ADVERTISEMENT

5 Thoughts on Tonight’s Game

1. Mulcahy is the glue and primary facilitator. Whether it's an extra pass for an open three or the lob to Cliff. The offense stalled without him.
2. Rutgers did not value the basketball most of the game. Countless careless turnovers and poor shot selection.
3. I was hoping the 5 day rest meant we'd see either Paul of Caleb return
4. See point 1, the ball moves better around perimeter with Paul. Without him, you can key in on Cam.
5. This is a good tape to analyze and grow from. Lots of mistakes to react to.

Go RU

1. Let’s not overreact with Paul and Caleb out
2. Turnovers killed us in the first half, we were very careless with the ball.
3. Temple beat us on the glass and it was worse than the stats indicate as the margin tightened in the last couple of minutes. Cliff has to do a better job of boxing out and the rest of the team has to start crashing the boards.
4. We need to be more discipled on defense. All the players chase the ball like little kids playing soccer. If we have 3 men on the ball, it means a couple of people are open. Notre Dame picked us apart over this and Temple did the same tonight.
5. We need to run more screens for Spencer to get him some open 3 point looks. Tonight may be an outlier because he had play with the ball because everyone else was inept, but we can’t expect him to create his own shot beyond the arc.
6. Hyatt should only attack the rim if he can get there in a couple of steps or dribbles. If he has the ball in his hands too long, he will turn it over.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
1. Let’s not overreact with Paul and Caleb out
2. Turnovers killed us in the first half, we were very careless with the ball.
3. Temple beat us on the glass and it was worse than the stats indicate as the margin tightened in the last couple of minutes. Cliff has to do a better job of boxing out and the rest of the team has to start crashing the boards.
4. We need to be more discipled on defense. All the players chase the ball like little kids playing soccer. If we have 3 men on the ball, it means a couple of people are open. Notre Dame picked us apart over this and Temple did the same tonight.
5. We need to run more screens for Spencer to get him some open 3 point looks. Tonight may be an outlier because he had play with the ball because everyone else was inept, but we can’t expect him to create his own shot beyond the arc.
6. Hyatt should only attack the rim if he can get there in a couple of steps or dribbles. If he has the ball in his hands too long, he will turn it over.
That was 6 thoughts. Take 2 laps.

There was zero flow on offense. Temple played aggressive on-ball defense from the get go and pressure our guards into discomfort. This led to bad shots, turnovers, etc. Cliff needs to shoot the ball when it makes sense. I know he's trying to develop an outside game, but he doesn't have one yet and those awkward shots lead to empty possessions. I thought the team looked very slow in the first half...played stiff and slow...Temple ran circles around us on both ends of the floor. With all that said, it's just one game and I love how they fought back. Felt like Simpson got a lot out of this game. He had to deal with pressure he's never seen before in a game and was better in second half than first. As he played better Cam got more looks. I think this loss helped us get better....but hate to take a loss to Temple.

It’s not unrealistic to expect a minimum of 25% from 3. If we had done that in this game we win. Foul-shooting sucked too but 65% isn’t too much to overcome.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Here's my thoughts - this loss was on Pike: the team was not ready to play in the first half and that is on the coach. Why start pressing in the second half? It worked then, why not ten minutes into the first half? (and letting Palmquist take 3 shots in the first half?)

Palmquist with wide open threes not made.
1st half we rushed things, seemed trying too hard forcing things
certain players charging full ahead in uncontrolled fashion was O foul or turnover
Cliff with 3 foul shots in a row short
So many opportunities to close the gap early not made

A major part of this was on Pike:

Did not press much in first half which was the game changer in 2nd half. Why not? Your team seemed lethargic and you did not try to change tempo to our favor.

Two minutes left and you were weren’t fouling u til 53 secs. Instead gave up a 3 to Battle which was the dagger(ill advised shot on his part if you were playing smart to burn clock but it went in).

Bringing in palmquist and allowing 2 3s from a guy who seems out of place in D1 is not ideal. I know we are down bodies but seems misplaced.

Otherwise so many execution problems from players. Even with bad shooting we were in this game and could have won. First half destroyed us.

One thing totally out of left field but I would like to see woolfolk get more time. While he didn’t produce much of anything yesterday there was a moment he got the ball in the post and made a great drop step to the basket before a foil was called. He seems to have great footwork and I actually think he could be an added element to our rotation and help in the post on offense as teams seem to be doubling cliff. Seems to be a good passer out of here also. Just a hunch but I can see the ability

This was a stupid game to schedule

No disrespect to temple , but we should either play cupcakes or power 6 opponents .

Playing st Bonnie on a neutral site three years ago was stupid . Playing temple in Connecticut is stupid

Here's my thoughts - this loss was on Pike: the team was not ready to play in the first half and that is on the coach. Why start pressing in the second half? It worked then, why not ten minutes into the first half? (and letting Palmquist take 3 shots in the first half?)
Palmquist is on the team because he is supposed to be a good 3 point shooter.Reality is the team lacks thee point shooters as seen in the 24 point advantage Temple had in scoring with that shot.

If Palmquist makes one shot we think it’s a good move if he makes two it’s brilliant if he makes all three Pikes a genius

Nothing was going in why not try something different? it didn’t work but judge the thought process not the results

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT