ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 ATH Deondre Johnson commits to RFootball

WTH is “in popular culture” and whose culture is that exactly? Not everything is based upon a “ CULTURE”. Did you grow up in the Saved By the Bell Culture?

Exactly, “popular culture”, more like flavor of the month.

There is a great article in the NYT(?) that told how Northeastern figures out the algorithm used by US News to game the system and move up on the list. Way up.
Ratings really don't matter, unless a student chooses an Ivy, MIT, Stanford, elite schools such as UChicago, and Northwestern (not a full list), and a select handful of other "public Ivies" such as Cal Berkeley and UCLA (not a full list). For everyone else, it is not where you go, but what you do while you are there and what you do after you leave.

BTW, apparently Northeastern computer science majors do quite well. Northeastern often beats out top schools like Carnegie Mellon in Hackathons (a nerd olympics for computer science types).

Exactly, “popular culture”, more like flavor of the month.

There is a great article in the NYT(?) that told how Northeastern figures out the algorithm used by US News to game the system and move up on the list. Way up.
My niece graduated from the co-op program at Northeastern a few years ago. The co-op work experience over 4-5 years of school is equal to 2-3 years of industry experience. She is in Financial Services in NYC and is well set.

Northeasterns reputation has skyrocked the past ten years, maybe as a result of them manipulating the US News algorithm. Makes sense. My uncles went there years ago when it was a commuter school without D1 athletics. Now it has built itself into a highly desirable school in downtown Boston. You can walk to Fenway Park and the entire city from their campus and it’s very tough to be admitted.

They are in a great location in Boston and have leveraged that advantage. They also have overseas satellite campuses with partners in Dublin, London, Greece(?) and other world wide locations. That allows NU to accept hs seniors and locate them overseas for 1st semester, and then guarantee them on campus housing in Boston 2nd semester freshman year, when there will be vacancies in the dorms and in the classes.

The co-op education format is truly a winner for the schools like Drexel and Northeastern that use it. Graduates are in demand during hiring, compared to standard grads with limited industry experience. Parents should value that imo.

Last edited:
My niece graduated from the co-op program at Northeastern a few years ago. The co-op work experience over 4-5 years of school is equal to 2-3 years of industry experience. She is in Financial Services in NYC and is well set.

Northeasterns reputation has skyrocked the past ten years, maybe as a result of them manipulating the US News algorithm. Makes sense. My uncles went there years ago when it was a commuter school without D1 athletics. Now it has built itself into a highly desirable school in downtown Boston. You can walk to Fenway Park and the entire city from their campus and it’s very tough to be admitted.

They are in a great location in Boston and have leveraged that advantage. They also have overseas satellite campuses with partners in Dublin, London, Greece(?) and other world wide locations. That allows NU to accept hs seniors and locate them overseas for 1st semester, and then guarantee them on campus housing in Boston 2nd semester freshman year, when there will be vacancies in the dorms and in the classes.

The co-op education format is truly a winner for the schools like Drexel and Northeastern that use it. Graduates are in demand during hiring, compared to standard grads with limited industry experience. Parents should value that imo.
My nephew did that and loved it.

Not my cup of tea. I’d rather start on campus with guaranteed housing and then go abroad.

Welcome to the number 57 university in the world and your Scarlet Knights !!!
As soon as you say something like this it begs the question... how many P5 schools are a better number? Or even.. how many SEC or Big Ten (since some think it will be P2 eventually) have a better number? Just say "one of the best".. it is true and doesn't lead anywhere else.

Not my cup of tea. I’d rather start on campus with guaranteed housing and then go abroad.
I worked a short time with a Northeastern work-study grad... I think its a good thing. It is easier to get your foot in the door that way and if you prove your worth.. you are in.. if not, you learn something to take with you for your next attempt without leaving a bad mark "on your permanent record".

I worked a short time with a Northeastern work-study grad... I think its a good thing. It is easier to get your foot in the door that way and if you prove your worth.. you are in.. if not, you learn something to take with you for your next attempt without leaving a bad mark "on your permanent record".
I meant starting off your college experience NOT at your college.

The co-op thing is a great idea. I like that part.👍

Congrats to the kid and hope he does well. Looks like he got the skills to play at the next level. Just a matter if he can do this vs P5 teams as a WR or TE. I’d give him every shot in the world to play at those spots first. Heck, can he play DB at that level?

How’s the competition Newburgh Academy plays against?
low/very low.

That was the condition of my niece’s acceptance offer from Northeastern. It said you’re accepted but need to spend the 1st semester at a satellite location. She chose London for 1st semester, then checked into her on campus dorm room in Jan for 2nd semester. It worked well. NE gets to expand its outreach and enrollment with satellite locations and freshmen get to spend a semester abroad. They traveled all over Europe that semester in London.

Last edited:
That was the condition of my niece’s acceptance offer from Northeastern. It said you’re accepted but need to spend the 1st semester at a satellite location. She chose London for 1st semester, then checked into her on campus dorm room in Jan for 2nd semester. It worked well. NE gets to expand its outreach and enrollment with satellite locations and freshmen get to spend a semester abroad. They traveled all over Europe that semester in London.
It’s a great idea.

But not out of the gate.

Pretty sure that was the deal for my nephew too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT