ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NJ H.S.recruits...best ever??

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
Wow. Just looked through the rivals 2023 150 rankings (kids who are juniors this year) and it is littered with NJ kids. . Do we stand well with any of these kids. Would be amazing if we could land a few?
Is this most ever talent for one year in NJ. 7 kids in top 60 nationally.

Rivals 150 for class of 2023

1. Dejuan Wagner Jr. (Camden)
3. McKenzie Mgbako (Gill st bernards)
15. Simon Wilcher (roselle catholic)
22. Aaron Bradshaw (Camden)
32. Jaydon Lemond (Blair)
54. Aaron Clark (St Benedict's)
59. Akil Watson ( Don Bosco)

Wonder how the math will work out for scholarships. Obviously a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in a bush but man…

I don't believe we're very active in the recruitment of any of them. Wagner is probably going to Kentucky (his dad played for Coach Cal). We offered Mgbako but he blew up and is being recruiting by Kentucky/Duke/UNC. Wilcher's also getting big time offers and his brother just transferred from Xavier to Nebraska, so not much interest in staying home. Miami and LSU are in on Bradshaw and, well, the kind of player considering those schools generally isn't who Pikiell wants (Aundre Hyatt aside, but LSU came in late on him iirc). Lemond doesn't have a Rutgers offer and just visited some southeast schools. I assume Pikiell got word that recruiting him wouldn't be worth the time. Aaron Clark's recruitment has been pretty quiet so far. And the Watsons (Akil has a brother Tarik who is an even better prospect in the 2024 class) are from New York, not New Jersey. They just moved here to play high school here for whatever reason but there's no "staying home" reason for them to choose Rutgers.

Wow. Just looked through the rivals 2023 150 rankings (kids who are juniors this year) and it is littered with NJ kids. . Do we stand well with any of these kids. Would be amazing if we could land a few?
Is this most ever talent for one year in NJ. 7 kids in top 60 nationally.

Rivals 150 for class of 2023

1. Dejuan Wagner Jr. (Camden)
3. McKenzie Mgbako (Gill st bernards)
15. Simon Wilcher (roselle catholic)
22. Aaron Bradshaw (Camden)
32. Jaydon Lemond (Blair)
54. Aaron Clark (St Benedict's)
59. Akil Watson ( Don Bosco)
Did you click on their names to see if RU offered any of them?

Reactions: superfan01
The recruiting issue in a ideal world would be to attract elite players from New Jersey to save money on recruiting trips and increase interest in Rutgers as a destination school..Reality,however.shows that elite NJ basketball recruits prefer playing out of state at schools with high name profiles for success.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
He made about $8 million in salary over those 4-5 years. The median annual income in Camden is $27K.
Tremendous earnings for a young person over 4 years. Not taking that away from him. Better question is what was his burn rate? How much did the agent make? How much was lost to taxes? His career was over by the time he turned 23.
That is not never work another day in your life money. And many people that have been in similar situations return to their inner city settings.

Tremendous earnings for a young person over 4 years. Not taking that away from him. Better question is what was his burn rate? How much did the agent make? How much was lost to taxes? His career was over by the time he turned 23.
That is not never work another day in your life money. And many people that have been in similar situations return to their inner city settings.
Let’s say he cleared half in 4 years ? He probably also had some endorsement money too . Could have bought some assets that appreciated like a house or stocks. That’s still good coin and way above what the median salary is in Camden . It would be an epic failure if he moved back there for financial reasons . That is why I say he chooses to live there. .

Let’s say he cleared half in 4 years ? He probably also had some endorsement money too . Could have bought some assets that appreciated like a house or stocks. That’s still good coin and way above what the median salary is in Camden . It would be an epic failure if he moved back there for financial reasons . That is why I say he chooses to live there. .
Agreed not my first choice. I worked with a guy for many years. He made a killing. Multiples of the money we are talking about here. He lived across the street from the projects he grew up in. It is where he felt comfortable.

Rivals has Clark and Mgbako as having Rutgers offers.

I imagine the focus remains on finishing the '22 class, with two important 'ships to fill.

Provincial recruiting might still exist in Indiana & Kentucky. But nowhere else. History keeps repeating itself in these parts. And forget about legacies as well. Think more along the lines of NIL and what’s in it for me and my family and “support” folks.

I'm like 95% sure on Bradshaw, my buddy coaches at one of the better non publics in NJ and he said the kid was a head case and not the brightest and might have trouble getting into some schools. I remember asking him about a high rated big man and I'm almost certain it was Bradshaw

I'm like 95% sure on Bradshaw, my buddy coaches at one of the better non publics in NJ and he said the kid was a head case and not the brightest and might have trouble getting into some schools. I remember asking him about a high rated big man and I'm almost certain it was Bradshaw
So he's going to the SEC ?

Reactions: shields
We're at least nominally recruiting Mgbako still. Michigan has just offered him too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregkoko

Recruiting is fascinating. In state recruiting is so much more intense with football than basketball. No such thing as fence the garden in basketball

Recruiting is fascinating. In state recruiting is so much more intense with football than basketball. No such thing as fence the garden in basketball
AAU changes the game these kids are used to traveling everywhere and it’s super easy for coaches to see them.

ADVERTISEMENT