ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 RB Chris Johnson Jr commits to Rutgers Football (Decommit)

CJ2K's son?
FNIclEKXIAQ3ZSh

Welcome Chris Jr!!! Limited info but looks like his father (?) played receiver at Oregon State. Chris Jr. is a speedster. Won the 200 m last year and the 100m and 200m this year in the Broward County, Region4 championships. Whatever that equates to here in NJ. Can't teach fast!!

Anyone know which coach or coaches are leading our recruiting efforts in Florida these days? Liscari?

One thing that jumps off the tape is speed, even more impressive are the cuts at full speed, don't want to go overboard on a highlight tape but reminds me of Janorian Grant. Nobody is catching Chris Johnson from behind

Reactions: Knight Shift
I remember a young kid who was at the time 5’7- 5’8” 185 lbs.and a 3 * rated at 5.5.He went onto become the greatest RB in Rutgers history. Sorry to perhaps upset some people but the reality is those stars are great but actual work ethic and genetic background ( dad ) is what it is all about. A 3* RB out of Dillard is a great get . Top competition and equal to perhaps a NJ 4* RB.

High level speed. Needs to get pad level down, get stronger, and run with his feet up more. But can not teach his acceleration and top end speed.

Reactions: Kbee3
On the Florida High School 100m rankings list for 2022, his 2022 100m time of 10.71 currently ranks him tied for 24th in the state of Florida, a state known for its sprinters, although it's early in the season.. But about half of the athletes that are ranked ahead of him had significantly wind aided times that, when adjusted for wind, would put their performance behind Chris Johnson's. His 200m time puts him 7th on the current 2022 Florida list. Both of his times would probably put him among the top several sprinters in NJ, and his times so far are in the vicinity of those of RU commit Fitzroy Ledgister.. (although not on the level of NJ's undisputed current top scholastic male sprinter, University of Georgia bound Shamali Whittle from Hamilton North Nottingham)

As the outdoor track and field season progresses over the next few months, I'd expect that both of the RU commits' times will improve and it'll be interesting to see how they progress on the track.

Last edited:
On the Florida High School 100m rankings list for 2022, his 2022 100m time of 10.71 currently ranks him tied for 24th in the state of Florida, a state known for its sprinters, although it's early in the season.. But about half of the athletes that are ranked ahead of him had significantly wind aided times that, when adjusted for wind, would put their performance behind Chris Johnson's. His 200m time puts him 7th on the current 2022 Florida list. Both of his times would probably put him among the top several sprinters in NJ, and his times so far are in the vicinity of those of RU commit Fitzroy Ledgister.. (although not on the level of NJ's undisputed current top scholastic male sprinter, University of Georgia bound Shamali Whittle from Hamilton North Nottingham)

As the outdoor track and field season progresses over the next few months, I'd expect that both of the RU commits' times will improve and it'll be interesting to see how they progress on the track.
Thanks. What sets Chris apart from the other TOP SPRINTERS is that he is a FB PLAYER.

For comparison, I think Bo Melton's 100m personal best in high school was 10.70, although I can't find any information on whether it was wind aided or not... Bo was the State Group 2 champion at 100m his senior year, but he wasn't the fastest football player in the state. The two time NJ State Meet of Champions 100m champion, with a personal best of 10.49 that year, was Jonathan Taylor.

After seeing another thread on an athlete's 100m time today, I thought I'd post a brief update on Chris Johnson's current track and field season in Florida:

Although he hasn't run a 100m time that's faster than his earlier 10.71 yet, he's still been impressive. Two weeks ago Chris won the Broward County Track and FIeld Championships 100 meters in 10.78, into a 2.5 m/s headwind. That's impressive, because it converts to about a 10.61 100m with no wind... He also won the 200m in 21.49 into a slight headwind, and was a major factor in Dillard's 4x100m relay win... 31 high schools from Broward county competed in the meet.

On Friday, 4/1, at the Boca Bobcats Classic Invitational, Chris apparently didn't compete in any individual events, but he anchored the Dillard team to a first place finish in the 4x400.

This is a video of him winning the 100m in 10.91 into a 0.8 m/s headwind at the Bowden Relays/Cobra Legacy Meet back in February. He's in the middle of the track in lane 4, next to open lane 3. Light gray&blue uniform.

Bowden/Cobra 100m final

On Wednesday Chris improved his 100m season best from 10.71 to 10.63 (wind legal) in winning the Fort Lauderdale City Track and Field Championships 100m race. He also won the 200m. His winning 200m time of 21.31 was just off his season best of 21.27.

His 10.63 moved him up to 16th in the Florida state high school 100m rankings, and he's currently ranked 9th at 200m. (For reference, the fastest 100m runner in NJ in 2021 was Shamali Whittle, running 10.48. 10.48 would place him 7th on this year's current Florida list. And the second fastest NJ 100m runner in 2021, at 10.60, was RU commit Fitzroy Ledgister. His 10.60 would rank him 13th on the current Florida list.) Florida is known for having fast sprinters, but the outdoor track and field season in Florida also gets a head start on much of the rest of the country due to the warmer climate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT