ADVERTISEMENT

3 point shooting - Rank Rutgers top 5

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
With so many new players and Rutgers 3 point shooting woes, curious to hear the boards opinions ranking who are the top 5 best three point shooters on the team next season

I have a tough time with it but think it would be something like...

Harper Thiam Baker McConnell Kiss

Reactions: dkostus
Sounds about right... hard to tell how McConnell and Harper will translate to D1 so I might put Thiam ahead.

Last year's experience will likely make Baker the best three point shooter over any of the freshmen.

Reactions: Scangg
Initially I had it Baker Thiam Harper. I think those will be the top 3. Three point shooting has a lot to do with confidence and Harper seems to have swag. I think Harper will shoot it better than a typical freshman but could easily see Baker lighting it up too. I wonder if running the offense vs playing off the ball will impact his scoring and shooting. Thiam just needs to shoot without hesitation and find his groove to get his confidence going and be more assertive

Since we haven't seen Harper or McConnell take a single shot in a college game yet, they are question marks. I'd go Baker, Thiam, Kiss... with hopes that McConnell and Harper will find success at the next level.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Since we haven't seen Harper or McConnell take a single shot in a college game yet, they are question marks. I'd go Baker, Thiam, Kiss... with hopes that McConnell and Harper will find success at the next level.
Ahhh the "he hasn't played in college yet" posts. These are a pet peeve of mine and among the most pointless posts on the boards.

Notice a lot of Harpers makes are with a hand in his face?

There is a lot to like with him as a player. I think his shot translates well enough.

So Eugene is a better three point shooter than Harper since he's played in college and Harper hasn't? It's just thoughtless. You can still make projections and predictions.

And Gio is better than Art too right? It's just an anti-intellectual thought process

So Eugene is a better three point shooter than Harper since he's played in college and Harper hasn't? It's just thoughtless. You can still make projections and predictions.

And Gio is better than Art too right? It's just an anti-intellectual thought process

More nonsense.

You're projecting Harper *ahead* of the two best three point shooters on the team last year, based on what? A recent good game and some highlight tapes?

I said the top 3 will all be close. Harper could easily be 3. You're the one not including any freshman just bc they haven't played yet. That's ridiculous

Look what Geo did last year as a freshman. Going by your logic last year you would have ranked Souf Sanders Williams all above him. See how that logic is so flawed?

I recall that Mike Williams was billed as the best shooter in NYC. Love what Mike gave us over the years but his shooting in college did not match his pre-college billing.

With that I hope all our recruits do great.

I recall that Mike Williams was billed as the best shooter in NYC. Love what Mike gave us over the years but his shooting in college did not match his pre-college billing.

Mad, great point. One thing to specify is that Williams in HS was a great set shooter when he had space. Rarely he shot off the dribble.

That is the great difference maker. Thiam also is only a set shooter. Put simply, the houses have a lot smaller ceilings.

I can't predict the order. I just want four guys over 35%, one of those being above 40%, and nobody (with more than 10 attempts) below 27%.

Based on what I've seen and heard (stats included), I think Thiam, Baker, and Harper can be three of the four. I'm less sure about McConnell and Kiss, but the hope is that at least one is able to get up there.

If we add Casimir, bump it up to five guys over 35%.

I always thought his three point shooting would come around but sadly it never did. Offensively he was a disappointment but on the bright side replacing Williams Sanders and Souf has to lead to a better three point shooting team this season.

McConnell shoots from pretty far out in his highlights. Kind of a weird form, but he gets it off so quick I don't think it matters

I said the top 3 will all be close. Harper could easily be 3. You're the one not including any freshman just bc they haven't played yet. That's ridiculous

Look what Geo did last year as a freshman. Going by your logic last year you would have ranked Souf Sanders Williams all above him. See how that logic is so flawed?

Not biting on your strawman.

Last year we had two legit three point threats in Baker (53-147, .361) and Thiam (44-121, .364), and that was it. No one else who attempted more than 5 shots were better than 25% from the arc. Those are your top two shooters until shown otherwise - anyone else falls in line behind them.

Kiss was a streaky shooter at Q, and finished with a .277 (36-130) rate as a freshman. As staggering as it is, that would have been our 3rd best option last year. Really hoping a redshirt year has helped him work on his shot and improve consistency, and that we see something over .300

Harper appears to have made 28 threes in 19 games his senior season (1.5 per game) - which is great to see. We know he shoots threes and makes threes... but we don't know how many attempts are needed to get those 1.5 per game. Is he averaging 4 attempts (.375) or 5 attempts (.300)? If the former, then he'd be up there with Baker and Thiam... but that's just wishcasting, because he also has to do it against D1 defenses. Hitting 8 in a game at the iS8/Nike Classic was awesome, and shows that he is a real threat when he's on - but we don't know anything about his consistency.

McConnell's an even bigger mystery. Why not throw Mathis in, too.

So, yeah... Baker, Thiam, Kiss... and then TBD.

Definitely hoping the incoming freshmen's productivity is closer to Baker's than to Doucoure's, though - but it's a roll of the dice.

Reactions: RU-ROCS and satnom
Isn’t Mathis supposed to be a really good shooter? Are we having some recruit recency bias here?

Isn’t Mathis supposed to be a really good shooter? Are we having some recruit recency bias here?

From what I've read, he's primarily a penetrating guard who attacks the rim and gets to the line, and expectation set by Pikiell is that he'll be a good defender. But also haven't seen anything saying he's a bad three point shooter, either.

Who is going to win the President's race at nationals Park?

The only thing we know it isn't going to be Teddy. Crap shoot between Tom, George or Abe.

Harpers 3 point game should translate very. He seems to have a quick/high release and not afraid to shoot with a hand in his face. If the rest of his game is adequate as a freshman, he should get plenty of shooting opportunities.

Harpers 3 point game should translate very. He seems to have a quick/high release and not afraid to shoot with a hand in his face. If the rest of his game is adequate as a freshman, he should get plenty of shooting opportunities.
6'6" with a high quick release AND he elevates on the jumper a little, even from 3. I don't think he's worried about a hand in his face at all.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Obviously anecdotal, but McConnell hits two ridiculously long range 3s in this game video (and shows off some sick passing skills)

IMO he has the best natural point guard skills on the team, lets see how it translates to the college level. He is not a speed point guard but he appears to see the court well and have high bball IQ

Reactions: Scangg and dkostus
Rarely do these clips show much, but I think a kid like Mc is the exception: he know how to play the game.

Rarely do these clips show much, but I think a kid like Mc is the exception: he know how to play the game.
Yeah, even the two skip passes, especially the one for the corner 3 the kid misses, show how much he sees the court and gets spacing, etc.

Where did he play again. His teammates look like how can I say this nicely? Sanitation. It's like Lebron and the guys he plays with.
Spires Academy in Ohio... I think he had one good teammate. For some strange reason, he also comes up as a Florida kid, so he may have been there when he was younger? It's all confusing, but he looks like he could be great.

Sounds about right... hard to tell how McConnell and Harper will translate to D1 so I might put Thiam ahead.

Agreed. It is impossible to rank a high school kid's shooting until he steps into a Big 10 game. Remember, Mike Williams (whose overall game I loved) was NYC's leading 3-point shooter coming out of high school. But, that skill never translated to the P-5 college level, as Mike was never better than a decent 3-point shooter for RU.

Baker
Harper
Kiss
Macconnell
Thiam

The shooting needs to be based ability to get shots off

Again, I’m rooting to be wrong, but until Thiam is a lot “less selective” and finds ways to get more shots off than the “perfect shot”, I see his shooing percentage being skewed.

Agreed. It is impossible to rank a high school kid's shooting until he steps into a Big 10 game. Remember, Mike Williams (whose overall game I loved) was NYC's leading 3-point shooter coming out of high school. But, that skill never translated to the P-5 college level, as Mike was never better than a decent 3-point shooter for RU.

The hardest part is projecting how the speed of the game (specifically the close out time by bigger and faster defenders) impacts ability to get the shot off from beyond the arc

Reactions: RU-ROCS
The analytics of basketball is where you can look at shooting percentages and not see results....to recap why you don't want to use that as a guide, Baker probably had a more impressive 3 point percentage because i don't recall a lot of them wide open in transition and i can count about 6 to 8 of the makes under 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Thiam's 3s were mostly unforced or were shots that needed to line up where he was in transition or there was a breakdown defensively.

And all of these 3s are with in most cases, the threat of having a Sanders on the court.

I see McConnell Harper and Baker as your primary tough 3 point makers where they will be under 10 seconds on the shot clock....I see Kiss Thiam and Mathis all shooting over 30% from 3 because we will have more transition opportunities.

Landing a potential Casimir type of jitterbug scoring guard and McConnell for minutes to take Baker off the ball for 18 minutes a game, should help....he should be 30% if he picks RU and vice versa.

I don't think it's a need of percentages being a certain amount as much as willingness to take the 3s....i would guess our 3 point attempts could double from last year to this year...which should get RU over 70PPG...

Last edited:
If I am recalling correctly, I think Pikiell said that his goal was about 25 three point attempts per game. If we can make 8 or 9 per game that would be a great improvement....maybe 10 or more on some hot shooting nights. Need to get those makes from Baker, Thiam, Harper, Kiss and McConnell and whoever fills that last spot.

Baker-2
Thiam-2
Harper-2
Kiss-2
McConnell-1

Get that and I'm happy.

Geo Issa Kiss Harper and Caleb.

If we are talking pure shooter that gets a wide open look I'd go with Issa but to me being the best also means creating a shot and hitting it from all spots beyond the arc so I gotta go Geo as our top shooter. Issa is 2nd and by default kiss falls 3rd for having played at the college level. We saw adjustment periods for freshman to the game speed and long season so that's why Harper and Caleb come next.

If I am recalling correctly, I think Pikiell said that his goal was about 25 three point attempts per game. If we can make 8 or 9 per game that would be a great improvement....maybe 10 or more on some hot shooting nights. Need to get those makes from Baker, Thiam, Harper, Kiss and McConnell and whoever fills that last spot.

Baker-2
Thiam-2
Harper-2
Kiss-2
McConnell-1

Get that and I'm happy.

Wow. That'd be a big step up from the 14.7 per game we had this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT