ADVERTISEMENT

4 Star 2016 PF back on the Market

So he would be eligible to play immediately? Is this too good to be true (for whichever school gets him). Anybody know if RU recruited him before and/or if he has any connection to anyone on our new coaching staff?

According to the article, he's 6'9", which doesn't sound too small to me.

This kid had a lot of offers from very good schools. He is from Florida and many Florida schools as well as many other southern schools offered him. Connecticut also offered. Somehow I doubt he would consider us. It would be nice to consider him if he was interested but he would be a frosh and we would not have an open scholarship for Alvarado unless someone left. At this time we have Laurent, Thiam, Omoruyi and maybe Bullock all at SF. At PF we have Freeman and Sa. He is listed as a PF but only weights 185LB. Some say he is really a SF and might only be 6'7". I suppose he would be a nice get if we even had a chance but it could present problems for playing time for players.

So he would be eligible to play immediately? Is this too good to be true (for whichever school gets him). Anybody know if RU recruited him before and/or if he has any connection to anyone on our new coaching staff?

According to the article, he's 6'9", which doesn't sound too small to me.
I have been told that he is eligible immediately.

Rutgers was never in the mix with him before.

Baxter's game is more small forward/perimeter oriented. Can play some power forward in a small lineup. He's a legit 6-foot-8 and about 195 pounds. He has elite athleticism.

Oregon has the pole position for him right now.

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
Did USF coach Orlando Antigua's tenure as a Pitt player/assistant coach overlap at Pitt with that of Rutgers assistant Brandin Knight? It might help Rutgers, with as little chance as they have here, to get their foot in the door with Troy Baxter.

Last edited:
Has Rutgers started classes? According to Baxter's father, they are looking at schools that haven't started the semester yet.

Nebraska's Andrew White wanted to consider Cuse, that would take him out of contention for Cuse if Baxter lands there, but I thought Cuse was at the ship limit.

I think schools need to really dig into the details on what exactly happened and why USF released him.

Not in the mix

7m7 minutes ago
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Former USF commit Troy Baxter has cut his list to UNLV, UCLA, Oregon, and Arizona State, his father told @CBSSports. Visits being set up.

Why all the western locales? Rough for parents to travel from Tallahassee to catch games at these schools. Do these school's have booster clubs that pay for parent's travel? Or is it a non-factor -- all games available on cable?

Most eastern schools have already started the semester. The schools on his list haven't started classes yet, some don't start until very late in September.

Those schools all have someone on the staff that has a relationship with Baxter and/or his old HS/AAU Coach.

UNLV needs players badly. Baxter could play 35 minutes per game there.

His folks can watch the Pac-12 Network.

His father just text me that Oregon is out, so Baxter is down to three schools.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT