ADVERTISEMENT

A balanced OTB article, (IMO), about the team/Indiana game...

What MSU game outcome makes you more optimistic about next season:

RU 10-7 win with Gio at the helm or

RU 30-25 loss with Lewis

I would argue a stud wr gets more excited about a strong arm qb that can stretch the defense with arm and legs.

This is all about winning but I rather win the long game versus the short game.

GO RU

Ash better put the full court press on that Grad Transfer WR from Appalachian State.

I think that was a great piece. I agree with Aaron's assessment 100%. There's a lot of talk of this game and EMU as the missed chances. Personally, I include Nebraska as well. I think had Gio played instead of Bolin, we may have won that game as well. We were in it till the last pick. Win EMU and Nebraska, this team would already be bowl eligible. Who wouldn't have signed up for the season we have had so far if offered this last January, or this August even?
Hopefully this week Lewis gets a lot of reps in practice and a lot of playing time. The final week should be all about developing the young guys on the team, from him on down.
So who do you want Gio or Lewis? Or just whoever is not starting?

In my honest opinion, we are what we are with Gio or Bolin. One passes better one opens up the run game but we really have had no offense all season. We are not going to be a sling it all over the field team if you listen to the staff. We are going to run and pass a little and play good D and special teams like almost everyone else in the BIG. I think Gio May be able to do the job next year but if Lewis makes strides it is probably his job. I’ll root for whoever is on the field. No coulda woulda shoulda. We are what we are just like last year when we lost our last 8 games. We could have won a couple of more of those close games but we didn’t. We took a step forward this year and need another one next year.

This is a really really really well balanced and thought-out thread. People are debating and making very, v valid points without being thoroughly obnoxious. I won't mention names.

In my honest opinion, we are what we are with Gio or Bolin. One passes better one opens up the run game but we really have had no offense all season. We are not going to be a sling it all over the field team if you listen to the staff. We are going to run and pass a little and play good D and special teams like almost everyone else in the BIG. I think Gio May be able to do the job next year but if Lewis makes strides it is probably his job. I’ll root for whoever is on the field. No coulda woulda shoulda. We are what we are just like last year when we lost our last 8 games. We could have won a couple of more of those close games but we didn’t. We took a step forward this year and need another one next year.

The issue is between all 3 QBs we would have one serviceable QB

Bolin has the Experience and Accuracy
Gio has the Grit and Ball Protection
Lewis has the Size, Arm Strength, and Mobility

I think we need Lewis to get some more game experience this week. Give him a drive or two when the game is still in question and let him get playing time. Gio has one year left, so he's not the answer. Truth be told, I think what you see is what you get with him at this point anyway. I love his heart and passion, but he's never going to be Mike Vick or even Mike Teel for that matter.
For what it's worth, I think Lewis has improved as the season has progressed. I know, he hasn't been in much. With what we did see, though, I think his ability to read defenses, find the open target and deliver have improved from the Morgan State game to the Indiana game, the only two games we saw him with extensive playing time. Still not there, but definitely better.
We'll see how it works out, I guess, but in my mind, those two guys are it at QB next year. I don't think we can expect the 2018 QB's to be difference makers next fall. They're more like that little red fire extinguisher in apartment kitchens. You hope it works really well, but pray never to have to use it.

Without the threat of a downfield pass, I say start the guy who has won despite lack of WR speed. If and when MSU builds a 2-score lead, go to the bullpen. Stay in the present while it's still significant. Next year can wait.

Seriously? Off the top of my head outside of two plays - the punt return for TD against Washington & that punt return against Nebraska, the special teams have improved drastically (and every team allows a big play or two on special teams). Okruch isn't going anywhere. Rutgers has the best kickoff coverage in the B1G. The best punt coverage in the B1G. Middle of the pack on punt returns, and near the back on kickoff returns. http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/fb-confldrs.html
Grab your stopwatch, bring it to the Michigan State game and see how much hang time Anderson affords the coverage team. He's exceptional. This is why punt coverage is so good. Why are we only middle of the pack on punt returns when we have one of the nation's most electric punt returners playing half the games? Because our ST coordinator allows opposing punters enough time to take the snap, break out a protein bar, slowly chew and digest it before punting the damn ball.

I think we need Lewis to get some more game experience this week. Give him a drive or two when the game is still in question and let him get playing time. Gio has one year left, so he's not the answer. Truth be told, I think what you see is what you get with him at this point anyway. I love his heart and passion, but he's never going to be Mike Vick or even Mike Teel for that matter.
For what it's worth, I think Lewis has improved as the season has progressed. I know, he hasn't been in much. With what we did see, though, I think his ability to read defenses, find the open target and deliver have improved from the Morgan State game to the Indiana game, the only two games we saw him with extensive playing time. Still not there, but definitely better.
We'll see how it works out, I guess, but in my mind, those two guys are it at QB next year. I don't think we can expect the 2018 QB's to be difference makers next fall. They're more like that little red fire extinguisher in apartment kitchens. You hope it works really well, but pray never to have to use it.
Lewis looks the part for sure. He fits the mold of what we want to do and it’s better to have 2 guys than one. Gio played hurt and I think Lewis may have gotten more time in those games because he also was hurt. Gio is not a passing machine but made some very nice throws. Lewis has a cannon and can open the game up just by throwing some long passes to Melton who can flat out run. He has work to do on his overall game but I’m excited to see how he progresses.

In fairness to Bolin and Gio for that matter our OL seems to run block well but pass blocking is a struggle. I also want to point out that Indiana and EMU ran a lot of stunts on run downs that we struggled to handle. We did better blocking the big boys than we did blocking the smaller stunting DL’s. That’s a taste of our own medicine from 2006. Undersized but active and we have teams fits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT