ADVERTISEMENT

99 Years Ago Today in Rutgers Football History

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
“Among the four undergraduates who will be initiated into Phi Beta Kappa at the 50th anniversary of the Rutgers College Chapter of February 22 is Paul L. Robeson, All American football player and star athlete of the local college…. He was also a member of the varsity debating team. Robeson will graduate in June with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and will study law,” according to the February 18, 1919 Daily Home News.

“Among the four undergraduates who will be initiated into Phi Beta Kappa at the 50th anniversary of the Rutgers College Chapter of February 22 is Paul L. Robeson, All American football player and star athlete of the local college…. He was also a member of the varsity debating team. Robeson will graduate in June with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and will study law,” according to the February 18, 1919 Daily Home News.
I think that I posted this before. The Baseball Coach at South Side HS(Shabazz) ,Ben Leon circa 1938-40,pitched for RU and Paul Robeson caught.

I think that I posted this before. The Baseball Coach at South Side HS(Shabazz) ,Ben Leon circa 1938-40,pitched for RU and Paul Robeson caught.

When Paul Robeson moved on to Columbia for his law degree, the baseball coach asked him if he would be a part time assistant coach. Robeson would catch in practice and even taught one player how to hold his curve ball. The player played first, outfield and pitched.

His name was Lou Gehrig.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT