him.
I like Young's game a lot, but I reallyyy doubt it. 17mpg is more than what is available here. You never know though. Maybe he is home sick and wants to be on a winning team

3 open scholarships now. Pike saving one for Caleb leaves 2. Pike likes to leave one open and there is still 1 spot.

Do we target a backup big next? Hard to land anyone good with Cliff taking 30+ min but we still need depth especially if Woolfolk is redshirting. With the limited minutes does it make more sense to wait for some bigs who have their options dry up first?

If Caleb confirms he is not coming back, have to think we target a wing. I just don't expect to hear any real news where we are going hard after a wing until Caleb is confirmed one way or another

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT