ADVERTISEMENT

3-star TE Tyler Devera decommits

Todderick seems to have some conflicting information in his article from this morning answering tweets he states.

The Rutgers coaching staff reached out to Tyler before dismissing Brendan -- to let Tyler know he was still wanted.

And in this article he quotes the kid

Devera talks decommitment
"Definitely what happened with my brother and everything. He was a big factor into why I wanted to go there. None of the coaches have contacted me since he's been removed from the team to even say we still want you or anything like that. They just kind of led me away and made me feel like I wasn't wanted there."

so what is the real story??? did the staff reach out to the kid and say they want him or not?

Todderick seems to have some conflicting information in his article from this morning answering tweets he states.

The Rutgers coaching staff reached out to Tyler before dismissing Brendan -- to let Tyler know he was still wanted.

"Definitely what happened with my brother and everything. He was a big factor into why I wanted to go there. None of the coaches have contacted me since he's been removed from the team to even say we still want you or anything like that. They just kind of led me away and made me feel like I wasn't wanted there."

so what is the real story??? did the staff reach out to the kid and say they want him or not?
Let it go. People tell the press whatever they want. It’s not like ash is going to go on record about it. Once this broke he was not coming to RU

Give him “credit”, he didnt “charge” right out and decommit. It was pretty much in the “cards” once things unfolded. With our “APR” rising he had to “balance” sticking with an “obligation” to “sign” on the line.
I think none of us felt we would “collect” that in the end, so everyone cutting “their losses” in “advance” is best.

Hopefully he will receive more “offers” in the mail, and maybe even play some day for the Louisville, or Stanford.....Cards

We will need to check on his recruiting in few days, I am sure he will bounce back.

Last edited:
He will be lucky to get another D1 offer unless Boston College bails him out like they did Korab Idrizi (who is just a guy at BC and not a factor). I am totally okay with this, you could see it coming a mile away. Let the kid say whatever he wants, it was clear he wasn't coming the moment his brother got caught being such an idiot.

Reactions: RUchip
B10 media day with Ash this Monday or Tuesday,he will get asked alot about the credit card 8 and probably this decommit.

I think we can blame somebody here.
Bruce Springsteen said it best about a brother going the wrong way in Highway Patrolman:

I got a brother named Franky, and Franky ain't no good
. . .
But when it's your brother sometimes you look the other way
. . .
Man turns his back on his family, well he just ain't no good
-----------

Best of luck to the kid. Next man up.

B10 media day with Ash this Monday or Tuesday,he will get asked alot about the credit card 8 and probably this decommit.

I dont really think a media day focus will be on a decommit. Media day is focussed on the season.

Reactions: koleszar
He will be lucky to get another D1 offer unless Boston College bails him out like they did Korab Idrizi (who is just a guy at BC and not a factor). I am totally okay with this, you could see it coming a mile away. Let the kid say whatever he wants, it was clear he wasn't coming the moment his brother got caught being such an idiot.

Not a fan of KI, but he started 6 games as a freshman....i wouldnt call that just a guy.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
It's not going to be the issue at media like you think. Each fanbase lives in a bubble. Also, Rutgers hasn't released any information other than 2 players dismissed from the team and no reason is given. It's hard to make an issue of something without enough info to create a basis for a story. The sh*t may hit the fan later, but not right now.

Because his brother was dismissed from the program he might have felt uncomfortable if he came with that issue in the back of everyone's mind.
So opping for a fresh start.
Wish him the best, but not if/when he plays

Not a fan of KI, but he started 6 games as a freshman....i wouldnt call that just a guy.

He is a junior and a backup TE at Boston College. We've had quite a laundry list of players play/start here as freshman who were total duds by the time their career ended. He is a dud IMO.

Reactions: 17Q66

The way they are written, they do not conflict Quote 1 states before the dismissal quote 2 statesafter the dismissal, and could be true ... which may explain why he didn't decommit right away, and the lack of followup made his mind up for him

Reactions: RUDead
When decommitts and attrition keep happening over and over with Ash it's a problem
When a staff stops contacting a recruit, especially after that recruits brother was thrown off the team, it means that the staff no longer wants that recruit, since his scholarship offer is no longer committable.

All things considered, how would anyone want to go to a school that threw his brother out? Can you imagine how difficult it would have been for him here?
Hopefully, he learns something important here. His brother threw away his career, character and a free education. For what?????

All things considered, how would anyone want to go to a school that threw his brother out? Can you imagine how difficult it would have been for him here?
Hopefully, he learns something important here. His brother threw away his career, character and a free education. For what?????
What about Barnwell? His brother was tossed, correct??

Ha...my bro got tossed from RU and I still went and graduated. Then again we weren't on athletic scholarships and he never went to or passed a class and got tossed after a yr lol.

I had the same initial thought when I read the article...I could have sworn I just read the other day how the staff reached out to him to affirm his offer/commitment before dismissing his brother...makes zero sense the the staff would do that and then suddenly stop communicating...something doesn’t smell right here and I wonder if the kid is just trying to save face...either way I wonder if we go hard after the Pitt commit Collier now?

That's a very good point but under a little different circumstance. Nadir Barnwell had been booted from the team in 2015 (?) long before Elijah committed to the team. Brendan's dismissal came during the same time of the commitment of his younger brother. That being said, who knows what the circumstances are behind this decommitment. Maybe it was Tyler not being comfortable for whatever reason. Maybe the coaches didn't think it was a good idea for him to be here. There is always side A's story and side B's story. Then there is the truth. One thing is for sure. Little bro can blame big bro on this one.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News

Cripes...not even close to the same thing. Barnwells = Good Family, one bad brother. DeVeras= maybe younger brother is a good kid and takes a hit but this mess basically made us boot the entire family and for good reason. I’m guessing younger bro is innocent and thus why Ash is letting him bow out gracefully. But no one in their family was going to near the team again.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I usually get upset with decommits but this kid, seriously? He's a 2 star/5.4 rating recruit, I'm sure there's plenty more of them that Ash will grab before this class is all said and done. Kid was definitely not on the high priority list of omg the sky is falling.
only on our list

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT