ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 RB Chris Johnson decommits from Rutgers Football

Decommitted
I was concerned that he'd decommit. Seemed like he committed a little too fast. And with his improving performances on the track, I'm sure more suitors came calling... Oh well. (And regarding his performances on the track, yesterday he won his group 3A district championships 200m in 20.73s (+3 m/s wind). He's now ranked first in the Florida high school rankings at 200m.) Edit: He did lose in the 100m race at the 3A district meet yesterday though, in case that makes anyone feel a little better.. (wink).

Last edited:
Reactions: eddynyse
Kid will never see the field if he commits to and Georgia takes him. Can’t really see UGA giving a mid level 3 star a committable offer in April, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MGSA99
I actually feel for the coaches. Huge chunk of your job is kissing high school players and their families’ ass early. Then if you are lucky they even keep their word and come to your school you have to basically recruit them to stay thanks to this BS portal and NIL.
Collage football sadly isn’t the sport I grew up loving 25 years ago. It’s basically getting consolidated to some super powers. Sucks. I am a big Mountain West fan. I would rather watch Colorado State - San Diego State over an Alabama game any day of the week. Guess a few of us are left..

I actually feel for the coaches. Huge chunk of your job is kissing high school players and their families’ ass early. Then if you are lucky they even keep their word and come to your school you have to basically recruit them to stay thanks to this BS portal and NIL.
Collage football sadly isn’t the sport I grew up loving 25 years ago. It’s basically getting consolidated to some super powers. Sucks. I am a big Mountain West fan. I would rather watch Colorado State - San Diego State over an Alabama game any day of the week. Guess a few of us are left..

Yeah things are a changin - and not for the better.

I would say the coaches are not total victims here - they love their freedom to leave anytime a better job opens up too.

I hope one of us here contacts the Paul Finebaum Show about Georgia stealing Rutgers recruiting lunch. He would find it amusing.

I hope one of us here contacts the Paul Finebaum Show about Georgia stealing Rutgers recruiting lunch. He would find it amusing.
Not sure if he would take a call from someone in New Jersey. One of the requirements to be on the air is that your Mom and Dad are also your Aunt and Uncle.

Losing a recruit to the defending national champs hurts less. This isn’t a Fran thing. I could recruit kids to Georgia.
Fran put a good word for this kid with the staff and he gets a scholarship.
It will be many years if at all that he sees the field.
Best of luck to him.

LOL. Thanks for the entire month's commitment jackass.
He comes from a generation that sees commitment played out in the media everyday. Your commitment to anything is only as good as the poll numbers tells you it should be. His polls/family told him to move on. Tell me I'm wrong.

He comes from a generation that sees commitment played out in the media everyday. Your commitment to anything is only as good as the poll numbers tells you it should be. His polls/family told him to move on. Tell me I'm wrong.
Coaches been going to better jobs with better pay and prestige for years.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
You're exactly right. But that doesn't mean he isn't pissing on the folks he committed to and the entire concept of "commit".

He can do what he likes. So can I.

Not sure if he would take a call from someone in New Jersey. One of the requirements to be on the air is that your Mom and Dad are also your Aunt and Uncle.
You underestimate the greatness of the Paul Finebaum Show. The Big Ten Network can only wish they had a personality like Finebaum, the interviews that Finebaum has on his show, and 1/2 the audience that the Paul Finebaum Show draws.

You're exactly right. But that doesn't mean he isn't pissing on the folks he committed to and the entire concept of "commit".

He can do what he likes. So can I.
I 100% agree. Sadly, commitment doesn't carry the weight it did in my generation. You have the kids that will shake your hand and say, "yes, I'll take good care of your daughter and have her home by midnight", and then get her home 3:00am having put her through more positions than a circus act😁, and then you have a Rutgers man, that keeps his word. Best of luck and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Next!

Reactions: RUScrew85
Well.. the offer from Georgia, who clearly honored his commitment to another school and chose to not respect his decision (if he asked for that on the commit).. well, at least that validates R eye for talent.

I wonder if NIL promises were a part of this... but, really, maybe the kid is an SEC fan and maybe even Georgia fan. When the national champion offers you.. that has to feel pretty good... but, really.. he should think carefully from this point. His family and friends might be so excited to have him more local in the SEC... but he has to consider all the recruits they can get and whether he will see the field anytime soon to give his friends and family a reason to go see him play.

You underestimate the greatness of the Paul Finebaum Show. The Big Ten Network can only wish they had a personality like Finebaum, the interviews that Finebaum has on his show, and 1/2 the audience that the Paul Finebaum Show draws.
Paul Finebaum mus be an acquired taste. He looks like the Great Gazoo from the Flintstones and is boring and repetitive. But I'm not a sports talk radio/TV kind of person, and I don't care much for the SEC.

Love a thread with all the “get off my lawn” or “my generation is better” guys. I mean I used to walk to school everyday starting in kindergarten. Did I mention it was uphill both ways?😀

• Haha
I 100% agree. Sadly, commitment doesn't carry the weight it did in my generation. You have the kids that will shake your hand and say, "yes, I'll take good care of your daughter and have her home by midnight", and then get her home 3:00am having put her through more positions than a circus act😁, and then you have a Rutgers man, that keeps his word. Best of luck and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Next!
I get your point but I would have just made sure the circus act started early.

• Haha
Why does Rutgers or any Power 5 program not one of the " blue bloods" accept an early commitment from a Florida athlete? Granted , it's based on intuition and not data, but it seems many Florida players decommit , especially if it's with a cold weather program and early in the recruitment process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT