ADVERTISEMENT

$60 Million New Oklahoma State Ballpark

We don’t need a $100M facility...we need a $10M one lol!
Todd has a career salary of around $45 million. What % of that do you feel he should donate to Rutgers? Would you be willing to march the same % of your lifetime earnings?

Todd has a career salary of around $45 million. What % of that do you feel he should donate to Rutgers? Would you be willing to march the same % of your lifetime earnings?

Oh my god get lost with this bullshit. Just having some fun geeze! Also, the way Todd has been with his love for this university, and how he remains part of the athletic department, I honestly would not be surprised at all if he made a nice donation to help get done whatever we decide to get done.

Last edited:
I'd assume it would cost twice as much, so $120 million.

When it happens we’re not gonna be spending anywhere close to this kind of money on a baseball complex. As nice as that would be, it’s just not happening, is my guess. If we e spent 20 to 30,000,000 that would be absolutely stunning and 10 times better than what we currently have (is my guess).

What Oklahoma State is building will be the gym of all NCAA sports that aren’t college “football” or “basketball.”

Reactions: patk89
Oh my god get lost with this bullshit. Just having some fun geeze! Also, the way Todd has been with his love for this university, and how he remains part of the athletic department, I honestly would not be surprised at all if he made a nice donation to help get done whatever we decide to get done.
There is no doubt Todd will donate. He made a nice donation for the FH indoor facility.

T Boone Pickens donated an obscene amount of money to the athletic department. They can build whatever they feel like. We need guys like Bernie Marcus to donate but the university mishandled alumni relations for decades.

Reactions: Caliknight
We don’t need a $100M facility...we need a $10M one lol!
I agree $ 10-15 million over the next several years gets us the lights ( even though most prefer daylight) press box and seating with chair backs plus concession stands ( maybe 2-3) along the left and right sidelines. Don’t think we will need outfield bleachers . Don’t believe we couldn’t make an outfield picnic Grove a unique part of RU Baseball. And maybe a scoreboard with visual capabilities. Can use porta johns between the left n right foul poles. With all the successful building contractors in this area ( RU ties ? ) maybe several could throw in some free labor costs. We don’t require a double decked stadium which we could have certainly had going back in Somerset.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
T Boone Pickens donated an obscene amount of money to the athletic department. They can build whatever they feel like. We need guys like Bernie Marcus to donate but the university mishandled alumni relations for decades.

Never happen. He gives all his money to Emory in Atlanta IIRC.

Not really. His biggest donation was to the Georgia Aquarium with the rest heavily tilted towards the developmentally disabled ($25 mil to Autism Speaks).

Not really. His biggest donation was to the Georgia Aquarium with the rest heavily tilted towards the developmentally disabled ($25 mil to Autism Speaks).

I thought it was pretty obvious I was speaking about colleges, lol, but maybe not (and my RU alumni friends, who live in the greater Atlanta area, are the ones who have told me this in the past...).

Are there many schools that consistently draw crowds of 2000 or more to college baseball games? That facility looks like it would be suitable for most AAA minor league teams.

Are there many schools that consistently draw crowds of 2000 or more to college baseball games? That facility looks like it would be suitable for most AAA minor league teams.

In the South and Southwest there are. My very rough guess would be 30-40 teams average that or more.

We need guys like Bernie Marcus to donate but the university mishandled alumni relations for decades.
I'd love to hear what was mishandled with Marcus. Any details as that's the first time I've seen that claim regarding him?

I thought it was pretty obvious I was speaking about colleges, lol, but maybe not (and my RU alumni friends, who live in the greater Atlanta area, are the ones who have told me this in the past...).
Looks like he donated over $11M to Emory and $15M to Georgia Tech. Still waiting to hear what he's donated to his alma mater. It's odd that with a $5.9B net worth, and likely our wealthiest alum, he may not have given much or a significant donation to his alma mater, yet donated significantly to those schools, political campaigns, an aquarium, etc. It's his $ and he can spend it how he wants, but he should be called out for not donating to make Rutgers better. There are a ton of academic programs, scholarships, and infrastructure, to name a few items, that need his $ here, since he doesn't appear to donate to athletics.

I don’t think Bernie Marcus valued his Rutgers degree as much as many others. Not too long ago there was some other posts about his lack of contributing . He went to Rutgers Newark ? To be perfectly fair it is his money and his choice as others point out. There are thousands of Rutgers grads ( multiple degrees) who never contributed a dime. On the other hand we have had many non Rutgers grads who have donated millions to not only sports but academics as well. Out of 500k alums ( estimating) I don’t believe even half have ever sent in a check. If I’m betting on the future how many under the age of 40 will be donating . That will be he true test in the next 15-20 years.

I'd love to hear what was mishandled with Marcus. Any details as that's the first time I've seen that claim regarding him?

Looks like he donated over $11M to Emory and $15M to Georgia Tech. Still waiting to hear what he's donated to his alma mater. It's odd that with a $5.9B net worth, and likely our wealthiest alum, he may not have given much or a significant donation to his alma mater, yet donated significantly to those schools, political campaigns, an aquarium, etc. It's his $ and he can spend it how he wants, but he should be called out for not donating to make Rutgers better. There are a ton of academic programs, scholarships, and infrastructure, to name a few items, that need his $ here, since he doesn't appear to donate to athletics.

I don't think there was anything specific mishandled with respect to Marcus, but until the last decade or so the RU Development Office was (how should I say it?) substandard. Both Georgia Tech and Emory had first class Development Offices when Home Depot was incorporated in 1978.

He is based, and has been living in the Atlanta area for a while, as it is the Home Depot HQ. So It's not like he picked those institutions out of a hat. And he gave more to the Atlanta Aquarium (helped found it) and to disability related charities, autism in particular, than either of those schools.

I don't think there was anything specific mishandled with respect to Marcus, but until the last decade or so the RU Development Office was (how should I say it?) substandard. Both Georgia Tech and Emory had first class Development Offices when Home Depot was incorporated in 1978.

He is based, and has been living in the Atlanta area for a while, as it is the Home Depot HQ. So It's not like he picked those institutions out of a hat. And he gave more to the Atlanta Aquarium (helped found it) and to disability related charities, autism in particular, than either of those schools.

Not sure what where he is “based” or his philanthropic endeavors have to do with his alma mater. HE IS WORTH BILLIONS LOL!

Reactions: Leonard23
Not sure what where he is “based” or his philanthropic endeavors have to do with his alma mater. HE IS WORTH BILLIONS LOL!
And he's made the Giving Pledge. If the RU Development Office is smart, they will gradually begin courting him if they haven't already. If you're looking for a quick couple of mil for a baseball field forget it (unless he played baseball for RU) . But it could be beneficial in the long run. A medical tie-in would probably be their best chance.

And he's made the Giving Pledge. If the RU Development Office is smart, they will gradually begin courting him if they haven't already. If you're looking for a quick couple of mil for a baseball field forget it (unless he played baseball for RU) . But it could be beneficial in the long run. A medical tie-in would probably be their best chance.
Those are just weak excuses. I know the development office was substandard for a while and is much improved now, but it shouldn't take begging and courting. You don't think they reached out numerous times over the decades? He should have enough pride in his alma mater and want to make it better by donating. There are plenty of good academic programs, department chair or other endowments, buildings, and scholarships that need his help.

I know the development office was substandard for a while

For a while? Try forever until the last 20-25 years. UNC, Michigan, UVA were the major leagues of public universities since the 40s and 50s when it came to Development Offices and RU was the equivalent of the rookie league. Hell, Lawrenceville could have taught them a few things.

It's not a simple as "You're alum, give"

For a while? Try forever until the last 20-25 years. UNC, Michigan, UVA were the major leagues of public universities since the 40s and 50s when it came to Development Offices and RU was the equivalent of the rookie league. Hell, Lawrenceville could have taught them a few things.

It's not a simple as "You're alum, give"
Yes, forever. If you're looking for reasons not to give then absolutely blame the development office for a billionaire alum not donating but that's misguided.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT