ADVERTISEMENT

46 Years Ago Today in Rutgers Football History - Hey, Hey, it's J.J. !

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
After a fast start, Rutgers finished the 1973 season at 6-5 but J.J. Jennings established nine records and was team MVP. The December 12, 1973 Targum reported Jennings, “… received a Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete scholarship, was the nation’s leading scorer with 128 points and also finished sixth among the nation’s leaders in rushing. He had 303 carries for 1,353 yards and 21 touchdowns this fall, all single season Rutgers records. He also set game and career marks in carries, yardage, and touchdowns scored. Coach Frank Burns called him, ‘The best back I have coached... not only was he an outstanding player but an outstanding person.’”
Bell%2074%20Head%20JJ%20Jennings%202.jpg

Great player, and very nice guy who still attends many of our games, home and away. On Defense we had the great Nate Toran, who's sack records may never be broken on the banks, even with additional games per season now played. Anyone know what happened to Nate Toran? I've done internet searches several times and come up empty. Next time I see JJ at tailgate I hope to remember to ask him.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
I'm a lot older than JJ, and met him in Ann Arbor several years ago at a pub before a RU-Michigan game. A nicer man I've never met. Gracious, grounded, great conversationalist, wanted to listen to others.

Truth. Met him out in Louisville in 2007, I think, and thereafter have seen and chatted with him at multiple road games and a few bowl game trips.

46 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn I'm old, as JJ and Nate were my contemporaries at RU

Funny story:
When I was young, my father took me to see a lot of Rutgers games. He took me to a Rutgers vs Umass game. JJ was playing for Rutgers. There was an annoying guy in our section from Umass who had a son playing for Unass. Whenever he did something good in the game he would stand up and say “That’s my son!!” Well, we are an Italian family. So, when JJ broke free for another TD, he led the nation is scoring that year, my father stood up and said “That’s my son!!”
Everyone laughed.

ADVERTISEMENT