ADVERTISEMENT

A 2nd NCAA Tournament??!!

RUcrazee

Senior
Jan 23, 2020
NCAA just approved a second NCAA tournament for teams that miss out on the big dance. This 2nd NCAA tourney will be in addition to the (W)NIT.

Could start as soon as next season, '23-24. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Knight Shift
At first I thought this post was trolling but I read up on it. It’s true but not exactly how it’s worded..

What this actually is, is the creation of an official womens NIT - the NCAA owns and operated the mens NIT, but the current “WNIT” is owned by a private company - a gender equality firm did a study and said the NCAA must provide equal opportunity to both the men and womens teams, so that’s why they are creating their own 32-team WNIT, so they pay for and support the same number of teams in the postseason on both mens and womens sides.

Sadly, what this probably means is the current “WNIT” goes bankrupt in a few years if not right away. They are a private company and would basically be relegated to now not even the next 32 teams out, but the ones after that (the CBI basically, on the mens side).

So basically, all this is doing is taking the womens NIT and bringing it under the NCAA banner - which will probably be a good thing because it will hopefully mean more money to the schools, and potentially a TV deal as well for the tournament.

Here is the link

At first I thought this post was trolling but I read up on it. It’s true but not exactly how it’s worded..

What this actually is, is the creation of an official womens NIT - the NCAA owns and operated the mens NIT, but the current “WNIT” is owned by a private company - a gender equality firm did a study and said the NCAA must provide equal opportunity to both the men and womens teams, so that’s why they are creating their own 32-team WNIT, so they pay for and support the same number of teams in the postseason on both mens and womens sides.

Sadly, what this probably means is the current “WNIT” goes bankrupt in a few years if not right away. They are a private company and would basically be relegated to now not even the next 32 teams out, but the ones after that (the CBI basically, on the mens side).

So basically, all this is doing is taking the womens NIT and bringing it under the NCAA banner - which will probably be a good thing because it will hopefully mean more money to the schools, and potentially a TV deal as well for the tournament.

Here is the link
C'mon Dave! Me, ....trolling......??? Never have, Never will. I would have thought you'd know me by now😇 A bball fan and critic but never a troller. 🙂

Thanks for providing the details. I actually saw it going across the bottom of the screen on one of the sports channels.

Reactions: ScarletDave

Here is the link
The current WNIT was a 64 team field, featuring a guaranteed team from every conference, the team not in the NCAA's with the best record IIRC. To me there is no way there is enough teams to fill 2 WNIT's under any name. Incidentally, there is a women's CBI - the WBI. An 8 team 3 round tourney currently being played at a single location to almost no fans. Won by St. Mary's last year. All mid-majors.

I haven't read anything, but not hopeful on a TV deal. Streaming - maybe. The current WNIT final is televised. I don't know about finances. The company running the current contest gave games to the best bid (Arizona hosted all 6 games the year they won) and clinched the deal by throwing in not only the ticket sales guarantee but the concession money as well. But not sure the NCAA rewards women's programs very well in the Big Dance, never mind what they will do in a 32 team field.

Reactions: MADHAT1
So the NCAA has to lose money for "equality"
Nobody "has" to do anything The NCAA made this decision of its own volition. I have no idea how it will do financially. If a private company could make it work financially, I assume the NCAA can.

ADVERTISEMENT