ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Schedule Question

Syracuse is fully booked for 2022. Do not want them anyway. Already have @BC and @Temple. 11 P5's plus a high level G5 is not what we're looking for.

I suspect we'll buy a low level G5, or preferably FCS. I don't know what the current B1G policy on scheduling FCS is though. Last I looked, you could only schedule FCS every other year.

Syracuse is fully booked for 2022. Do not want them anyway. Already have @BC and @Temple. 11 P5's plus a high level G5 is not what we're looking for.

I suspect we'll buy a low level G5, or preferably FCS. I don't know what the current B1G policy on scheduling FCS is though. Last I looked, you could only schedule FCS every other year.
I think that part has something to do with when you just have the 4 vs. 5 home B1G sked?

Again, and I know I am in the minority here but I have been on the record since the beginning saying I would prefer a 10 game B1G slate (5H/5A) and just 2 OOC games.

I think that part has something to do with when you just have the 4 vs. 5 home B1G sked?

Again, and I know I am in the minority here but I have been on the record since the beginning saying I would prefer a 10 game B1G slate (5H/5A) and just 2 OOC games.

10 is way too many conference games. If you want balance, go back to 8.

Maybe a compromise at 9? :P
The odd number is part of the problem for the H/A balance.

I think 10 solves it better than 8. Since it’s easier to shop for 2 OOC (when one will be a bought game anyway) instead of 4.

The odd number is part of the problem for the H/A balance.

I think 10 solves it better than 8. Since it’s easier to shop for 2 OOC instead of 4.
The problem with 10 is that it makes it impossible to get seven home games every year. Unless you are willing to buy both OOC home games every year, which means you never play a P5 OOC, since every P5 (ourselves included) would demand a home and home.

Of course, we aren't playing seven home games this year, nor will we next year, thanks to Pernetti's decision to give Temple a two-and-two. So maybe that ship has sailed, in which case you are right.

The problem with 10 is that it makes it impossible to get seven home games every year. Unless you are willing to buy both OOC home games every year, which means you never play a P5 OOC, since every P5 (ourselves included) would demand a home and home.

Of course, we aren't playing seven home games this year, nor will we next year, thanks to Pernetti's decision to give Temple a two-and-two. So maybe that ship has sailed, in which case you are right.
While I would prefer like you to tell Temple, 2 or 3 to 1, I am okay with it as it almost ends up being a home game for us anyway. Just like when State Penn plays at the Linc. While not a Philadelphia fan (city or sports) at all I have to say the set up they have there for all 4 sports is pretty good. And it’s very easy for almost all of us to get there, in and out. So there is your 6 “+” home games. LOL

And with 10 B1G games, we are going to get enough of P5 opponents.

Me personally, I would rather pay to see more of the B1G West teams at the Stadium than a bought MAC school, sara or BCU.

Last edited:
While I would prefer like you to tell Temple, 2 or 3 to 1, I am okay with it as it almost ends up being a home game for us anyway. Just like when State Penn plays at the Linc. While not a Philadelphia fan (city or sports) at all I have to say the set up they have there for all 4 sports is pretty good. And it’s very easy for almost all of us to get there, in and out. So there is your 6 “+” home games. LOL

And with 10 B1G games, we are going to get enough of P5 opponents.

Me personally, I would rather pay to see more of the B1G West teams at the Stadium than a bought MAC school, sara or BCU.
That's a good point. A 2 home/2 road series with Temple isn't bad considering the 2 games at the Linc will be de facto home games for us anyway.

To the original topic of needing a game in 2022, there is an obvious response. Monmouth. Their schedule is open on September 10, which is the date on which we need a game.

Reactions: colbert17
I will be stunned if we don’t make up that Monmouth game at some point. Between the campus being two feet from Piscataway , PR perspective, and their sports across the board providing easy travel for both teams, it makes the most sense. In addition, we end up paying them a LOT less than other out of conference football opponents like Maine State, Wyoming Tech, University of Plattsburgh, etc.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I will be stunned if we don’t make up that Monmouth game at some point. Between the campus being two feet from Piscataway , PR perspective, and their sports across the board providing easy travel for both teams, it makes the most sense. In addition, we end up paying them a LOT less than other out of conference football opponents like Maine State, Wyoming Tech, University of Plattsburgh, etc.
PR perspective?

Other than no one getting hurt I can’t really think of any positives for this one. And who cares how close they are, it’s not like we are ever going to West Long Branch for a game.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
PR perspective?

Other than no one getting hurt I can’t really think of any positives for this one. And who cares how close they are, it’s not like we are ever going to West Long Branch for a game.
You missed the most important positive, a "W". We need to get to a bowl, and we need six of them to do it.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Have the Jersey Mike's founder donate the cost to pay Monmouth to play us.. it would essentially be a donation to Monmouth.. his alma mater.. and for us to get a free home game.. win-win.. give him full use of the club level for as many guests as he likes.. the well-heeled Rutgers fans can rough it for one game..

You missed the most important positive, a "W". We need to get to a bowl, and we need six of them to do it.
There are other ways to get that easy win.

Other than that what is the positive for this particular FCS opponent?

No way in hell do I want 10 B1G games. There is not a single reason to want to do that.
let’s do 9 B1G an easy P5 or at least not elite. A mid to low G5 and a Monmouth or UMass type game when we can.
we need 3 OOC wins.
with a schedule that has 9 B1G games plus another P5- we already have a SOS that would be respected. I don’t understand the point of taking away a potential easy win.

Delaware is 4-0 right now.. during Spring football season for FBS.. I suspect FBS teams will be quite prepared for fall football in this 2021.

This is no pushover game. Many on here think we are Alabama all of a sudden.

This is no pushover game. Many on here think we are Alabama all of a sudden.
We win the first three games by at least 30+ points each, with an average margin close to 40 points. Temple is probably one of the worst football teams in the FBS, Syracuse is not far behind, toughest game might actually be Delaware, but look for that to be a 30+ point victory. We may not be Alabama yet, but we are a legit B1G program on the rise.

We win the first three games by at least 30+ points each, with an average margin close to 40 points. Temple is probably one of the worst football teams in the FBS, Syracuse is not far behind, toughest game might actually be Delaware, but look for that to be a 30+ point victory. We may not be Alabama yet, but we are a legit B1G program on the rise.

Brilliant.... :Hammer Nails:

Delaware goes to 5-0. But without Tubby Raymond they are not beating Rutgers, though they do have a coach who has been around the Div-1 block — the son of a Penn State assistant coach, he has been an assistant at Virginia, Maryland, Texas, Boston College, Colorado — and knows how to win games.

ADVERTISEMENT