ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2022 Rutgers Football Depth Chart

AM ClocksPF

Freshman
Nov 18, 2019
Saw that the 2 deep has been released.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ahead-of-season-opener-vs-boston-college.html

Lots of 'OR' at the starters including QB.

Only 2 LBs and 5 secondary on that list for defense. I had thought that a 4-2-5 may be the way we play some passing teams but didn't think BC was a spread Offense. at 6'3 205 Desmond Igbinosun has nice size and is almost a LB size.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a national secret

FbbXTzfX0AMxFYH

My man Hollin Pierce wins a starting job! Also, are we only going with 2 LBs as a base? Would make sense. A little surprised at the "Ors" at WR.

My man Hollin Pierce wins a starting job! Also, are we only going with 2 LBs as a base? Would make sense. A little surprised at the "Ors" at WR.
Not true. He is an OR
Only DiRienzo, Ireland Brown and Willie Tyler III are listed as starting OL without the OR. Technicality.

Lots of sophomores on the DL. Interesting.

Looks like Pierce is the starter to me. I see the OR on the 2nd line, not the top one.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why was this released today when we were told maybe Saturday?

Has Greg blown our secrecy cover?

So from the depth chart, looks like they’ll run a 4-2-5. I’m guessing they’ll go to 3 LBs on run downs or maybe use Igbinosun as a hybrid S/LB a bit.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
It’s not surprising with the 4-2-5 alignment which many are going to these days. I have a question about the LBs. What is the situation with Khayri Banton? He was a highly regarded recruit 2 years ago, very athletic, a 4 star player. To date he has not shown up on the depth chart and I never hear any mention of him.

2 Linebackers??????
Chris Conti transferred
Drew Singleton denied
Moses Walker and Khayri Banton injured
Jennings and Powell are the only experience LBs we have.
Austin Dean, a 3⭐ from 2021, played 8 games, mostly special teams, Andrew Vince a 2 year walk-on never seeing the field and Wright-Collins, a RB turned LB. Everyone else are Walkons.

Besides maybe using the light DEs like Kenny Fletcher or Jahzion Harris at LB, 4-2-5 is their only option with more depth at DB.

I like the size of our OL.

Chris Conti transferred
Drew Singleton denied
Austin Dean, a 3⭐ from 2021, played 8 games, mostly special teams, Andrew Vince a 2 year walk-on never seeing the field and Wright-Collins, a RB turned LB. Everyone else are Walkons.

Besides maybe using the light DEs like Kenny Fletcher or Jahzion Harris at LB, 4-2-5 is their only option with more depth at DB.
what happened to Banton? Can’t find any news about him.

what happened to Banton? Can’t find any news about him.
He's on crutches, believe he broke his leg and out for the year. Also, these have to be our biggest O and D lines yet. If they can move, we can compete in the trenches.

Last edited:
He's on crutches, believe he broke his leg and out for the year. Also, these have to be our biggest line yet. If they can move, we can compete in the trenches.
When did he get injured? I saw an APP article posted August 9 that had him as part of the depth there.

When did he get injured? I saw an APP article posted August 9 that had him as part of the depth there.
I don't tweet but my wife follows all things Rutgers, I think the twitter post of him on crutches was from Aug. 22. So, it only happened a little over a week ago. Just really tough luck at the LB position.

Chris Conti transferred
Drew Singleton denied

And Toure out for the year on Defense. Injuries making havoc on the D.
We have taken monumental huge hits at LB due to Graduation and Injuries. This is why we are 2 base at LB this season.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
A lot more definitive for the D than the O. I guess the QB mystery is to keep BC from game planning.

Chris Conti transferred
Drew Singleton denied

I know that Moses Walker was injured but I was actually hoping that Anthony Johnson would make the 2 deep with all the injuries we have seen. He was the other highly ranked LB in the class.

Also really shocked that WR Dremel beats out Isiah Washington on the 2 deep ? WOW
You do know that Dremel is a slot and Washington is very far from being a slot receiver right?

Having said that I’m surprised he’s not listed somewhere. Shows we have a lot of talent. Maybe he’s banged up?

I know that Moses Walker was injured but I was actually hoping that Anthony Johnson would make the 2 deep with all the injuries we have seen. He was the other highly ranked LB in the class.
I’m surprised Anthony Johnson, a 4-star recruit, can’t beat walk-on.

He’s a true freshman. Only one Freshman on the depth chart and that is at RB which is the position most likely to have a Freshman play.

Correction - then there is Gavin at a position where True Freshman may ply the least outside of maybe OL and he’s right there fighting for the job.

Last edited:
I think all three QBs will wind up playing. Vedral will wind up starting and Simon and Wimsatt will split remaining reps.

This is based on nothing more than a hunch.

I think all three QBs will wind up playing. Vedral will wind up starting and Simon and Wimsatt will split remaining reps.

This is based on nothing more than a hunch.
hopfully your hunch means RU blows out BC and the romp is so bad that Greg is able to give every player on roster a little playing time.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Surprised Cam’ron Stewart didn’t make the two deep at DE. He’s put on weight and should see time. He saw time last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT