ADVERTISEMENT

580 Transfers Still Without a Home

Some of these kids family members, friends and “handlers” owe many of these kids a huge apology for talking them into transferring.

Question is how many of these kids even had a scholarship in the first place, and are hoping to grab one in the portal.

There are 8 guys from the B1G left in the portal. 4 were walkons, and two others averaged fewer than 2 min/game.

Scholarship:
Darryl Morsell (Sr, Maryland): 883 min (also declared for NBA Draft - similar situation to Jacob Young)
Abdou Tsimbila (RS Fr, Penn State): 73 min (Juco, left after coaching change)
Kyle McCloskey (RS Jr, Penn State) : 32 min (originally a walkon, granted a 1 yr scholarship by Chambers last year - which may/may not be honored by the new staff)
Ibrahima Diallo (So, OSU): 10 min

Walkons:
Edgar Padilla (Fr, Illinois): 9 min
Daniel Lobach (RS Fr, Rutgers): 1 min
Jacquez Henderson (RS Sr, Indiana): 1 min
Connor Odom (Fr, Maryland): 0 min

Of the 583 players that I still see as having no home in the portal, 502 of them were rated 2* by Verbal Commits coming out of HS (and they don't have an "unrated" - 2 is their lowest).

I'd imagine that most of these players are seeing little-to-no playing time at their current school and are hoping to drop down a level to see the court - even if it means dropping out of Div-I (as 221 players have already done).

I'd imagine there will be another set of shuffling in a few weeks when the draft deadline hits, and we know which players will/won't be returning. With rosters mostly settling by the end of July, and a bunch of Division II/III teams picking up whoever is left without a chair.

There’s likely to be the same numbers issue everywhere though isn’t there? The kid averaging only 2 min a game in D1 leaves for more PT but do the available D2 teams want that kid more than what they already have recruited to come in. It’s even worse at that level in terms of available slots as everyone is likely to cash in on the 5th year. Few are going pro.

Some of the guys in the portal who hardly played were being run off.

Walk-ons really need their AAU and/or HS Coach to do some pre-portal work to find some D2, NAIA or JuCo schools that would be interested in them so that they could find a new home quickly.

Another note, too - 165 of the (now) 609 remaining players would have been out of eligibility without the waiver, so they're looking for a 5th (or 6th) year somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT