ADVERTISEMENT

4 days until kickoff you east coast pizza pie eating heathens :P

Dawg, we are starting our tailgate at 9am on gameday. Want to join us. If you do my prediction is by game time neither of us will know (or care) who is playing and what the score is. If you come I will also bring a pizza pie Deninos South for you to try. Real pizza will send make you a Jersey lover.

Dawg, we are starting our tailgate at 9am on gameday. Want to join us. If you do my prediction is by game time neither of us will know (or care) who is playing and what the score is. If you come I will also bring a pizza pie Deninos South for you to try. Real pizza will send make you a Jersey lover.
Don't they sell Papa John's in the stadium? A pizza flunkie from the West Coast will not know the difference.

Reactions: cicero grimes
We were not THAT bad against UW.
We had over 300 yards of offense and 13 points against a CFB championship team.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869097

UW went TD-FG-TD-TD their first 4 drives. RU had the ball to start the game and had 119 yards by halftime. UW was up 48-3 at one point. It was really, really bad. It's a shame RU is at such a low because this game has all the makings of a trap game. Cross-country game on a Friday, opening game for a team with extremely high expectations, raucous home crowd. If this team was as talented as the 2012 or 2014 teams then maybe we could dream of an upset. Just believe it is too early in the process to expect this game to be within 20, and I say that with the expectation that this team will pull off 4-5 wins.

We were not THAT bad against UW.
We had over 300 yards of offense and 13 points against a CFB championship team.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869097

We had 13 points and 304 total yards over 88 plays (4.2/completion, 2.8/carry). The following week, Idaho came to town and had 14 points and total 322 yards... on 78 plays (5.7/completion, 2.7/carry).

Our first 5 series managed just 16 total yards, and 10 of those were due to a defensive holding penalty. It was clear very early that our personnel was not going to be successful operating out of that scheme.

We had 13 points and 304 total yards over 88 plays (4.2/completion, 2.8/carry). The following week, Idaho came to town and had 14 points and total 322 yards... on 78 plays (5.7/completion, 2.7/carry).
It was clear very early that our COACHING personnel was not going to be successful operating that scheme.
Another way of looking at it, but agree. But the coaching personnel had options. Just not clear if they knew how to use those options.

What I found more troubling in the first game was the defense's performance. IIRC, Ash gave an interview and said he had no idea Ross was that fast. Whoops. Rookie error, I hope.

OC and head coach, let's not forget the issues with him that game as well

THE OC REPORTS TO THE HC, the HC is the boss and can override and make changes anytime he wants. The HC approves of the offense, plan etc etc

our OC has been made a scapegoat, he was only part of the problem

Yadda yadda.

I've talked about Ash's faults in this before, but his mistakes were largely in hiring. Mehringer turned out to be a bad choice in retrospect (head-scratching hire turned into headache). This was compounded, though, by not hiring an experienced offensive coaching hand to be a mentor/backup to the supposed wunderkind... so there was no one one to turn to when the offense started going south, and Ash didn't have experience on that side of the ball to right that ship.

Given Ash's lack of experience on that side of the ball, one would have hoped he'd have hired a strong OC with a proven track record that he could trust to own things as he acclimated to the HC role. Obviously, he went a different direction, and that decision had him stumble out of the gate.... no telling yet if he'll be able to catch up to the pace of the race.

Ash wasn't going to be able to step in and start calling offensive plays, though, as that's not his skill set... and if Mehringer was sidelined, there was really no one else on the offensive side of the ball who could, either. So, 100% agree that the root cause of the problem lies with Ash (hiring)... but once that mistake was baked in, there wasn't much he could do to fix it once the season started.

Yadda yadda.

I've talked about Ash's faults in this before, but his mistakes were largely in hiring. Mehringer turned out to be a bad choice in retrospect (head-scratching hire turned into headache). This was compounded, though, by not hiring an experienced offensive coaching hand to be a mentor/backup to the supposed wunderkind... so there was no one one to turn to when the offense started going south, and Ash didn't have experience on that side of the ball to right that ship.

Given Ash's lack of experience on that side of the ball, one would have hoped he'd have hired a strong OC with a proven track record that he could trust to own things as he acclimated to the HC role. Obviously, he went a different direction, and that decision had him stumble out of the gate.... no telling yet if he'll be able to catch up to the pace of the race.

Ash wasn't going to be able to step in and start calling offensive plays, though, as that's not his skill set... and if Mehringer was sidelined, there was really no one else on the offensive side of the ball who could, either. So, 100% agree that the root cause of the problem lies with Ash (hiring)... but once that mistake was baked in, there wasn't much he could do to fix it once the season started.
yada yada yada

nothing I said is wrong but nice try at deflecting

I don't t think Ash will override Kill this year much, if at all , this year.

Another way of looking at it, but agree. But the coaching personnel had options. Just not clear if they knew how to use those options.

What I found more troubling in the first game was the defense's performance. IIRC, Ash gave an interview and said he had no idea Ross was that fast. Whoops. Rookie error, I hope.

Well, better and more experienced offensive coaches would have better understood the tools we had and catered a scheme to them.... rather than trying to fit our personnel into a specific scheme that they weren't suited for.

We came into last year with just four WRs with collegiate receptions [Grant (63 rec, 685 yds, 1 TD), Patton (57 rec, 704 yds, 5 TD), Agudosi (27 rec, 424 yds, 1 TD), and Tsimis (25 rec, 254 yds, 3 TD)].... and then some freshmen and guys without collegiate receptions.... and we were running a scheme that was looking to go 7-8 guys deep into the WR roster? We did away with the FB and blocking TEs in a year where we were thin on the OLine and replacing both our tackles? Trying to make a pro-style QB into a read option one on top of all of that, too?

I get that Ash wanted to move to more of a spread concept and hired a guy he thought could get us there... but our personnel just wasn't there yet on Day One, and hotshot didn't have the chops to tailor the scheme and ramp us toward a spread (rather than trying to go cold turkey).

yada yada yada

nothing I said is wrong but nice try at deflecting

Not deflecting. Just calling you on the "Him too!" Tourrette syndrome. Ash shares in the blame (he's the one who brought in an OC that couldn't cut it without any other safety net on the offensive staff) - but that doesn't take away from hotshot's failures.

I don't t think Ash will override Kill this year much, if at all , this year.

I doubt he will, either - it's just not his background. His offensive background is based on observation and theory, and I doubt he can be much more than directional in how he wants to see the offense work. He's not going to roll up his sleeves and start calling offensive plays.

It wasn't in Schiano's either... and his offensive philosophy largely consisted of "run the ball and chew the clock so that my defense stays rested and their offense doesn't have the ball".

Ash didn't have the footing to really challenge DM last year - he certainly doesn't have the footing to challenge Kill. I'm just hoping that Kill can mentor Ash on the offensive side of the ball so that he can become a more well rounded HC.

A guy like Kill is really who we needed in the OC chair *last* year to own the offensive side while Ash got up to speed. Glad we have him this year, but it's also another reset button hit.

Not deflecting. Just calling you on the "Him too!" Tourrette syndrome. Ash shares in the blame (he's the one who brought in an OC that couldn't cut it without any other safety net on the offensive staff) - but that doesn't take away from hotshot's failures.
not at all, I responded appropriately. Too many want to pin it on the OC, the HC approves it all and can make changes at any time. Last year was on the HC plain and simple

Reactions: RUaMoose
not at all, I responded appropriately. Too many want to pin it on the OC, the HC approves it all and can make changes at any time. Last year was on the HC plain and simple

"Changes at any time" assumes that you have someone to hand the reins to, or have the chops to call the plays yourself.

Ash doesn't have any background in offensive scheming or playcalling, and he didn't hire anyone who was an "in case of emergency break glass" backup if boy wonder faltered.

His part of the failure was in the hiring process. *Knowing* he didn't have the ability to step in and own it himself as a first year HC with no offensive coaching background, it was on him to make sure that side of the ball wasn't at risk.

He chose to bring the knife to the gunfight... saying he could "make changes at any time" assumes he brought another option beyond the knife to switch to after the shooting started.

Ash's failure was going into his first HC season with a greenhorn OC and offensive staff, when he didn't have any ability to step in himself if the rookie fell apart. He learned that lesson a year late, and has tried to fix it with a highly experienced OC in Year 2... but that failure of judgement may prove too steep to overcome.

Still, though, that doesn't absolve zippy the wonder boy from being a terrible OC, simply because he was promoted above his competence. Flood was in that same boat, and was similarly terrible at his job (and yes, Pernetti bears his share of blame for handing him the keys... but that doesn't take away from Flood driving into the ditch).

"Changes at any time" assumes that you have someone to hand the reins to, or have the chops to call the plays yourself.

Ash doesn't have any background in offensive scheming or playcalling, and he didn't hire anyone who was an "in case of emergency break glass" backup if boy wonder faltered.

His part of the failure was in the hiring process. *Knowing* he didn't have the ability to step in and own it himself as a first year HC with no offensive coaching background, it was on him to make sure that side of the ball wasn't at risk.

He chose to bring the knife to the gunfight... saying he could "make changes at any time" assumes he brought another option beyond the knife to switch to after the shooting started.

Ash's failure was going into his first HC season with a greenhorn OC and offensive staff, when he didn't have any ability to step in himself if the rookie fell apart. He learned that lesson a year late, and has tried to fix it with a highly experienced OC in Year 2... but that failure of judgement may prove too steep to overcome.

Still, though, that doesn't absolve zippy the wonder boy from being a terrible OC, simply because he was promoted above his competence. Flood was in that same boat, and was similarly terrible at his job (and yes, Pernetti bears his share of blame for handing him the keys... but that doesn't take away from Flood driving into the ditch).
you clearly don't get it

do you know how the game plan, practices, offense, defense, etc etc is set up?

if you think the HC is not involved GREATLY then you are clueless. Even still, you don't watch that season and wait as long as you did to make changes.

sorry amigo, HC blows

Reactions: RUaMoose
you clearly don't get it

do you know how the game plan, practices, offense, defense, etc etc is set up?

if you think the HC is not involved GREATLY then you are clueless. Even still, you don't watch that season and wait as long as you did to make changes.

sorry amigo, HC blows

There's that Tourrette's again. Only a matter of time before you make that last line your sig.

Rutgers wins.

Rutgers gets a big 3rd and long stop at the end of the game.

Washington punts the ball, sky high type punt to deny grant a return. Everyone clears out, ball takes a strange hop right in Grants direction. Janarion returns it to the house. Rutgers wins.

I'm sorry. I can't help it, I do this to myself every year [cheers]

5 of the top 11 teams in the country on our schedule. Ugh. Sobering when you see it typed out/in print.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
5 of the top 11 teams in the country on our schedule. Ugh. Sobering when you see it typed out/in print.

...and OSU will be peeved-off after last year's playoff whuppin.

As the saying goes "I see a light at the end of the tunnel and its a train" lol

Reactions: DirtyRU
The ironic thing about us having such a tough schedule is that any of those teams we might happen to beat would immediately rocket to the bottom of the Top 25 because of the loss.

Thanks cicero and will do. TBH the tailgating is the best part of the game imo. If I wanted a decent view of the game I'd watch it on TV. I'm all for the tailgating. :)

Don't they sell Papa John's in the stadium? A pizza flunkie from the West Coast will not know the difference.
tenor.gif

Funny story. Washington was playing Connecticut in the NCAA tourney back in the mid 90's and a guy at work said; 'I'll bet ya $20 the Huskies lose.' And like an idiot I said I'll take that bet. Then he says hand me over my $20 because the Huskies are playing the Huskies. I was so fvcking pissed .. but I handed him the $20 seeing how I was screwed either way. :angry:
Just for laughs, you should've up the ante by kicking in a white pie. Would you have bought it and would he have eaten it ?
Just another add on in Jersey.

An improved RU secondary and no John Ross running by everybody. A RU QB, whoever it is, that's a better fit for the offense.

Washington 38
Rutgers 17

And a Special Teams Coach not kicking directly to their big play threat. Last year Ross ..this year Petits .

I go to this game with two basic hopes..... one is that our offense
gets first downs....every first down is like gold....it takes time off the clock, the other team is not scoring...string those babies together!

the second is that the other guy just has a bad day.... dropped passes, tipped passes for ints...and fumble city.... it can happen

it does not mean we win, but it could keep us in the game.... and if we are in it, I then get greedy....

Hope it is like 2002 when we played Miami who had a great team. I thought we would get blown out. Leading game late in third quarter i believe when they called the bogus penalty on Nate Jones. That Miami team played Ohio State for championship. Hate how most fans here are giving up already. I am glad that Ross is gone.

Last edited:
What part of Alaska did you get to visit?

Started a few nights in Seattle, then took Amtrak up to Vancouver. Cruised up the inland passage (Vancouver/Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway/Glacier Bay/Seward), then inland through Homer/Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks. Side trip up to Coldfoot/Wiseman (above Arctic Circle). Was a great trip. 3 weeks altogether. Beautiful scenery, no rain, stayed in 60s/70s.

Notre Dame being on that list (again) is one of the big reasons why preseason polls are a complete joke.
Yeah.. the deal is that so many voters have a vested interest in the value of Notre Dame football (and other teams). The media wants to pitch ranked teams vs ranked teams games... and they want games with large fan bases for ratings points for more ad dollars. Their first two games are Temple and Georgia.. while few voters would be invested in Temple.. surely they would like Temple beating a ranked team. Everyone in the ACC would like that. And then Georgia... it is in Georgia's interest to beat a ranked Notre Dame.. and in the SEC's to beat a ranked Georgia who beat a ranked Notre Dame.

There was a time when SEC reporters and coaches voted down their hated rivals and those programs they recruited against.. now it goes the other way. Everyone gets voted UP so that the SEC looks great no matter what happens.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... but this might kill us.

My hope for the first game is a good showing on the part of the coaches. I want to see smart use of the clock and play calls and a defense that can get pressure on the QB. We can lose by 3 TDs and if I see the above I will be satisfied.. for now. Progress is the key.

Here are the “consensus” top 25 teams in college football heading into the season.

With college football teams set to report to fall camp in a couple of weeks, many outlets are updating/releasing their preseason top 25 polls.

Here’s a “consensus” one.

Stassen.com has compiled the rankings from a number of different outlets and put together a “consensus” preseason top 25 poll.

The 'Consensus' College Football Preseason Top 25

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. Florida St.
4. Washington
5. USC
6. Penn St.
7. Oklahoma
8. Clemson
9. Wisonsin
10. Auburn
11. Michigan