ADVERTISEMENT

A football related post in May!

Do you want to have a Rutgers Home game in Yankee stadium?

• Yes great Idea I have NOT been there but good PR for RU

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yes great Idea I have been there & it will be good PR for RU

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Yes, venuse sucks, but it is the cost of being in the B1G

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • No bad Idea, never been there for a FB game and never will

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • No bad Idea, I HAVE been there for a FB game and never will go back

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • No not from Home game, but I will bit the bullit for the B1G and a bowl game

Votes: 19 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

imbazza2

Junior
Jul 9, 2009
As a post on this matter of Playing a Home Rutgers football game on Yankee's field, someone said no one want it. then some banter back and forth.... so please vote so we can resolve our stance on this.

Yes great Idea I have been there & it will be good PR for RU

Where does this notion of "For the B1G" come from?
The Big ten conference has to my knowledge never asked any member to host a game anywhere other than where that member wants to host it. The Big Ten also prides itself on the equality of membership.
There is no reason whatsoever to think that would change. Ever.

The Big ten conference has to my knowledge never asked any member to host a game anywhere other than where that member wants to host it. The Big Ten also prides itself on the equality of membership.

Rutgers got into the B1G on what our sports record?
No we got in on our TV eyeballs. That said we have many here who think playing a football game in the Bronx will boost our viewership. It can not hurt, but it will not sway any New Yorkers to even have them turn their head.
"The Big Ten also prides itself on the equality of membership."<< Yea the Maryland deal vs. ours?
We both got in for different reasons and got paid on a different scale. we each have a different job. OURS is to deliver NY-Megalopolis even if it takes years (which it will)

I would say only with 6 real home games, sell it separate from season tickets in a year with 7 home games. And I have not been there.

Which part are you saying won't ever change? The equality of membership or asking BIG teams host games at neutral venues?

I prefer playing on campus but do not mind a NYC road trip if it happens. Hopefully it is an OOC game and not a marquis matchup unless is is a Home/Away series with MD in Baltimore or DC.

Please move this thread to the RoundTable
Nah, just move it to the CE board because eventually someone will find a political reason why Rutgers is thinking about having a home game at Yankee Stadium.

Which part are you saying won't ever change? The equality of membership or asking BIG teams host games at neutral venues?
Both. But the topic is about asking teams to change venues. The conference simply does not do that and there is no reason to believe that they would.

The entire topic is ludicrous. Quotes attributed to the BTN president about the attractiveness of Yankee Stadium were from before the BTN discovered how great HPSS is as a venue for big games. Once they saw how raucous an environment we have (especially for night games), they have gone out of their way to replicate that.

Nothing says 'Rutgers Football" like a hike to the Bronx.

Me? I cannot get enough of the GWB or mass transit. Its like ordering pie and getting it ala mode as a surprise.

Why should I want to take advantage of my donations to get into the lot of my choice and have an afternoon tailgate in a (somewhat) grassy area when I can pay more in tolls and fees to sit through traffic on the turnpike and GWB to line up for a spot in some parking deck in the Bronx?

Last edited:
Both. But the topic is about asking teams to change venues. The conference simply does not do that and there is no reason to believe that they would.

The entire topic is ludicrous. Quotes attributed to the BTN president about the attractiveness of Yankee Stadium were from before the BTN discovered how great HPSS is as a venue for big games. Once they saw how raucous an environment we have (especially for night games), they have gone out of their way to replicate that.
Gotcha.

Looks like i Called it correctly with the MD match up. Hopefully we get a return game from them at Camden Yards or DC.

Nothing says 'Rutgers Football" like a hike to the Bronx.

Me? I cannot get enough of the GWB or mass transit. Its like ordering pie and getting it ala mode as a surprise.

Why should I want to take advantage of my donations to get into the lot of my choice and have an afternoon tailgate in a (somewhat) grassy area when I can pay more in tolls and fees to sit through traffic on the turnpike and GWB to line up for a spot in some parking deck in the Bronx?

as college football becomes more popular in nyc, I want kids growing up there to have a sense of who the home team is . With the B1G poised to be either the best or one of the two best leagues in the country, Rutgers is being handed the opportunity to own the growing nyc football market. You have to take this opportunity and work it, but without alienating your core fan base. We have a very nice game day setting and its something we should value a lot more.

solutions:

a) one citi/yankee/metlife/philly appearance a year on a rotating venue basis. It could be a cool tradition where we have a mini bowl game type week for the fans. If you cant make the bowl travel, this is a good secondary trip.

b) just have this neutral game on years when we have 5 B1G home games and 4 away.

Nah, just move it to the CE board because eventually someone will find a political reason why Rutgers is thinking about having a home game at Yankee Stadium.
RU will have Condi Rice throw out the first pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT