ADVERTISEMENT

56 - 33 in 7 years

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Once he turned the program around. Let that sink in...

Don’t gimme no revisionist history bs.

Spare me “he was a shitty game day coach”

Get outta here with that “couldn’t win the big one” garbage.

We were the R. Respected, Ranked, Recruited.

Not only did he polish this turd, he dressed it up and took it to the f’ing prom!

Bring him back and turn him loose.

STFU, and let him do it again.

Anyone else is a crap shoot at THIS institution.

Give me a relentless workaholic who knows this culture and will recruit his ass off.

Yes, he may lose some he shoulda won, but in the end, we will ALL win... again.

Give me Greg Schiano.

Last edited:
Yes this is definitely one perspective. There are also scenarios, even some that are likely to happen, where Schiano would struggle.

It’s impossible for anything to remain the same over time - so we have to understand that we aren’t getting the exact same guy we had 10 years ago, for better or for worse

Agreed. He won’t be the same. But he knows what to do. He’s been there, done that, and will bring all those experiences since Rutgers, good and bad, and help this turd once again.

Agreed. He won’t be the same. But he knows what to do. He’s been there, done that, and will bring all those experiences since Rutgers, good and bad, and help this turd once again.

The battle that exists is :

Those who would gamble on the unknown with the chance of striking it big or striking out and doing this again in 4 years . (Also those few who wrongly crap on Schiano)

Vs

Those who are aiming at at least some consistency with the chance that we could see what one of our own program greats (as a coach and a personality) can do the second time around.

It’s a solid argument either way.

So it leads to two candidates :

Schiano and Hafley. As much as I’d like Hafley and think he could win big here, it’s important that we use this opportunity to declare moving forward that we are a program who hires proven coaches. Let people really earn this job from now on

Last edited:
Her deserves strong consideration, very strong, because of what he did, but can't be considered the only player in town.
Let's see who pops up from the G-5s on Hobbs' radar that looks like a great catch after this season ends and compare him to Greg.

Some should bite the dust quickly but there are some that will show Greg isn't the only game in town, but he might have an edge because he done it before.

The question is : could a top G-5 HC looking to move into a P-5 position show enough to think he'll get the job done just as well/ maybe better.
If so get him, if not Greg's the one.
In case of tie, the push goes to Schiano and Hobbs needs to make him the man

Her deserves strong consideration, very strong, because of what he did, but can't be considered the only player in town.
Let's see who pops up from the G-5s on Hobbs' radar that looks like a great catch after this season ends and compare him to Greg.

Some should bite the dust quickly but there are some that will show Greg isn't the only game in town, but he might have an edge because he done it before.

The question is : could a top G-5 HC looking to move into a P-5 position show enough to think he'll get the job done just as well/ maybe better.

To me this is, without question, the best approach.

During that span,What's the new years day bowl record ?

....and all the other coaches in RU's football history? What is their record in New Years day games?
Rutgers is 6-4 all time in bowl games.
Schiano: 5-1
Everybody else: 1-3

All time RU's record vs. West Virginia: 4-33.
Using your criteria we need to get Doug Graber back. He's had half of RU's wins vs. WVU in school history.
He's only 75 and well rested since he hasn't coached since 2003 when he guided the Frankfurt Galaxy to a World Bowl victory so he was even more successful then GS at the professional level!!

In 150 years of football RU has been ranked in polls in 7 different years...4 of them during Schiano's tenure including twice in the top 10.

Again I'm not saying not to look at any and all candidates but Greg's the only guy who was able to give Rutgers some relevance......ever.

If you ask that question about Schiano, you've gotta ask it about every candidate. "How many New Year's Day bowl games have you won?" Not a bad thing to consider, if you're in the market for that level of coach. But, is RU in that market, and if so, how many of those coaches are available?

In the 25 years prior to that timespan, can you tell me how many bowl games we went to? How long it had been since we had a winning season? What the highest attendance had been? How many of those years we had a winning record? What the greatest win total we had in a season was?

Not only did he polish this turd, he dressed it up and took it to the f’ing prom!

Give me a relentless workaholic who knows this culture and will recruit his ass off.

Give me Greg Schiano.
Yes he was. Now since we play 9 conference games. Can you back out 5 guaranteed wins that he scheduled ever year and just tell me his conference record over that same time span. It’s 500

Honestly, who knows if that’s even him anymore?

The last career move he made was to leave the Patriots weeks before the NFL season began for reasons people can only speculate.

Now, I’m not saying I don’t think he should be the guy. But the current version of Schiano is in a way different stage in his career than the Schiano who coached here.

The last career move he made was to leave the Patriots weeks before the NFL season began for reasons people can only speculate.

Now, I’m not saying I don’t think he should be the guy. But the current version of Schiano is in a way different stage in his career than the Schiano who coached here.

Weeks??? It was four months almost to the day from when he resigned and the start of training camp .

Agreed on we don't even know if he's the same guy who was here before. I'd be happy with either him or Butch Jones.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Sorry but hiring GS would be a mistake. I hope RU can do better whether its Hafley or whomever. Trying to recreate the past which honestly from an outside perspective was built on playing in a weak conference with a weak OOC schedule. The BIG east division is a different animal and hiring him would guarantee your program continued mediocrity at best. Maybe that is what some are looking for...
I don't see hiring a younger less experienced coach as a risky move, Seriously it can not get any worse than what it is now. Hafley can recruit and that is a good place to start... All RU needs is just to start building some positive vibes and for folks to be patient.. Goal next year should be four wins.. maybe five and build from that.

Indiana is 12-75 versus Ohio State. We need to beat the Purdue and Indiana teams. Greg took over and O line was terrible and Greg got Jeremy Zuttah, I think he was the most important recruit we recruited.

No one is popping up. We know the names and no one is excited. Time to bring one of our own back to jersey and assemble jersey roots coaches and start repping the state U again with respect and pride being felt by the fans .

I suppose there's no guarantee that he's the same at 53 as he was at 34-45 as aging catches up with you eventually, but this is an example of what he was like just a couple years ago. Not sure he's lost too much of his fire based on that, looks like he can motivate pretty well. And I think he'd be fine trying to get his message across to recruits.

The ONLY person who can bring the buzz he would back to Piscataway is Urban Meyer ... and urban ain’t coming

The ONLY person who can bring the buzz he would back to Piscataway is Urban Meyer ... and urban ain’t coming
Lol have to laugh at this post . Schiano would absolutely bring a buzz if he comes back. You are either not being sincere or you are obvious to things.

Will bringing back a former HC (Greg) work again for Rutgers.

Don't know.

Pitt tried it with John Majors #2, but he did not work out as well as John Majors #1.

John Majors:

Pitt (HC): 1973-1976 (Age 30) left Pitt for Tennessee after he directed Pitt to a football National Championship.

Tennessee (HC): 1977-1992

Pitt (HC): 1993-1996 (Age 50) was replaced after going 12-32.

I have the ultimate respect for John Majors who is truly a great coach with class and integrity.

Good luck with Rutgers coaching decision.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Lol have to laugh at this post . Schiano would absolutely bring a buzz if he comes back. You are either not being sincere or you are obvious to things.

Nahhh, don't think he is oblivious...when you read his post try substituting Schiano for "he" and you'll see that he meant the only other person is UM.

No one is popping up. We know the names and no one is excited. Time to bring one of our own back to jersey and assemble jersey roots coaches and start repping the state U again with respect and pride being felt by the fans .
You know the names and aren’t excited simply because you won’t consider anyone but Schiano.

People outside of the Schiano cult of personality are excited by the possibility of coaches who have turned programs around as well as proven to be much better game day coaches than Schiano.

Sorry but hiring GS would be a mistake. I hope RU can do better whether its Hafley or whomever. Trying to recreate the past which honestly from an outside perspective was built on playing in a weak conference with a weak OOC schedule. The BIG east division is a different animal and hiring him would guarantee your program continued mediocrity at best. Maybe that is what some are looking for...
I don't see hiring a younger less experienced coach as a risky move, Seriously it can not get any worse than what it is now. Hafley can recruit and that is a good place to start... All RU needs is just to start building some positive vibes and for folks to be patient.. Goal next year should be four wins.. maybe five and build from that.
How do you ask others to be patient when Rutgers has a history of screwing things up? Other than Schiano, in recent history, Rutgers doesn't value quality over saving a few pennies. Hobbs had a chance to hire a good coach from some more established and proven coaches back in 2015 when Rutgers' rep was still attractive. The leadership screwed it up as usual and you really expect the same decision-makers to get hit a home run this time? I love how people try to downplay Schiano's success, but don't offer a qualified replacement. Hafley could be the answer, but Hobbs blew that opportunity to take another risk in hiring an inexperienced head coach. People don't have the patience to sit through another "maybe" type of situation. This is about stabilizing the program before reaching for the stars.

Until you suit up, stop calling the Big East weak compared to the B1G East. The Big East compared favorably to other power conferences of the day. Outside of Ohio State, none of the other teams have been unbeatable since Rutgers joined the B1G. Sometimes the name on the front of the jersey consumes rational thinking. The Big East back then went out of the conference and regularly kick the *ss of some of the same teams you're hyping up.

Some of you don't understand where Rutgers is in the scheme of things for college football. Rock bottom is putting it kindly. Most qualified coaches worth their weight in gold won't consider Rutgers. The pool from which Rutgers has to choose is small, yet some of you keep believing all is well and Rutgers will be OK with another unknown driving the ship. Keep in mind, Rutgers isn't trying to spend the money it takes to hire a coach some of you are demanding.

Give me Greg Schiano.
16-19 in his last 5 years in BE conference play. That is the ONLY relevant record. 16-19 after the alleged breakout year of 2006. If he was only 16-19 in his last five years in a weak BE what evidence is there that he will do much better than Ash in the most powerful division in all of college football? His defenses struggled against Indiana at OSU and we are led to believe they will do better at Rutgers, please stop.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
That’s what I was saying .. the only person who would bring back the buzz that Greg would is Urban and urban isn’t coming so therefore ....

Give me Greg Schiano.

Yeah, let's just look at half his record.

What would Flood have done over 11 years? Or Ash? After all, only one win separates Ash's first 3 years from Schiano's first 3.

Stupid post. Probably stupid person.

All signs point to...

Ignore.

16-19 in his last 5 years in BE conference play. That is the ONLY relevant record. 16-19 after the alleged breakout year of 2006. If he was only 16-19 in his last five years in a weak BE what evidence is there that he will do much better than Ash in the most powerful division in all of college football? His defenses struggled against Indiana at OSU and we are led to believe they will do better at Rutgers, please stop.
Because building the program, giving it a face and an identity is the task... do you know anything about that?

Reactions: KT8813
I was a strong GS supporter during his RU tenure. Yes, he was a my way or the highway leader, but he delivered a solid product that brought an energy not seen before on the banks. I was in Texas for the first ever bowl win and it was an unforgettable experience.
I came off a cruise ship in Florida to first hear about him leaving for the Bucs.
I was crushed and stunned, but I did believe what he had built would continue now that we had made it. We all know what happened.
GS's style and guile is apparently what works in Jersey!
Can he rebuild the Titanic? Nobody can answer that with certainty, but it looks like nobody else can.

Because building the program, giving it a face and an identity is the task... do you know anything about that?

Wait...

So actually WINNING isn't the task?

But Greg said he would win Championships. He said that himself. Really. Look it up.

So did he lie?

Why would we hire someone who is a demonstrated, proven liar?

About Bowl games, Schiano coached and won more bowl games than any other Rutgers HC in history! It is also a misleading stat.

Rutgers followed the IVY League model of post season play and refused and turn down many invites to play in bowl games from the 30's to the early 70's. Only after student outcry in the mid 1970's did they finally get rid of this rule. Only to turn down yet another invite after their undefeated season! Only in 1978 did they accept an invite but that game was in New Jersey at Giants Stadium.

With no history of traveling to bowl games, bowl committees kept passing Rutgers by in the 1980's even when they had a winning record. It wasn't until we joined the Big East and the Big East got bowl affiliations that Rutgers even had a real chance to go bowling. Of course we happen to have one of the all time worst runs during this time! Then Schiano was hired and he got us bowling like a normal team after a handful of years.

This is the real reason why there are so few bowl games in our history despite playing longer than anyone else.

Reactions: Ascent
This version of GS will be different. But his brand is inescapably tied to RU. He may not have the energy he had, but we know he will bring the attitude and resolve so desperately needed. If he makes it work in the BIG, his legacy will be secure as an NJ legend. I want to go on a BIG road trip with GS as our general and actually have a chance to win the frigging game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT