ADVERTISEMENT

4 days until kickoff you east coast pizza pie eating heathens :P

Started a few nights in Seattle, then took Amtrak up to Vancouver. Cruised up the inland passage (Vancouver/Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway/Glacier Bay/Seward), then inland through Homer/Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks. Side trip up to Coldfoot/Wiseman (above Arctic Circle). Was a great trip. 3 weeks altogether. Beautiful scenery, no rain, stayed in 60s/70s.
Holy cow you covered some ground on that trip. Ketchikan to Coldfoot is no mean feat. That's some serious travelling.

I wanted to punch you in the face after your first post here, and I mean that in a New Jersey, loving way. How ya doin?
Hiya NS. :) I'll admit I came on a little strong that first thread on here. :D Meanwhile that poster I quoted up above is using an account he made back in 2013 and has a grand total of 13 post. If that isn't a troll account then I've never seen one before.

Hiya NS. :) I'll admit I came on a little strong that first thread on here. :D Meanwhile that poster I quoted up above is using an account he made back in 2013 and has a grand total of 13 post. If that isn't a troll account then I've never seen one before.

What I find amusing about your posting style is you come in here like Mike Tyson gearing up for the championship fight, when you are in reality fighting a 90 pound weakling. Well, that's what we were last year. We should be bulked up to about at least 180 pounds and have a few more punches for the Dawgs this year. Maybe jet lag will kick in and slow the Dawgs down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
What I find amusing about your posting style is you come in here like Mike Tyson gearing up for the championship fight, when you are in reality fighting a 90 pound weakling. Well, that's what were last year. We should be bulked up to about at least 180 pounds and have a few more punches for the Dawgs this year. Maybe jet lag will kick in and slow the Dawgs down.
Washington was coming off back to back 6 - 6 seasons before they finally put it together last year so I figured some smack talk was in order. I've toned it down some since then. I expect a closer game this year. It will be Ash's 2nd year so he's had at least a little time to get his system in place not to mention west coast teams don't fare too good when they play on the east coast. Boston College beating USC a few years back comes to mind although there's a lot more examples than just that game.

Washington was coming off back to back 6 - 6 seasons before they finally put it together last year so I figured some smack talk was in order. I've toned it down some since then. I expect a closer game this year. It will be Ash's 2nd year so he's had at least a little time to get his system in place not to mention west coast teams don't fare too good when they play on the east coast. Boston College beating USC a few years back comes to mind although there's a lot more examples than just that game.

Well, John Ross III will not outrun us this year, so we have that going for us. Pettis is a step slower, or at least I think he is. Any other speedsters we need to worry about in the WR and return departments?

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Well, John Ross III will not outrun us this year, so we have that going for us. Pettis is a step slower, or at least I think he is. Any other speedsters we need to worry about in the WR and return departments?
UW doesn't have anyone with John Ross speed. That guy was one of a kind in the speed dept. I think Washington is going to rely on the run a lot more than they did last year. They have arguably the best 1 - 2 RB punch in the conference, Jake Browning is coming off an operation, they have a new WR coach after Hamdan joined the Falcons staff, and they have 4 returning starting OL. All that tells me run the ball. I don't see Washington racking up near the passing yards as they did last season.

Who's going to be Rutgers starting QB this season?

UW doesn't have anyone with John Ross speed. That guy was one of a kind in the speed dept. I think Washington is going to rely on the run a lot more than they did last year. They have arguably the best 1 - 2 RB punch in the conference, Jake Browning is coming off an operation, they have a new WR coach after Hamdan joined the Falcons staff, and they have 4 returning starting OL. All that tells me run the ball. I don't see Washington racking up near the passing yards as they did last season.

Who's going to be Rutgers starting QB this season?
Holy cow. Hamdan and our ex-coach Kyle Flood are on the same staff.

As for our QB. It's Gio's job to lose, but a lot of folks think the grad transfer from Louisville Kyle Bolin has a good shot at it. We also have a freshman coming in who some think have a shot. I doubt he will start against UW though.

Well, better and more experienced offensive coaches would have better understood the tools we had and catered a scheme to them.... rather than trying to fit our personnel into a specific scheme that they weren't suited for.

We came into last year with just four WRs with collegiate receptions [Grant (63 rec, 685 yds, 1 TD), Patton (57 rec, 704 yds, 5 TD), Agudosi (27 rec, 424 yds, 1 TD), and Tsimis (25 rec, 254 yds, 3 TD)].... and then some freshmen and guys without collegiate receptions.... and we were running a scheme that was looking to go 7-8 guys deep into the WR roster? We did away with the FB and blocking TEs in a year where we were thin on the OLine and replacing both our tackles? Trying to make a pro-style QB into a read option one on top of all of that, too?

I get that Ash wanted to move to more of a spread concept and hired a guy he thought could get us there... but our personnel just wasn't there yet on Day One, and hotshot didn't have the chops to tailor the scheme and ramp us toward a spread (rather than trying to go cold turkey).

DM was completely inept as evidenced by his having no transition plan to move between offenses that have a lot of distance between them on the continuum of possible offensive schemes.

I was watching the 2014 replay of the Nebraska v. Minnesota game where both were ranked in the top 25 at the time and the game was played at Nebraska.
Kill's offense utilized the talent they did have (which is very comparable to our current talent) and the play calling was very effective in terms of formations, timing and personnel. His offense actually helped the team compete.

I predict this year's offense will be a reasonable threat to our opponents as opposed to DM's offense which was so ill conceived and such a misfit with our personnel that it was almost no threat to the defense and it put tremendous pressure on our defense and special teams. I just got our tickets to the Washington game and I trust it will be much more competitive than last year.

Last edited:
So how does this years squad compare to last years? Where is UW stronger, where are they weaker? Where can they be exposed?
I don't think UW will be near as deep on the DL as last season. The secondary is young and can be exposed early in the season while they're still green. The DL won't be near as deep and on the offensive side the loss of John Ross will be noticeable imo. Strengths will be the running game and LB position. I doubt Washington puts up near the offensive numbers as they did last season.

OC and head coach, let's not forget the issues with him that game as well

THE OC REPORTS TO THE HC, the HC is the boss and can override and make changes anytime he wants. The HC approves of the offense, plan etc etc

our OC has been made a scapegoat, he was only part of the problem

The head coach (Kill) will be telling the head coach (Ash) what will be happening with the offense.

zS7hXCdZ_400x400.jpg

Reactions: RUin2WIN
Holy cow you covered some ground on that trip. Ketchikan to Coldfoot is no mean feat. That's some serious travelling.

People who just cruised and think they've seen Alaska need to go inland a bit. Really beautiful up there (maybe not as much when it's -40 F in the winter though).

When we were in Skagway, we heard that nobody has been born there in awhile. No doctors resident (one visits once/month)! If you are pregnant, you have to leave a month before your due date to have your baby somewhere else - interesting.....

I never understood that west to east excuse. If anything eastern teams going west.. especially for night games.. is a huge disadvantage.

It is known that you are at your physical and mental peak fairly close to "morning" for you, all things being equal regarding nutrition and sleep.

Assuming football games in the east begin anywhere from Noon to 8PM.. that is 9AM to 5PM for a "Pacific Time" player, with games finishing maybe 4 hours later.. 1PM to 8PM (Pacific Time). Whereas that same case for an Eastern Time player becomes 3PM to 11PM and ending 7PM to 2AM.

Its no contest. West Coast teams playing on the East Coast for HOME and HOME have an ADVANTAGE.

I predict this year's offense will be a reasonable threat to our opponents as opposed to DM's offense which was so ill conceived and such a misfit with our personnel that it was almost no threat to the defense and it put tremendous pressure on our defense and special teams.
They call this ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION.

DM probably has *something* to offer the coaching ranks sometime in the future.. but he needs a lot more time in the incubator. He gained a lot of knowledge about his limitations and abilities as an OC here.. on our dime. I also think Kill will have a positive impact like Friedgen had to Flood's offense... only moreso.

We are back in the catch-22 of college football.. you need recruits to win (especially in the Big Ten East) and you need to win to recruit. Maybe if we hired a Harbaugh or some big name to coach or built some ridiculous palace of football and provided hookers to recruits and jobs to their parents... we could break that conundrum.. but that's where we are.

Last edited:
I never understood that west to east excuse. If anything eastern teams going west.. especially for night games.. is a huge disadvantage.

It is known that you are at your physical and mental peak fairly close to "morning" for you, all things being equal regarding nutrition and sleep.

Assuming football games in the east begin anywhere from Noon to 8PM.. that is 9AM to 5PM for a "Pacific Time" player, with games finishing maybe 4 hours later.. 1PM to 8PM (Pacific Time). Whereas that same case for an Eastern Time player becomes 3PM to 11PM and ending 7PM to 2AM.

Its no contest. West Coast teams playing on the East Coast for HOME and HOME have an ADVANTAGE.
Just a wild guess but I'm thinking humidity might be a factor. What you people back east call 'air' we call 'soup'. Seriously I don't know how you people live like that. I remember my time at Ft. Dix and the air there was like trying to breathe soup. Five minutes out of the shower and my t-shirt was sticking to my back. Fvk all that.

Just a wild guess but I'm thinking humidity might be a factor. What you people back east call 'air' we call 'soup'. Seriously I don't know how you people live like that. I remember my time at Ft. Dix and the air there was like trying to breathe soup. Five minutes out of the shower and my t-shirt was sticking to my back. Fvk all that.
Well then, here's hoping for a nasty, sticky day!

Waddaya mean, "you people"..?

This is very true and I had not considered it. But is that a dry rain they have in Seattle? I do know Miami counts the humidity as a home field advantage. But September is a time when it can be verrrry nice here. You get those Canadian Highs sending cool dry air in.. very nice. The warm ocean helps moderate temps for a long time.

Yes, New Jersey gets all kinds of weather. It can be as hot and steamy as New Orleans or Miami and as cold as.. well, not winter in Alaska... okay we rarely see sub-zero temps.. but the variations in temps in the winter with all forms of frozen precipitation... it gets downright nasty when a single shovel of "snow" can weight 20 pounds and to get to it you have to chip through inch-thick ice. Was that just last year that you could walk around your yard after a single day of "snow" ... Actually I remember it now... the stuff came down like tiny Styrofoam balls and for hours.. consistent.. and produced something like a layer of Styrofoam form-fitted to your yard and strong enough to stand on. Crazy stuff for a crazy weather state.

Last edited:
It's only the main river from Bound Brook south to Raritan Bay. Getting somewhat better, but still not good. As a kid growing up in NB, can't ever remember seeing anybody fishing in the river. At low tide there are spots around Pistcataway where you could walk across. Plus the Delaware Raritan Canal runs parallel with the river and was full of freshwater fish.
The north and south branches of the Raritan in north and central Jersey are prime trout fishing waters and are stocked in the spring and fall. Some stretches are designated as fly fishing only and restricted to a certain number of fish daily.
We actually have salmon in two lakes that are deep enough to keep them cool in the summer, but tough to catch. Nothing like good old Jersey smoked salmon after a nice day on the lake.

Dawg, we are starting our tailgate at 9am on gameday. Want to join us. If you do my prediction is by game time neither of us will know (or care) who is playing and what the score is. If you come I will also bring a pizza pie Deninos South for you to try. Real pizza will send make you a Jersey lover.
You do know that Deninos main location in on Staten Island.
http://deninossi.com/

ADVERTISEMENT