ADVERTISEMENT

8-24 Missouri lands nations #1 recruit

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
Missouri who finished 8-24 with only 2 conference wins this year just landed a verbal from the nations top ranked player ! He was previously committed to Washington.

Oh and Missouri hired his dad as an asst coach.

Let's keep an eye on them and see how quickly one player turns them around.

"Missouri hired his dad" is why he's there.
Was going to Washington when Romar was the HC there and was hiring Michael Porter Sr. as an assistant coach.
Porter Sr was an assistant for the Missouri WBB program and the previous Missouri MBB HC (Anderson) tried to get him to switch to the men's side.
Once Romar was let go Cuonzo Martin the new Missouri MBB HC brought the Dad aboard and the son followed.
Seems like to get Junior ., everyone knew they needed to hire Senior.:eek:

Missouri who finished 8-24 with only 2 conference wins this year just landed a verbal from the nations top ranked player ! He was previously committed to Washington.

Another one an done recruit.Does the father keep his coaching job after the son leaves for the NBA?

Reactions: RUskoolie
Romar and Michael Porter Sr. were very close, I believe Romar might even be Jr's god father. Given the connection the Porter's already had to Missouri, I honestly don't lump this into the typical hiring dad to land a recruit scenario that we often see.

That being said Washington was awful last season too, so either pay we would see what 1 top one and done guy could do, but if Washington is an example it didn't work so well for them last season.

Not sure if anyone cares if he does or doesn't. For the dad he gets to be paid to see his son everyday and gets a top job on his "coaching resume"
He's actually a legit coach. Plus he has a son named Jontay who is also pretty good. He's a 2018 kid who might reclass to 2017.

I think there should be an NCAA rule against hiring a parent of a recruit as an assistant coach. It's unseemly and possibly actually corrupt. If the parent is such a good coach, he should have no problem finding a job at a different school. And the whole one and done thing, where a kid like Ben Simmons admits he could care less about attending class and getting an education, is pathetic. The NBA should let kids go direct to the pros like baseball and set up viable minor league system to train the ones who are not ready to jump to the top immediately. Instead the NBA off-loads the cost of running the minor league system to colleges and in the process the NBA saves a boatload of money.

I think there should be an NCAA rule against hiring a parent of a recruit as an assistant coach. It's unseemly and possibly actually corrupt. If the parent is such a good coach, he should have no problem finding a job at a different school. And the whole one and done thing, where a kid like Ben Simmons admits he could care less about attending class and getting an education, is pathetic. The NBA should let kids go direct to the pros like baseball and set up viable minor league system to train the ones who are not ready to jump to the top immediately. Instead the NBA off-loads the cost of running the minor league system to colleges and in the process the NBA saves a boatload of money.
But where do you draw the line?

• Can't hire the parent of a recruit
  • Can't hire any relative of a recruit
  • Can't hire the HS Coach of a recruit
  • Can't hire the AAU Coach of a recruit
  • Can't hire the trainer of a recruit
  • Can't hire anyone at all who happens to know the recruit

Michael Porter, Sr. is a legit college basketball coach. He was the Operations Director for the Missouri WBB team for three years, then was an assistant for that program for three years before being hired by Lorenzo Romar as an assistant. Porter, Sr. had a job offer from another P5 school to be an assistant coach. Btw, he had known Romar since the early 1990's when Romar was coaching Athletes In Action. Porter toured with AIA for five years and even lived with Romar, this was before he met his wife and had eight kids.

I do agree that the NBA should follow the MLB model and change their rule regarding American HS basketball players. Allow them to enter the draft out of HS or, if they choose college, they are not eligible for the draft until after completing their junior season.

Players could choose to go from HS to play overseas, but that is becoming a more difficult path to the NBA. Heck, go to a prep school until you turn 19 and then enter the draft. A Thon Maker did that and was a lottery pick.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I dont question he is a legit coach. I have no knowledge whether he would have been hired for this particular job independent of his kid. To me it just raises the appearance of quid pro quo - hire the dad to get the kid. I think it would just be better for NCAA to adopt rule preventing this. There may be situations where this may be unfair but the application of any general type of rule sometimes leads to unfairness. I think it is for the greater good to not allow this situation.

"Missouri hired his dad" is why he's there.
Was going to Washington when Romar was the HC there and was hiring Michael Porter Sr. as an assistant coach.
Porter Sr was an assistant for the Missouri WBB program and the previous Missouri MBB HC (Anderson) tried to get him to switch to the men's side.
Once Romar was let go Cuonzo Martin the new Missouri MBB HC brought the Dad aboard and the son followed.
Seems like to get Junior ., everyone knew they needed to hire Senior.:eek:
And this is how schools get around the problem of finding a drop site for a bagman to deliver the cash to a player--legally hire the father at a nice salary, and Voila!--money has been laundered/delivered in plain sight.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
And this is how schools get around the problem of finding a drop site for a bagman to deliver the cash to a player--legally hire the father at a nice salary, and Voila!--money has been laundered/delivered in plain sight.
they are really paying the kid for going there under the guise of hiring his old man

I dont question he is a legit coach. I have no knowledge whether he would have been hired for this particular job independent of his kid. To me it just raises the appearance of quid pro quo - hire the dad to get the kid. I think it would just be better for NCAA to adopt rule preventing this. There may be situations where this may be unfair but the application of any general type of rule sometimes leads to unfairness. I think it is for the greater good to not allow this situation.
This is a good discussion, and I sincerely hope you don't think I'm picking at you.

In Porter, Sr's case he has eight kids and they all play hoops. If such a rule existed, a man who paid his dues and is an experienced coach could not pursue a NCAA job for a long time. His oldest kid plays for Missouri's WBB team...I think she's a junior...I think his youngest kid is in the seventh grade. That is a long time that he would not be able to coach at the NCAA level.

If a young coach has a kid who grows up to become a good basketball player and wants to attend the college where his dad is the coach, he could not attend that school? So much for Scott and Bryce Drew playing at Valpariaso for dad.

What if one of the Rutgers assistants has a kid that, three years from now say, turns out to be a Top 100 prospect. He can't come and play at Rutgers?

If a coach is qualified for a job but is prevented from being hired because he has a kid who is a prospective student-athlete (PSA) that just sounds like a lawsuit. I'm no lawyer though.

There are quid pro quo's in recruiting all the time. Whether it's hiring someone associated with the PSA, or shoe affiliation, or the kid's HS coach played at a particular school (for example: Collin Sexton's HS Coach went to Alabama and Sexton signed with Alabama).

Recruiting is a dark murky thing sometimes.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
That's definitely one way to look at it, and I have been waiting for someone to point that out. But, as I said in another post, what do you do if the coach is already on the staff and his kid grows up to be a good player. That kid is automatically blocked from attending the school where his father works? Dad is supposed to resign or coach at the school for free?

Btw, Rutgers assistant Brandin Knight has a son. I don't know how old he is or if he plays hoops or if he's D1 caliber talent if he does play hoops. If he does play hoops and is good and is in HS, ya'll cool with him not coming to Rutgers simply because his dad is an assistant?

King Rice has a son who plays for St Anthony's. The kid has a chance to be a P5 player.

Does that mean he becomes a more desirable coaching candidate to some school ?

I don't think so.

The Porter kid grew up in Columbia Missouri and IMO that factored in here.

Cuonzo Martin is an excellent coach and he's never done anything shady.

If he fires the kids father after he goes pro I'll change my mind but until then I view this as good fortune for Mizzou and something that just makes sense.

You have to be in it to win it. That's just how the game is played in this day and time .

I think you can devise a rule that makes sense. Like if an assistant has been on the staff for a few years, then it is okay for him to continue coaching on the staff if his kid joins the team. But we all know the situations that raise red flags - the guy is hired somewhat contemporaneously with the recruitment of the kid.

I think you can devise a rule that makes sense. Like if an assistant has been on the staff for a few years, then it is okay for him to continue coaching on the staff if his kid joins the team. But we all know the situations that raise red flags - the guy is hired somewhat contemporaneously with the recruitment of the kid.
If a parent is randomly hired who is inexperienced I hate that because a worthy candidate is passed over. But for guys who pay their dues & work their way up I don't think there should be any restrictions. That seems un-American

Good point. Without rules, schools feel compelled to do stuff like this in order to keep up cause "everyone does it". So, effectively, the Louisville and Rick Pitinos of the world set the standard.

Now that his father works for the University, do his children get a free or reduced tuition? That would free up more funds for another player. $$$$

Now that his father works for the University, do his children get a free or reduced tuition? That would free up more funds for another player. $$$$
At some state schools the children of a university employee are not charged tuition.

I just read new NCAA rules don't allow hiring a relative within the period of two years before and two years after the kid is on the team. Must be some loophole here. Isn't there always?

All schools do stuff like this. What about giving a top recruit's brother a scholarship also to get him to come to your school?

Missouri also got Harris from Washington as apparently Porter helped land Harris. I think they might have added another good player within the last day or two as well. If so Missouri just might turn their team around quickly.

Well with the new rules, that can't happen anymore
that's what I thought I read in the new rules that came out yesterday as well. I then went back and re-read them and it doesn't apply if the relative is an actual coach....see below
"
Also part of the new legislation are strict rules that mirror what is used in college basketball for individuals associated with prospects, or IAWP. The IAWP rules are designed to prevent schools from hiring anyone associated with a prospect for noncoaching positions.

For example, the high school coach of a prospect is not allowed to take a paid or volunteer job as an analyst or strength coach at the college recruiting that coach's prospect. An IAWP is permitted to take a job at the same college only as a full-time, on-field coach."

Also, happily they crushed Harbaughs off campus camps. See below
It also requires camps to take place on campus or at facilities used primarily for practice or competition by member schools.

"This rule is effective immediately and essentially ends the lengthy, nationwide satellite camp tours like Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh's Summer Swarm Tour that became a hotly debated topic in college football the past two summers. However, the new legislation does allow for recruiting conversations to take place at camps and clinics, a change to prior rules."
Full story here: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...overhauling-college-football-recruiting-rules

that's what I thought I read in the new rules that came out yesterday as well. I then went back and re-read them and it doesn't apply if the relative is an actual coach....see below
"
Also part of the new legislation are strict rules that mirror what is used in college basketball for individuals associated with prospects, or IAWP. The IAWP rules are designed to prevent schools from hiring anyone associated with a prospect for noncoaching positions.

For example, the high school coach of a prospect is not allowed to take a paid or volunteer job as an analyst or strength coach at the college recruiting that coach's prospect. An IAWP is permitted to take a job at the same college only as a full-time, on-field coach."

Also, happily they crushed Harbaughs off campus camps. See below
It also requires camps to take place on campus or at facilities used primarily for practice or competition by member schools.

"This rule is effective immediately and essentially ends the lengthy, nationwide satellite camp tours like Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh's Summer Swarm Tour that became a hotly debated topic in college football the past two summers. However, the new legislation does allow for recruiting conversations to take place at camps and clinics, a change to prior rules."
Full story here: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...overhauling-college-football-recruiting-rules
Yes good for Harbaugh

Reactions: Scarlet Haze

Missouri should be able to hire the fire. But, the son should be banned from playing for the Tigers for the first year (a redshirt).
This might discourage top level talent from going to schools who will hire their mothers as strength / conditioning coaches, when
their dreams are 1 and done.

MO

That's definitely one way to look at it, and I have been waiting for someone to point that out. But, as I said in another post, what do you do if the coach is already on the staff and his kid grows up to be a good player. That kid is automatically blocked from attending the school where his father works? Dad is supposed to resign or coach at the school for free?

Btw, Rutgers assistant Brandin Knight has a son. I don't know how old he is or if he plays hoops or if he's D1 caliber talent if he does play hoops. If he does play hoops and is good and is in HS, ya'll cool with him not coming to Rutgers simply because his dad is an assistant?
Definitely not. If someone is previously employed, that shouldn't be a bar to a kid playing at the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT