ADVERTISEMENT

2022 7 foot Center Peter Carey

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scangg and MadRU
The his kid moves very well for his size and has a decent handle. Needs to hit the weight room but has a pretty high ceiling if you ask me. Would be an awesome pick up.

Winning recruiting battles against teams with high name recognition would be a signal that Rutgers is moving upward in talent which is necessary to successfully compete in the B1G on a sustained basis.

The his kid moves very well for his size and has a decent handle. Needs to hit the weight room but has a pretty high ceiling if you ask me. Would be an awesome pick up.
Looks like a better than decent handle. Seems exceptional.

Winning recruiting battles against teams with high name recognition would be a signal that Rutgers is moving upward in talent which is necessary to successfully compete in the B1G on a sustained basis.

Indeed. Ten or even five years ago Syracuse could take a recruit away from us pretty much at will. Hopefully that’s no longer the case.

Reactions: Eagleton96
They’ll grab Hurley from UConn unless they hire from within. Boeheim was an assistant and became a head when his head coach went south. The alleged replacement coach fled to the State of Washington as JB want to be the longest tenured coach in history. He is almost 80 and will be falling asleep on the bench soon.

Could come down to Syracuse and Rutgers. Both HC's recently went to see him in person.

Not sure if he has Rutgers official visit scheduled.

About 2 weeks ago, I was listening to a Syracuse basketball recruiting podcast. I had no idea Carey was also a Rutgers recruit, and the podcasters did not mention it. Since then, things have changed. Syracuse’s top recruit has decommitted (presumably because of NIL) and also Carey scheduled his visit for next week. So this is old news, and also NOT from me, but from the podcasters at Cuse Militia

They said Carey had not been offered a Syracuse scholarship because SU is waiting for someone else to decide. Their opinion was that Carey was a major project who likely would not play year 1, and maybe never contribute. Again, not my opinion. I have no idea, it is just what I heard.

To follow up, here is something from Syracuse newspaper mailbox. The fans are actually criticizing Boeheim for recruiting Carey. Syracuse has a very long list of 7-foot players who were never very good or very really contributed, so fans are skeptical. Also Syracuse newspapers and fans tend to be much more critical of team and coach and players, compared to Rutgers
Rutgers https://www.syracuse.com/orangebask...d-recruit-like-peter-carey-mikes-mailbox.html

They’ll grab Hurley from UConn unless they hire from within. Boeheim was an assistant and became a head when his head coach went south. The alleged replacement coach fled to the State of Washington as JB want to be the longest tenured coach in history. He is almost 80 and will be falling asleep on the bench soon.

McNamara is the heir apparent there

Reactions: Scangg
Why would Hurley make that move? He's putting together top 10 recruiting classes and UConn has a better hoops program than Syracuse. Hurley also makes more than Boeheim.

Want to see Carey in scarlet. Want to watch him for 4 years and never see his "handle." Every dribble from 7 footer takes 12 seconds to hit the floor and return to his hand. It does show his athleticism. Lots of reasons to pick RU over Cuse. Outside of Rony Seikly, I don't think Boeheim does a great job developing centers offensively.

Want to see Carey in scarlet. Want to watch him for 4 years and never see his "handle." Every dribble from 7 footer takes 12 seconds to hit the floor and return to his hand. It does show his athleticism. Lots of reasons to pick RU over Cuse. Outside of Rony Seikly, I don't think Boeheim does a great job developing centers offensively.
Boeheim also won’t be there much longer.

Reactions: shields
Exposure and reputation. Just to say I did it a P5 conference. When Calhoun was there UConn was on equal footing with Pitt, BC, Ru, etc athletically. Now basketball and Olympic sports drive the athletic department as football has been destroyed Syracuse is just a bigger stage and Bobby is on a bigger stage. Think there has always been competition between the brothers and Danny always being in second place.

Louie and Bowie?

Louie and Bowie?
No way anybody from the Law class of 2007 remembers the Louie and Bouie show. Roosevelt Bouie was the center and despite being "dominant" he scored 10 to 15 ppg for his college career and only got an NBA sniff. What's telling is that Danny Schayes was also on those early Boeheim teams and barely got any oxygen despite going on to having an 18 year NBA career.
As for Louie Orr he was more of a classic forward. He's not a bad basketball coach but Bowling Green was a bad move that effectively ended his career. I thought SHU made a big mistake when they fired him.

Side note rony is now an excellent DJ. Dhout out to his Sugar Free Radio podcast

ADVERTISEMENT