ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts from Coral Gables

KnightTerrors

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2015
My father and I flew down for the game and boy are we happy we did!

First, the Miami campus is gorgeous. Had a chance to walk around for a few hours before the game. We were in RU gear and the people/students were extremely welcoming. If I had gone to school there, I would have skipped every class for the pools.

As for the game, I was shocked by turnout. Miami is a perrenial contender and tournament team. The arena was probably around 50% full and had no juice at all. Was also pleasantly surprised by the RU turnout. Must’ve been over 50 of us in the building. Their arena is very modern and beautiful but I’d take the RAC over it any day. Felt a little cookie cutter without character. People complain about the RAC needing an update but I think the opposite.

As for the game, extremely well coached. I sat second row behind the scorers table and was able to hear both coaches a lot. There was a clear mismatch with Geo and Lykes. Pike exploited this early on and to geos credit, he didn’t miss. 6’4” point guard is too tall of an order for Lykes at 5’7”. Larranaga was forced to sit lykes which was the first huge advantage for us in the chess match.

Similarly, with about 12 mins left, pikiell took out Doorson and geo and put in McConnell and Duke. Larranaga immediately pounded the ball inside and their center got two quick buckets.

As a lifelong Rutgers fan, I would be lying if I told you I wasn’t waiting for the shoe to drop and us find a way to lose this close game. Times have finally changed. They pulled out the gutsy win against a legit ACC team on the road!

Aside from Geo, who I think all would agree shined, I was probably most impressed by Doorson. He doesn’t really show up in the stat sheet but he was terrific defensively and on the boards. This Miami big was a monster and all of our other bigs were having major problems with him. When Doorson was in, there weren’t the second chance opportunities and the kid was held in check. He’s quietly become a very solid contributor.

Lastly, the EO three. I still can’t wrap my head around how good of a shooter he’s become. That hit to put us up 5 was the dagger after we squandered several opportunities to put them away. Only fitting that it was him.

Post game the RU fans gathered and I was able to celebrate/meet Quincy Douby and Pikiells family. Really awesome experience.

Flying home tomorrow and will be in our seats by 5:30. See you there!

My father and I flew down for the game and boy are we happy we did!

First, the Miami campus is gorgeous. Had a chance to walk around for a few hours before the game. We were in RU gear and the people/students were extremely welcoming. If I had gone to school there, I would have skipped every class for the pools.

As for the game, I was shocked by turnout. Miami is a perrenial contender and tournament team. The arena was probably around 50% full and had no juice at all. Was also pleasantly surprised by the RU turnout. Must’ve been over 50 of us in the building. Their arena is very modern and beautiful but I’d take the RAC over it any day. Felt a little cookie cutter without character. People complain about the RAC needing an update but I think the opposite.

As for the game, extremely well coached. I sat second row behind the scorers table and was able to hear both coaches a lot. There was a clear mismatch with Geo and Lykes. Pike exploited this early on and to geos credit, he didn’t miss. 6’4” point guard is too tall of an order for Lykes at 5’7”. Larranaga was forced to sit lykes which was the first huge advantage for us in the chess match.

Similarly, with about 12 mins left, pikiell took out Doorson and geo and put in McConnell and Duke. Larranaga immediately pounded the ball inside and their center got two quick buckets.

As a lifelong Rutgers fan, I would be lying if I told you I wasn’t waiting for the shoe to drop and us find a way to lose this close game. Times have finally changed. They pulled out the gutsy win against a legit ACC team on the road!

Aside from Geo, who I think all would agree shined, I was probably most impressed by Doorson. He doesn’t really show up in the stat sheet but he was terrific defensively and on the boards. This Miami big was a monster and all of our other bigs were having major problems with him. When Doorson was in, there weren’t the second chance opportunities and the kid was held in check. He’s quietly become a very solid contributor.

Lastly, the EO three. I still can’t wrap my head around how good of a shooter he’s become. That hit to put us up 5 was the dagger after we squandered several opportunities to put them away. Only fitting that it was him.

Post game the RU fans gathered and I was able to celebrate/meet Quincy Douby and Pikiells family. Really awesome experience.

Flying home tomorrow and will be in our seats by 5:30. See you there!
Great post. I just started a thread about Shaquille basically saying the same thing and I thought he was the unsung hero of the game . Hope you enjoyed your nice victorious trip and looking forward to the RAC tomorrow night.

The fans will be ready tomorrow night...i am guessing about 700 to 1K Michigan State fans will be guests and spread out in the upper sections but 530 may be about the right time to get into seats Friday....with Friday traffic and rush hour, i would get on campus and parked way ahead of normal.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Hawk excellent analysis, I think there are a lot of games where Doorson is an unsung hero, his defensive efficiency is really something. The kid has come a long way since stepping on campus 5 years ago. His body has done a complete 180 & that is a true testament to his dedication & work in both the season & offseason. He will not wow you with any low post moves but his ability to defend, rebound & protect the rim is where he brings value to this program.

As far as the turnout, not overly shocked as it is Miami, that is just not a sports town due to the other activities that go on. I agree they should be well attended given their talent level & caliber of team, but just does not happen in all sports down there.

As for the game, nailed it spot on. Was worried when Douc came in & they started getting easy looks inside that it was going to slip but it did not. What a great game plan & staff we have. Jay Young is an outstanding defensive coach & this was the first time all year in the short season we saw a similar defense to what we played last season. Thought Kiss had a very good defensive game, anticipated several passes to either get the steal or cause the turnover.

Cannot wait to be in that building Friday & have it rocking.

Reactions: BillyC80
Thanks for posting OP. You chose one of the best road games and I’m jealous. Nothing like winning on the road as a fan and flying home happy. Thank you for mentioning Doorsan because watching on TV with no sound at Buffalo Wild Wings it was hard to see all the things your mentioning? Maybe sound wasn’t necessary to see the big man but it’s tough to really see all that you see when your courtside and bodies are banging. I also can’t believe how EO changed his jump shop and now hits the 3 ball?

I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t a Doorsan fan until late last season when he earned a starting spot. I think he improved the most of anyone who played 4 years here at Rutgers from being completely raw and out of shape as a freshman to now looking like a big 10 athletic center. That’s the result of his commitment and the coaches we have.

We are very fortunate to have this entire staff in place.

Love the RAC comments and cringe at the RAC bashers and why I am petrified of any new arena talk and messing with 118.

New Yankee Stadium and MetLife are awful. The Trenton arena while perfectly functional is a snooze fest and all the charm of an air conditioning duct... like Met Life. i fear 118 is now doomed to become home plate in new Yankee Stadium.

Must find away to increase the RAC's capacity and keep its character. Northwestern did a nice job.

Yes, its a really nice campus, but was amazed at all of the ongoing construction. I got a Masters from Miami a while back, so parked early afternoon and checked out additions to the music school and the rest of the campus. Parking was very easy. Paid $8 for day pass in the Pavia lot on the ground floor, so could go in and out of the car all day..rooted for Rutgers of course, being from New Brunswick, and having gone to the games since i was 6..was also suprised by lack of enthusiasm of Miami Fans..liked their Pep Band’s version of Stevie’s “Another Star”..agree that RAC (and the Barn before that) has enthusiasm matched by very few arenas around the country..will be there tomorrow night..

Love the RAC comments and cringe at the RAC bashers and why I am petrified of any new arena talk and messing with 118.

New Yankee Stadium and MetLife are awful. The Trenton arena while perfectly functional is a snooze fest and all the charm of an air conditioning duct... like Met Life. i fear 118 is now doomed to become home plate in new Yankee Stadium.

Must find away to increase the RAC's capacity and keep its character. Northwestern did a nice job.
I agree about Met Life 100%; it’s a disaster but I disagree completely about yankee stadium. I absolutely love it.

On the RAC, I just don’t know. I’m pretty sure we could do much better and I wouldn’t mind a state of the art building to match the new practice center. If there’s a way to update the RAC, make it bigger, facelift on the outside, more of a bowl shape, more comfortable seats and amenities, I’m for it. But the thought of building from scratch in the exact location with a big sponsor is intriguing. Nebraska has a beautiful arena. Not a bad model for us.

Their arena is very modern and beautiful but I’d take the RAC over it any day. Felt a little cookie cutter without character. People complain about the RAC needing an update but I think the opposite.

u there!

Funny when they first built it they were still in the big East with us . Was talking before it opened to one of their student broadcasters and he was saying within the athletic department there was thought it could be like a more modern RAC; smaller capacity, loud and a big advantage.

Went down following year and ran in to him and he was relaying to me how nice it looks but how disappointed alot were in it. Built it to be able to hold other events and lost all the noise and home court advantage potential .

The RAC was originally suppose to be 10K, but due to cost over runs it was slashed to current configuration. Blow out the lobby and add seats and you have yourself a nice arena. I remember a story about the steepness of our seats, it make the acoustics extra loud. I believe that if it was built today they could not build it at the same steepness due to code.

that if it was built today they could not build it at the same steepness due to code.
Have to wonder if any attempt at changing things could some how blow away the grandfathering and make the whole damn place fit any codes of today.
As far as changing it and still trying to keep what is so great about it, this would take an architect who has vision and artistic ability. Probably would cost more too and that is always a guaranteed no deal it seems at Rutgers.

I agree about Met Life 100%; it’s a disaster but I disagree completely about yankee stadium. I absolutely love it.

On the RAC, I just don’t know. I’m pretty sure we could do much better and I wouldn’t mind a state of the art building to match the new practice center. If there’s a way to update the RAC, make it bigger, facelift on the outside, more of a bowl shape, more comfortable seats and amenities, I’m for it. But the thought of building from scratch in the exact location with a big sponsor is intriguing. Nebraska has a beautiful arena. Not a bad model for us.
Lets sell it out first on a consistent basis before making it bigger.

I was there in person last night, you get a better perspective than on tv... and a guy who really impressed me was Ron Harper Jr. I’m looking forward to 4 great years with him.

I think the same thing every time I watch him. Based on the reports from practice I except his shooting to come along too.

I was there in person last night, you get a better perspective than on tv... and a guy who really impressed me was Ron Harper Jr. I’m looking forward to 4 great years with him.

We were there as well. I havent attended an RU MBB game since 2015 but was a season ticket holder for many years at the RAC. Liked the Watsco Center a lot. Believe it was built around 2003.

We really held the scoring down from Lykes and the other guard Vasiljevic who shot a combined 4-19 from the field. Very impressed with our defense, size and athleticism. We are a very deep team compared to years past.

I also like Harper and was impressed with Peter Kiss as well. He is a tough kid and lot more than just a jump shooter.

As the game ended it was great to see the RU faithful in red cheering on the players and the coaches behind the bench.

Also got to meet one of Geo’s AAU coaches from NH at the game. Impressive guy and could tell that they have a great relationship.

Best night I’ve had watching live RU BB in a very long time. Chose a good away game to see.

Last edited:
In talking to my friend who lives down there and went to the U, it seems like there's a lot of caution and negative energy around the program with the FBI investigation and one of their top guys being suspended because of it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Agreed with UM’s stadium sentiment. I was surprised how empty it was as well. I sat around a couple RU fans so that was nice. The concessions weren’t impressive either lol. Should be home for the Columbia game. Any chance the RAC gets a good turnout fir that game?

Never really got people's obsessions with stadiums. I'm there to see the game so as long as the view is fine I couldn't care less

Reactions: Unionst

They better have. Renovating the arena cost NW $110 million.

So glad Shaw didn't listen to a bunch of folk here who thought he was a transfer option to open a ship. Guy has worked and worked and shown improvement. Could see it last year. Now he is healthy. Good for him !!!

Player development. And they said it couldn't be done lol.

first.. thanks to the OP well said.

I also like the RAC and it can be expanded and keep the character.

Been saying for years.. put up external columns and a cantilever roof over the whole thing... take out the columns inside and you can do wrap-around seating.. add escalators to top level in time. You could even blow out the walls to make a larger more functional concourse.

The key is the roof. The current walls and columns hold up the current roof. Replace that with an external structure and you can do whatever else you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Friend of 112
first.. thanks to the OP well said.

I also like the RAC and it can be expanded and keep the character.

Been saying for years.. put up external columns and a cantilever roof over the whole thing... take out the columns inside and you can do wrap-around seating.. add escalators to top level in time. You could even blow out the walls to make a larger more functional concourse.

The key is the roof. The current walls and columns hold up the current roof. Replace that with an external structure and you can do whatever else you want.
It sounds like some of that might affect the acoustics

It sounds like some of that might affect the acoustics
Exactly. You can. It do anything that affects the roof line. It’s the configuration that makes its so loud. I agree that the concourses should be made bigger. How about a couple more bathrooms.

My only suggestion, get of the mistake of section 118. The handicapped section needs to be moved. Where, I don’t know. Put bleachers that mirror the current student section and make it a second student section. Bring back the old days when the frats sat behind the bench.

Exactly. You can. It do anything that affects the roof line. It’s the configuration that makes its so loud. I agree that the concourses should be made bigger. How about a couple more bathrooms.

My only suggestion, get of the mistake of section 118. The handicapped section needs to be moved. Where, I don’t know. Put bleachers that mirror the current student section and make it a second student section. Bring back the old days when the frats sat behind the bench.
The only problem with making the 118 section another student section is the first one is seldom full except for a few games.

Reactions: kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT