ADVERTISEMENT

22-23 schedule

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
First,Rutgers did try very hard to play Gonzaga on the road and Houston neutral site. Neither happened.And Michigan State is at MSG which is huge. What is missing is the WOW game which the Selection Committee discusses. And they do. That is factual. Either Gonzaga or Houston to a lesser extent would have been that game. Michigan State is playing Gonzaga,Kentucky,Nova,ND and either UNC or UConn. That is way too tough. Iowa has a Rutgers like schedule,but included is Duke at MSG. That changes the schedule. The Rutgers schedule should not hinder a 8, 9 or 10 seed going 9-2 OOC and 11-9 and 1-1 in conference, which is my prediction.

1. 2021-22 ACC shouldn’t be compared to 2021-22 B1G
2. Tougher schedule equals greater chances of losing
3. Tougher schedule often times hurts the development of a bench
4. Tougher schedule makes it tougher for the coaching staff to figure out rotations
5. We play 4 power schools in calendar year 2022

tougher schedule helps resume when you win the games it hurts the resume if you lose the games. At the end of the day we will have a top 40 overall schedule.

Reactions: BillyC80
Why do you consider MSU at MSG hugh?
It’s a pretty big relative difference in SOS. The computer rankings will treat that as a neutral game. So we’re technically playing one less conference home game and an extra neutral game this year. When we played Michigan there, it was actually the opposite. Hurt our SOS bec we gave up a road game.

4. Tougher schedule makes it tougher for the coaching staff to figure out rotations

tougher schedule helps resume when you win the games it hurts the resume if you lose the games. At the end of the day we will have a top 40 overall schedule.
Until the season the BIG has a down year like the ACC did….

But look - in my opinion, the biggest problem Wake had wasn’t the weak blended SOS but not having enough wins over teams in the field. So I’m quite happy with the schedule this year. 4 possible contenders, and Rider could turn out to be like SFA. We’re giving ourselves enough opportunities to build a resume in case we don’t beat the top BIG teams. That’s all you can ask. I’m also happy not to have land mines on the schedule like DePaul and UMass. I never want to see road games like those again.

Well yes but it wasn't handed down on stone tablets that the Big Ten will always be that strong.

No, but the ACC had a really down year, which is why Wake's schedule didn't pan out for them. They only had 3 conference games against Top 20 teams, and two were losses to #10 Duke. There were 7 conference games against teams lower than 100: 193 Pitt, 157 GTech, 141 BC, 139 NC State, 130 Louisville, and 104 Florida St. The B1G only had 145 Nebraska.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
First,Rutgers did try very hard to play Gonzaga on the road and Houston neutral site. Neither happened.And Michigan State is at MSG which is huge. What is missing is the WOW game which the Selection Committee discusses. And they do. That is factual. Either Gonzaga or Houston to a lesser extent would have been that game. Michigan State is playing Gonzaga,Kentucky,Nova,ND and either UNC or UConn. That is way too tough. Iowa has a Rutgers like schedule,but included is Duke at MSG. That changes the schedule. The Rutgers schedule should not hinder a 8, 9 or 10 seed going 9-2 OOC and 11-9 and 1-1 in conference, which is my prediction.

How is giving up the advantage of playing at home and instead playing a conference game on a neutral floor "huge"

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

One issue I see for this year is that the 22-23 Big 10 may be like the 21-22 ACC. Big 10 is down this year. Hopefully there will be enough quality wins to be had.

How is playing MSU at MSG not a huge game?

Not wanting to give up a home game is a separate topic
Based on the context that the comment was made in, I think he was trying to say that’s a huge factor to consider when thinking about overall strength of schedule.

Agree so much, but I don't think our coach does.

It doesn’t seem that way, but a good showing against Temple could go a long way. Pike needs to see what a real neutral pre-season game against an non power conf team looks like. By “real” I mean not a game in Toronto against a NY team located up by the Canadian border.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It’s a 45 min train ride to the greatest arena in the world. The more the kids get that kind of neutral big game arena experience, the less nervous they will be playing in it again. I’m fine with it for 1 game. Although I prefer the game to be at the RAC, it’s better than playing in Newark.

It’s a 45 min train ride to the greatest arena in the world. The more the kids get that kind of neutral big game arena experience, the less nervous they will be playing in it again. I’m fine with it for 1 game. Although I prefer the game to be at the RAC, it’s better than playing in Newark.
There’s nothing to complain about. It rotates who loses a home game. It’s our turn. When we played Michigan that didn’t count as a home game for us.

One issue I see for this year is that the 22-23 Big 10 may be like the 21-22 ACC. Big 10 is down this year.
Feels like people on this board say this ~every year. The last time the Big Ten was as weak as last year’s ACC was 2015-16. So obviously it could happen but I wouldn’t count on it.

Feels like people on this board say this ~every year. The last time the Big Ten was as weak as last year’s ACC was 2015-16. So obviously it could happen but I wouldn’t count on it.
And if it did happen, we need to take advantage of that and the out of conference schedule. You never know how the offseason moves will pan out, but based on some of what I see around the league, I don't think it will drop off a cliff strength-wise. We will see. I agree with you.

Reactions: fluoxetine
How is playing MSU at MSG not a huge game?

Not wanting to give up a home game is a separate topic
Not sure I understand why MSU at MSG is huge either. And it's relative hugeness seems intimately tied to us having our typical homecourt advantage we get at the RAC, no?

Not trying to be argumentative. I just don't really understand why playing anybody at MSG is huge, unless maybe it's playing someone whom we would normally be playing somewhere other than the RAC.

Not sure I understand why MSU at MSG is huge either. And it's relative hugeness seems intimately tied to us having our typical homecourt advantage we get at the RAC, no?

Not trying to be argumentative. I just don't really understand why playing anybody at MSG is huge, unless maybe it's playing someone whom we would normally be playing somewhere other than the RAC.
How many basketball games have you been to at MSG? How many RU games? More than likely the answer is not many, otherwise you would already know the answer to your question.

How many basketball games have you been to at MSG? How many RU games? More than likely the answer is not many, otherwise you would already know the answer to your question.
I've been to pro and NCAA games at MSG in the past (along with concerts and hockey matches). It's easy to get to and a nice venue. Been to a bunch of RU games at the RAC, but not at MSG.

But I still don't know it would be huge to play MSU or any other team there. To me, if it was our home game being played there, it'd be a negative, not a positive.

For me, the allure of colleges sports is the atmosphere and I find it hard to believe that the RUMBB atmosphere at MSG will be better than at the RAC, which might be small and cramped, but is loud and energy-filled.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I like playing a game at MSG mainly if it’s an intersectional non-conference game against a good opponent. Don’t like giving away the RAC advantage for a game but I know everyone in the league needs to do it at some point. I know our fans will show up and be loud.

Couple things:
1- We played at Michigan at msg before Covid. Covid year we were set to host msu there. 1 home and 1 away in NYC is fantastic agreement.
2- Msg = the Mecca! RU games at msg typically great atmosphere at our guys get to play there!
3- The events under point 1 were part of “big ten super Saturday”. Doubleheader (sort of) with wrestling that day too. Great exposure.

This been discussed before on the board and some disagree, decrying “losing” a home game, but clearly coach Pike, the players, and Hobbs etc agree that the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: patk89
I've been to pro and NCAA games at MSG in the past (along with concerts and hockey matches). It's easy to get to and a nice venue. Been to a bunch of RU games at the RAC, but not at MSG.

But I still don't know it would be huge to play MSU or any other team there. To me, if it was our home game being played there, it'd be a negative, not a positive.

For me, the allure of colleges sports is the atmosphere and I find it hard to believe that the RUMBB atmosphere at MSG will be better than at the RAC, which might be small and cramped, but is loud and energy-filled.
Just don't leave the arena ; run to your train----those homeless are trouble

Just don't leave the arena ; run to your train----those homeless are trouble
I dress like a homeless person and avoid showering too much. So people, including the homeless, leave me alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT