ADVERTISEMENT

8 Team College Playoff Model being discussed

@RossDellenger
Ross Dellenger Retweeted Brett McMurphy

A Power 5 AD in New York this week said a specific 8-team playoff model is circulating around the CFB world that would incorporate bowls, including a bowl-sponsored national championship game.
The model:
- 5 auto bids for P5 champs
- 2 at-large
- 1 Group of 5

--------------
Two more years of a 4 team playoff (after this year) so if there is money in expanding the playoffs, then it will certainly occur. Personally, I'd rather have a 6 team playoff with the 5 P5 conference winners getting in with one Group of 5 team making it (particularly because it F's Notre Dame). Top two seeds get a first round bye. Only adds two more games.

Your 6 team playoff idea is interesting, primarily in that it would force ND to join a conference. In that case, if it decided to join the ACC with which it already has its special "arrangement," the ACC would need to add an additional team or have a completely unbalanced pair of divisions. So who would the ACC select? UConn? Temple? UCF? Cincy?

The B12 might be interested in wooing ND, which would likely set up the same situation. 11 teams just doesn't cut it, especially since ND would probably want to play just 8 conference games. What would the B12 do? They could try to raid the ACC (FSU or Clemson seem to be the most likely targets). Or they could revisit the BYU issue. In any event, ND to the B12 would leave that conference with the two biggest spoiled, entitled children in the FBS (the other being TX). Watching those two try to coexist could become "must see TV."

The final possibility would be ND finally agreeing to move into the B1G, which would likely stimulate the B1G to go to 16. The most likely candidates IMHO would be Kansas, UVa, or UNC, all of whom are AAU institutions.

I’d hope the first round would be at the higher seed’s school. It’s good for fan travel attendance and atmosphere... may finally see warm weather teams (SEC specifically) travel to cold weather destinations and also possibly play in the elements.

That makes for good tv still.

That has possibilities but then how are the bowls included?

The reason this takes renewed urgency is Alabama got shut out of the playoffs this year lol.

There is actually no urgency this year. Four teams is the right amount. Who wants to see #5 who just lost by 4TDs to another playoff team get in?

I agree the highest G5 needs to be in it. As for top-15 champs, no, it should be all P5 champs no matter what. The conference championship games become the first round of the playoffs, the winner gets to represent the conference in the national playoff. 2 other At larges is enough, and it can be from any conference (this year would be Baylor and Georgia, Oregon and probably Alabama)

Reactions: NickRU714
I agree the highest G5 needs to be in it. As for top-15 champs, no, it should be all P5 champs no matter what. The conference championship games become the first round of the playoffs, the winner gets to represent the conference in the national playoff. 2 other At larges is enough, and it can be from any conference (this year would be Baylor and Georgia, Oregon and probably Alabama)

I love the hypocrisy.

"We only want the best teams - conference champ must be Top-15!!"

"Wait, multiple top teams happen to be in the same conference? No we can't have that. Let's take a worse team just because they are in a different area of the country."

I love the hypocrisy.

"We only want the best teams - conference champ must be Top-15!!"

"Wait, multiple top teams happen to be in the same conference? No we can't have that. Let's take a worse team just because they are in a different area of the country."
At 4 it pretty much has to be about only the best teams in the country. At 8 it's still about the best teams but not exclusively.....then it's also about inclusion, variety, upsets, cinderella, atmoshpere (weather) .....all things that make sports fun and exciting. Also at 8 it's not as if you're letting in every tom dick and harry....it will still be 8 teams with a legitimate shot at making noise and possibly winning the whole thing.

Also the farther you get away from the top.....who the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th best etc...gets a lot more blurry so allowing the best representative from each P5 and a high enough rated G5 in doesn't really horde in on that too much even if not perfectly aligned with the 8 best teams in the country which already gets a little murky as you go down the list.

Besides look at the NFL...do only the best teams get into the playoffs...yes the best ones do but not only the best and the best don't always win the superbowl. An 8-8/9-7 team can get into the playoff by winning a weaker division while a 10-6/11-5 team could get left out by being 2nd in a stronger division. Wildcards also win the whole thing..I know my former favorite team the Raiders did, the Giants did twice recently including beating a 16-0 (18-0) Patriots team who was the best in the NFL.

So this setup wouldn't be much different philosophically than the NFL playoffs and no one really has much of a problem with that setup.

@RossDellenger
Ross Dellenger Retweeted Brett McMurphy

A Power 5 AD in New York this week said a specific 8-team playoff model is circulating around the CFB world that would incorporate bowls, including a bowl-sponsored national championship game.
The model:
- 5 auto bids for P5 champs
- 2 at-large
- 1 Group of 5

--------------
Two more years of a 4 team playoff (after this year) so if there is money in expanding the playoffs, then it will certainly occur. Personally, I'd rather have a 6 team playoff with the 5 P5 conference winners getting in with one Group of 5 team making it (particularly because it F's Notre Dame). Top two seeds get a first round bye. Only adds two more games.
Exactly what I have been proposing for years.....it's as perfect as a model as can be.....given the current framework

Many talking openly talking about it now....Sankey the SEC commish willing but probably the only one not as eager as the others....well duh haha. 2026 seems to be the earliest realistic target because of contractual issues. Plenty of time to hash out the details though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT