ADVERTISEMENT

3 Point line might be moved back

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
iI would like to see it moved to NBA distance and even though I have little interest in the NBA I would like to see them move it to the ABA distance. I have become bored watching basketball turn into only dunks and 3 point attempts,especially by so many guys who think they are 3 point shooters but aren’t.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Moving it back doesn’t change it from being only dunks and three pointers

All this will do is mean more missed threes. There are over 300 d1 schools, and only a fraction of them have kids that will sniff playing pro ball. Why does it have to mirror the pros?

Reactions: bethlehemfan
At our present comparative rate of shooting this will benefit us.

Keep it where it is. Reduce the diameter of the rim two inches. In two years kids will adjust to the added distance, this not so much.

Last edited:
Moving it back doesn’t change it from being only dunks and three pointers

All this will do is mean more missed threes. There are over 300 d1 schools, and only a fraction of them have kids that will sniff playing pro ball. Why does it have to mirror the pros?

I dislike the game today. CBB may be slightly different.

Move them up too. Basket height hasn't changed since created when average male height was 5' 6". Watching 6'10" guys dunk is not spectacular
YAAAS!

The average height for an adult male in the U.S. is currently 5-foot-9 so make the basket height 10-foot-3.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Gee, people used to complain that nobody could shoot because everybody wanted to dunk. Now people are complaining because everybody can shoot? The NBA's league average 3 point shooting percentage was 35.5% this season, which is pretty good. It would tend to indicate that most of the people taking 3s are actually real 3 point shooters that are capable of making them. Bad shooters taking 3s is a bigger problem at the college level. The biggest difference is that NBA players are a lot more skilled and the offenses are a lot more sophisticated. If RU shot 35.5% from 3 point range as a team, we'd have been watching them in the tournament.

Bad shooters taking 3s is a bigger problem at the college level.

I agree, but as long as CBB is the feeder league for the NBA, you're going to see that. Remember Kadeem Jack trying to improve his 3 point game to make himself more draft-worthy?

Move them up too. Basket height hasn't changed since created when average male height was 5' 6". Watching 6'10" guys dunk is not spectacular

Highest Dunk - been waiting forever for this to be added to All-Star Weekend.

Not sure how difficult it is to raise the hoop but it would be amazing to watch.

Giannis and Zion attempting a 13ft dunks?
Sign me up.

Reactions: Local Shill
If you play the game as intended you eliminate the 3 point shot. 3 pointer is a gimmick to get people more interested.

Can you imagine awarding more points for a longer FG in football or a longer TD play.

Awarding golfers for longer putts?

The goal for basketball is to get the closest shot. Awarding 3 points for long shots goes against what the game is supposed to be about.

I like your sense of humor and honesty.

I agree with him for the old Rutgers. A move back would decrease the need to rely on the 3.

I believe Rutgers going forward will be a better than average 3 point shooting team as the player we recruit changes.

As I understand it, they are contemplating moving the college 3 point line to the International line not the NBA line

I agree with him for the old Rutgers. A move back would decrease the need to rely on the 3.

I believe Rutgers going forward will be a better than average 3 point shooting team as the player we recruit changes.

The 3 points shot is there to prevent teams from packing in a zone and preventing any inside shots. Basketball would be awful to watch if teams could play that way. The 3 point shot is the counter to teams packing in a zone and running out a shot clock.

Reactions: RU_Planning
The 3 points shot is there to prevent teams from packing in a zone and preventing any inside shots. Basketball would be awful to watch if teams could play that way. The 3 point shot is the counter to teams packing in a zone and running out a shot clock.

You can knock down 18 foot shots if that is the case.

Extend shot clock to 45 seconds and eliminate the 3 point line would be what I want to see. I totally understand the 3 point shot is here to stay. 99% like it. I am the 1% and it has ruined my enjoyment of the game.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Extend shot clock to 45 seconds and eliminate the 3 point line would be what I want to see. I totally understand the 3 point shot is here to stay. 99% like it. I am the 1% and it has ruined my enjoyment of the game.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. People talk about the 2 point shot coming in college, or even high school, lacrosse. I would be so against that.

If you play the game as intended you eliminate the 3 point shot. 3 pointer is a gimmick to get people more interested.

Can you imagine awarding more points for a longer FG in football or a longer TD play.

The goal for basketball is to get the closest shot. Awarding 3 points for long shots goes against what the game is supposed to be about.
Nonsense.

You want basketball to look like a half court game between a bunch of 47 year olds.

Reactions: RUChoppin
You want basketball to look like a half court game between a bunch of 47 year olds.

No. I'd like it to look like basketball was 20 years ago. Again this a personal view. I get why people like the 3 pointer, but i don't.

Not my cup of tee to see guys take and make ridiculously long shots. Guys are very skilled at what they do. Just not a skill I like.

Personally I was sports junkie as a kid. I still am. The only sport that has dropped off my radar is the NBA. I love baseball, I like football, I love college basketball (but that is fading), and now I watch NHL (didn't as a kid).

I went from watching every Sunday afternoon game on CBS, the NY Knicks, and all playoff games to not watching anything and having no idea who is on what teams.

Again just my personal preference. I believe the 3 point shot has ruined it. The shot chart Ohio posted shows you all you need to know. when the 3 point shot was introduced it didn't alter the game all that much because there was a finite amount of players that would take them. As a new generation of basketball players have evolved the 3 point shot is made at a much higher rate and 3 point shooting is necessary to win.

I like the 3 point moved to the NBA distance and I also like the idea of a super long FG (60yds+) in football be maybe 4pts.

But not for golf or a long TD.

I also like the idea of a super long FG (60yds+) in football be maybe 4pts.

thats the equivalent. Imagine a team up by 4 playing D on the 45 yard line area with 20 seconds to go.

Not much different to the way we see the 3 point line defended.

Again personal preference. You aren't wrong for liking it, just a little weird.

thats the equivalent. Imagine a team up by 4 playing D on the 45 yard line area with 20 seconds to go.

Not much different to the way we see the 3 point line defended.

Again personal preference. You aren't wrong for liking it, just a little weird.
giphy.gif

This could be great for Rutgers!
We need to lean into it and get ahead of the curve.
Moving the line back will create a greater disparity between the teams who utilize the 3pt shot and those who don’t.
What side of that line do we want to be on?

If the line moves back, the early adopters will have a strategic advantage over other teams less willing to change.

Eventually, the power teams will realize this and adapt as well (Duke will eventually start recruiting the top 3pt shooters)
But until then, Rutgers has a chance to “game the system” and get ahead.

No. I'd like it to look like basketball was 20 years ago. Again this a personal view. I get why people like the 3 pointer, but i don't.

Not my cup of tee to see guys take and make ridiculously long shots. Guys are very skilled at what they do. Just not a skill I like.

Personally I was sports junkie as a kid. I still am. The only sport that has dropped off my radar is the NBA. I love baseball, I like football, I love college basketball (but that is fading), and now I watch NHL (didn't as a kid).

I went from watching every Sunday afternoon game on CBS, the NY Knicks, and all playoff games to not watching anything and having no idea who is on what teams.

Again just my personal preference. I believe the 3 point shot has ruined it. The shot chart Ohio posted shows you all you need to know. when the 3 point shot was introduced it didn't alter the game all that much because there was a finite amount of players that would take them. As a new generation of basketball players have evolved the 3 point shot is made at a much higher rate and 3 point shooting is necessary to win.
But the game always evolves. If you've been watching the playoffs, you see the teams with the best mid-range game have done very well this post season. Durant, CJ McCollum, and Kawhi Leonard, are all excellent at the mid-range jump shot. These players are taking what the defense is giving (the least efficient shot), but can make it at a rate that doesn't make it a bad shot. Without the 3 point shooters stretching out the defense, these mid-range shots are much easier to defend.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
KD should get 4 points for the Jeff Malone shot.....Rip Hamilton for the slightly younger folk.

13-17 footers let’s give them 4. Layups and dunks 1. Imagine the excitement on a breakaway dunk if a player has to do a jump stop at full speed and make a 6 footer.

Reactions: NickRU714
The 3 point shot was implemented for the excitement of the 3 point shot. Not a byproduct of teams packing in a zone.

KD should get 4 points for the Jeff Malone shot.....Rip Hamilton for the slightly younger folk.

13-17 footers let’s give them 4. Layups and dunks 1. Imagine the excitement on a breakaway dunk if a player has to do a jump stop at full speed and make a 6 footer.

This is the kind of stuff they should do with the All-Star game.
Or maybe the Rising Stars game.
Mix it up and make it fun.

Even try your idea of no 3pt line - just to make players think differently.

Anybody rememeber the MTV Rock n Jock games?

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
With today’s athletes basketball without a 3 point shot and with a 45 second shot clock would be utterly miserable to watch.

Reactions: kcg88

I hardly ever agree with GRFIG but I do here. Eliminate the 3 pt shot.
One other thing I would like see is changing the rule so that a ball has to be completely through the rim for the points to count as the clock runs out.
Very easy to put a camera at the rim to begin recording at the 1 second mark to record the 'photo finish'.

With today’s athletes basketball without a 3 point shot and with a 45 second shot clock would be utterly miserable to watch.

That is where our tastes differ. Isolation basketball, stupid long range shots, and high pick and rolls are boring to me.

I do think common ground would be watching more emphasis on transition offense and finishing at the rim.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
That is where our tastes differ. Isolation basketball, stupid long range shots, and high pick and rolls are boring to me.

I do think common ground would be watching more emphasis on transition offense and finishing at the rim.

More transition offense? 15 second shot clock! (For NBA. Make college 24 or 20 seconds).
Get these guys running suicides in training camp.

Instead of 45 seconds of passing around the perimeter or watching a guy dribble the ball into the ground, force the pace.

Efficient teams will prevail and rise above the rest.

Rewards the defense if they disrupt the initial play call
Emphasizes offensive rebounds if you need to run a 2nd play in a possession.

Last edited:

It will look like CYO basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT