ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Watch

He would have 3 years left yrs correct. Hawkins has big breakout potential. Would be a big get if we could get him to come here
I believe he would have 3, yes. Definitely could be a star, and would raise our defense ceiling to monumental heights

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
Lofton is good but I doubt he will come to RU. We have Mulcahy, Simpson and Miller at PG and if McConell comes back he could play a bit at PG as well. Lofton is use to playing over 30 mpg and I am certain he would want all of that. Maybe he could go to SHU.

What basis is there for anyone thinking Hawkins is going to enter the portal? This sounds like a WFAN caller suggesting the Yankees trade a bunch of bench guys for Shohei Ohtani.
I had to look it up on Twitter and see if there’s any buzz and found nothing

Reactions: shields
What basis is there for anyone thinking Hawkins is going to enter the portal? This sounds like a WFAN caller suggesting the Yankees trade a bunch of bench guys for Shohei Ohtani.
Well, there’s comments from Coleman saying he will have to “see who comes in” and that he felt it’s been hard to talk to Underwood, Ant Wright has been hinting at it happening and he has some sources, and there’s been some smoke around Pete Nance heading to Illinois. We’ll find out today I think if there’s a real chance of it.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very pleased if he ended up at Rutgers. I just hadn't seen anything indicating he was looking to make a change.

Reactions: GRU23
Syracuse's Frank Anselem to Georgia

Also,

Michigan's Frankie Collins has entered the portal... Wisconsin's Ben Carlson to Utah.
Seton Hall's Brandon Weston and Tyler Powell have entered the portal.
Wofford's Max Klesmit to Wisconsin.

(FYI, I generally only post transfer news regarding B1G schools or that involves players many of us are familiar with, or who have been mentioned previously in this forum... So hopefully it's not too much.)

Last edited:
Syracuse's Frank Anselem to Georgia

Also,

Michigan's Frankie Collins has entered the portal... Wisconsin's Ben Carlson to Utah.
Seton Hall's Brandon Weston and Tyler Powell have entered the portal.
Wofford's Max Klesmit to Wisconsin.

(FYI, I generally only post transfer news regarding B1G schools or that involves players many of us are familiar with, or who have been mentioned previously in this forum... So hopefully it's not too much.)
Collins is a decent player. Surprised by that one

Mulcahy abused Ryan Young when we played at NW this season. Is Young good enough for Duke?
That was Ryan Greer that Mulcahy kept backing down and scoring on. Ryan Young is their pretty solid big man.

Duke's MO lately has been to bring in a very capable big man to be their backup -- Patrick Tape, then Theo John, now Ryan Young. When you're Duke you can bring guys in to play 10-15 minutes a night.

Kind of surprised by this one. Don’t think he’s good enough to get a lot of minutes there.
The #1 prospect in the class is a center, Dereck Lively, who's headed to Duke. I assume Young is going there knowing he's going to play backup minutes at best. Being a Duke basketball player (even just for a year) probably opens a bunch of doors for his post-basketball career.

Last edited:
The #1 prospect in the class is a center, Dereck Lively. I assume Young is going there knowing he's going to play backup minutes at best. Being a Duke basketball player (even just for a year) probably opens a bunch of doors for his post-basketball career.
True.. From the class of 2022 Duke is bringing in five star 7'1" Lively (#1 center prospect nationally), five star 6' 11" Kyle Filipowski, (#2 center prospect nationally), and 7'1" Christian Reeves (#25 center prospect nationally), along with five star 6'8" PF Mark Mitchell (#3 PF prospect nationally).. They're really inexperienced in the paint since they're losing all of their players who played the post position last season, and someone with Young's experience and knowledge should be helpful.

I found this interesting... New Mexico State SG Teddy Allen, the '21-'22 WAC player of the year (19.6 PPG, 6.7 Reb), has just entered the transfer portal. We probably remember him from his 2020-2021 season at Nebraska where he averaged 16.5 PPG.

Interestingly, his new school will be his 6th school in 6 years.

2017-2018 - West Virginia
2018-2019 - sat out after transfer waiver request to play immediately denied
2019 - Wichita State, dismissed from team in June for domestic arrest
2019-2020 - Western Nebraska Community College
2020-2021 - Nebraska
2021-2022 - New Mexico State
2022-2023 - ???

Reactions: rubigtimenow
True.. From the class of 2022 Duke is bringing in five star 7'1" Lively (#1 center prospect nationally), five star 6' 11" Kyle Filipowski, (#2 center prospect nationally), and 7'1" Christian Reeves (#25 center prospect nationally), along with five star 6'8" PF Mark Mitchell (#3 PF prospect nationally).. They're really inexperienced in the paint since they're losing all of their players who played the post position last season, and someone with Young's experience and knowledge should be helpful.
I guess the three kids 6'11'' or taller can play multiple positions because otherwise I can't see how even Duke is successful in selling all three major PT. And then bringing in Young on top of that? Smells of money.

Here's a good combination of a guy we heavily recruited in HS who was productive at his first stop but not SO good that everyone will want him. He did have offers in HS from UCLA and Kansas though who knows how committable those were. And I'm also not sure we have the minutes he'd want. But worth taking a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg and gregkoko
I guess the three kids 6'11'' or taller can play multiple positions because otherwise I can't see how even Duke is successful in selling all three major PT. And then bringing in Young on top of that? Smells of money.
Friend of mine is a Duke fan, and thinks they'll redshirt Reeves and use Young's experience to get the others ready (and see the floor when they have foul trouble)

Here's a good combination of a guy we heavily recruited in HS who was productive at his first stop but not SO good that everyone will want him. He did have offers in HS from UCLA and Kansas though who knows how committable those were. And I'm also not sure we have the minutes he'd want. But worth taking a look.

He’d be a nice pickup.

He’d be a nice pickup.
Agree, but I'd guess that he's probably not looking to be a backup. Gueye played with Mawot Mag at Prolific Prep. He's from Senegal.

He started 33 games as a freshman at Washington State, averaged 22 min per game. 49% FG, but also only 49% FT. Made the PAC-12 Conference all freshman team.

Last edited:
It’s a great school in a cool town with great connections. Pretty much ticks all the boxes to me, unless you’re specifically talking about basketball players who might not care about that?
I lived in DC for grad school. It’s the worst town. Full of pompous political
dorks with their security clearances and a stunning lack of attractive females.

they play in an arena in the opposite side of the city than their campus. And there is no subway stop in Gtown so good luck getting to the arena easily. The campus is cool, it’s a great school, and the tombs is a decent bar, plus you can walk the exorcist stairs, but it’s the pits compared to many other cities in this country.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
UConn 6'9" PF Akok Akok to Georgetown.
Delaware 6'9" PF Andrew Carr (10PTS, 5.1 RB, 56.4% FG, 40.5% 3PT) to Wake Forest

they play in an arena in the opposite side of the city than their campus. And there is no subway stop in Gtown so good luck getting to the arena easily. The campus is cool, it’s a great school, and the tombs is a decent bar, plus you can walk the exorcist stairs, but it’s the pits compared to many other cities in this country.
The comments have nothing to do with attending the school there. As a regular student Georgetown would be a great choice. The home court atmosphere at the Verizon Center just isn’t very good.

DC has loads of attractive women

Reactions: SteveVA2 and rume
I found this interesting... New Mexico State SG Teddy Allen, the '21-'22 WAC player of the year (19.6 PPG, 6.7 Reb), has just entered the transfer portal. We probably remember him from his 2020-2021 season at Nebraska where he averaged 16.5 PPG.

Interestingly, his new school will be his 6th school in 6 years.

2017-2018 - West Virginia
2018-2019 - sat out after transfer waiver request to play immediately denied
2019 - Wichita State, dismissed from team in June for domestic arrest
2019-2020 - Western Nebraska Community College
2020-2021 - Nebraska
2021-2022 - New Mexico State
2022-2023 - ???
I'd rather have Muhamed Husani

Reactions: RUenvsci
It smells of wanting to play for a team that can win a national championship every year.

I'd rather have Muhamed Husani
I absolutely wasn't trying to suggest that Teddy Allen should be a Rutgers target... I found the Teddy Allen transfer interesting because he was the player who left the Nebraska team before the season was over on the same day that we lost to them in Lincoln, and primarily because his next school would be the guy's sixth school in six years... Hope he has durable luggage...
(He set the Nebraska arena scoring record on Feb 23, 2021 in their 86-83 loss to Penn State (41pts, 16-24FG, 6-9 3PT, 3-3 FT, 6 AST) and then left the team the following week on March 1st...)

Kid's had a troubled life, even prior to college.

Reactions: kcg88
It smells of wanting to play for a team that can win a national championship every year.
And if by chance a student athlete is also looking for the best academics, Duke and Stanford are often considered to be the top schools academically of the Power 6 Conference teams... Duke obviously has the basketball advantage. (Both schools are usually ranked among the top 10 colleges and universities in America for academics.)

ADVERTISEMENT