ADVERTISEMENT

A Letter from Pat Hobbs

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Got this via e-mail

Dear Rutgers faithful:

When I arrived at Rutgers three years ago our Athletics Department was facing many challenges. Our programs, with notable exceptions, were struggling to be competitive. No significant investment had been made in facilities in decades. Fundraising needed a boost and morale was low.

Our football program, despite some early success in the Big Ten, was heading in the wrong direction. Recruiting was not at the level it needed to be. The practice fields, weight room and locker room were all in need of an upgrade. There was an ongoing NCAA investigation that would later result in sanctions and probation. Despite these challenges, Chris Ash wanted to be the Head Coach of the Scarlet Knights.

We knew this process would require hard work, patience and investment. Success would not happen overnight. We would have to recruit special young men dedicated to the challenge. We are in the Big Ten East, the toughest division of any conference in the country. Every year we go up against the most storied programs in the history of college football. Our goal is to turn our football program into one that is bowl eligible every year, that graduates young men of high character and that is a source of pride to the Rutgers community and our State. That remains our goal.

Over the course of the season, I have heard from alumni, donors and fans who expressed their frustration with the results on game day. Those calls came in loud and clear. Many were quite colorful. This was a disappointing football season for all of us - Coach Ash, myself, our athletes, our students, and you our loyal supporters. We had a goal and failed to achieve it.

Nevertheless, I remain extremely optimistic about the future of Rutgers Athletics, next year and beyond. You should be too.

Just look at what we’ve accomplished together in the past three years. We’ve built strength and conditioning facilities at the Hale Center and the RAC. We opened a new baseball and softball practice facility. The Marco Battaglia Football Practice Complex is the best in the nation. In July, we will open the RWJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center that will house our basketball, wrestling and gymnastics programs. In the spring, we will break ground on the Gary and Barbara Rodkin Academic Success Center and in August, start our celebration of the 150th anniversary of college football with the grand opening of the Brown Family Football Locker Room. These are long overdue investments that will pay dividends for many years to come.

Our football program has a solid core of young talent returning in 2019. Thirty of our first or second year student-athletes saw action for the first time and we return 18 players who have started. This provides a strong nucleus to build around as Coach Ash and his staff hit the recruiting trail this off season. We will recruit student athletes who love to play football, who excel in the classroom and who want to represent the State University of New Jersey.

Continuity is the key to accomplishing our goals. No one said this would be easy or straight uphill. There are many examples of programs and coaches who in the process of building experienced disappointment in year three. The critics will continue to say it can’t be done. They won’t deter us from our task.

There is something else you should know. Whether it’s football, basketball or any of our other programs, success is also dependent on you. Your continued support is essential. In good times and bad we need you. We’re Scarlet Knights. We don’t quit and we don’t flinch in the face of adversity. That’s Rutgers and that’s Jersey. From the season ticket holder who has been with us for over 30 years, to the young kids who welcome our team each week at the Scarlet Walk, to the alum who just pledged ten dollars to the Big Ten Build, your loyalty is appreciated and respected. It inspires me, Coach Ash and our entire Rutgers Athletics team to work hard every day to bring you the success you deserve.

Let’s go Rutgers nation! Shoulder to shoulder, we have work to do!

GO RU!

Patrick E. Hobbs
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
Rutgers University

Well written piece. He did a good job of acknowledging the issues and addressing them in a positive way. He also was right to mention that it begins with the donors. People who think Hobbs is not feeling the pressure are crazy. This proves he is.

The best thing for the program now is for those who are still angry Ash has been retained to keep the negativity to themselves, at least until after recruiting season. Ash will have his work cut out for him to bring in a respectable class. The better he recruits, the happier we will all be. At the end of the day, we all want the same thing.

Wow. Where to begin? My favorite line - "Chris Ash wanted to be the Head Coach of the Scarlet Knights."
I want to be King of the World. Unfortunately, I don't qualify.

I guess Ash has you beat in that regard. He got what he wanted.

The thrust of the message is correct I think. It is a good, positive summation of where the school is, and what needs to be done to get where we all want it to go.

I guess Ash has you beat in that regard. He got what he wanted.

The thrust of the message is correct I think. It is a good, positive summation of where the school is, and what needs to be done to get where we all want it to go.
I am guardedly postive, but a lot of doubts and questions creeping in.
One would think with all of the major facilities improvements (practice fields, weight room, upcoming locker room and other stuff), recruiting should be trending up, not down. Yeah, 1-11 is the elephant in the recruiting room, but someone needs to sell ice to Eskimos.

Yep, just got this also. It's a good letter and not much more could've been said given the results. At least he acknowledged the results sucked and that fans are likely unhappy, but he tried his best to convince us that better facilities and more time for Coach Ash will bring about the results we want. What else would anyone expect him to say?

I'm very skeptical we see the improvements we'd all like to see next year, but at this point, all I can do is cheer the team on and hope they overachieve next year - and IMO that is most dependent on Ash somehow finding us a real QB. That is, by far, his most important mission this offseason.

Pretty much had to do something like this as I think Hobbs realizes the thousands of season ticket holders that will be lost (and may never return).

I’m sure his inbox was flooded with emails and big donors were in his hear these past few months, so it’s basically a plea to keep people on board for 1 more year.

Unfortunately results are what matter and at the end of the day I highly doubt Chris Ash and his loser mentality will turn HIS sinking ship around.

The comment about Ash “wanting” to be here is just odd. Like there’s no one else qualified that would have taken it for what he’s getting paid....

H
One would think with all of the major facilities improvements (practice fields, weight room, upcoming locker room and other stuff), recruiting should be trending up, not down. Yeah, 1-11 is the elephant in the recruiting room, but someone needs to sell ice to Eskimos.
The 2004 class was ranked #49. Of the 21 kids signed only 4 saw the field plus Ito. Teel and Zuttah were 3 stars and Girault was a 2 star. Cam Stephenson was a Juco who played DT for a year and then switched to OL. That was year 4 for Schiano mind you. The natives were restless on Exit 109. We just have more natives now.

Outside of the 1-11 record our recruiting is my biggest issue. I know Hobbs likely can’t comment on recruiting/ specific recruits in general and while the statement was well-crafted, it comes across as a bunch of empty platitudes in terms of Ash improving the program. As you said, with all of this building, why is recruiting going so poorly? Why did we struggle to recruit last year even with the ‘improvements’? Why is our offense almost completely inept after 3 years? Why did Ash stick with a QB clearly not ready for prime time when he had a well-respected senior who could have at least managed games better? Why are our peer schools much more competitive in much quicker time frames without all the extracurricular activity (credit card fraud, etc)?

Joe P.

Yep, just got this also. It's a good letter and not much more could've been said given the results. At least he acknowledged the results sucked and that fans are likely unhappy, but he tried his best to convince us that better facilities and more time for Coach Ash will bring about the results we want. What else would anyone expect him to say?

I'm very skeptical we see the improvements we'd all like to see next year, but at this point, all I can do is cheer the team on and hope they overachieve next year - and IMO that is most dependent on Ash somehow finding us a real QB. That is, by far, his most important mission this offseason.

Not much else he could say regarding keeping Ash. Would probably be better to explain more why he hired Ash then "here's a guy who was still willing to take the Rutgers job."

With that said, would have liked to see some kind of an action statement or promise here. Here's something we're going to do to get this on track. Here's something we're throwing to the fans. Here's one thing we weren't doing before that we think can help.

Our goal is to turn our football program into one that is bowl eligible every year, that graduates young men of high character and that is a source of pride to the Rutgers community and our State.

Talk about setting the bar low. I guess he doesn't want to even be a top 25 programs let alone compete for championship. I guess he will be happy with 6-6 record and going to the no one cares bowl.

Hobbs is worried. Doesn't sound confident in his decision and understands that he lost a ton of donor/alum support via his inaction.
Sounds like Mulcahey did when he kept Schiano, expanded the stadium, built the Hale Center. I think Hobbe used the same form letter.

Our goal is to turn our football program into one that is bowl eligible every year, that graduates young men of high character and that is a source of pride to the Rutgers community and our State.

Talk about setting the bar low. I guess he doesn't want to even be a top 25 programs let alone compete for championship. I guess he will be happy with 6-6 record and going to the no one cares bowl.

They're 1-11. 7 wins in last 36 games. Getting to bowls every year sounds pretty good to most, including me. Do that for half a decade and then worry about the next set of goals.

#spinithobbs

Didn't realize Kansas and buffalo are in the B1G east division. And personnel decisions and team prep and game day coaching were influenced by all the poor investment and facilities.

Hi. I'm coach Ash. I want to be here to tell you how f upd and worthless all your stuff is here.

I get the letter. He had to. But that doesn't make it all true. I'm done with the blind faith.

I got an idea. How bout a letter from Ash?!

Last edited:
Sadly, he is spot on. This is when donors/boosters are needed the most.

To me, it all gets back to recruiting with Ash. Ash has a lot of warts as a coach, that could possibly get covered up with talent. But he isn't really getting any, so it all gets compounded.

Pat's got a hard sell given this, not to mention financial constraints. Things our peers aren't up a wall fighting against.

Any talk of national championships after going 1-11 is a joke and would be perceived as such. He isn't stupid. Mentioning that would get him killed.

As others have wished, good luck, Pat. The program is going to need a healthy dose of it.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
"Your continued support is essential. In good times and bad we need you. We’re Scarlet Knights. We don’t quit and we don’t" ----I only wish the complainers on this board followed this

Reactions: RUforester72
After reading that letter, I think Hobbs needs to be shown the door before Ash. Did he not watch our offense this year? Does he not pay attention to recruiting? Does he not realize that Ash has the personality of a tree stump? How can he recruit with all that?

I am reading it and almost all of the positives are NOT related to Chris Ash. Ash's positives were, he took 10 ,illion because he really wanted to coach here and his 1st and 2nd year players got a lot of playing time. Not sure if that means they are good or just better then the rest of the team but they went1-11 and looked pretty bad. We may not have had so many younger players play so much if Ash wasn't so steadfast in trying to prove that everything and everyone on this team before him sucks.
anyway- 1-11 in year three...It is hard to lipstick it but he did as best as he can with this letter.

I'd love to get a look at the "many examples" of coaches who went 1-11 in year 3 and turned it around. Disappointing seasons are one thing, this was a train wreck.
With Cutcliffe/Macintyre their overall records better but conference records pretty much the same..the Kansas/Buffalo losses the difference maker there.

But someone posted here that Cutcliffe's offenses were improving statistically after the first year. Macintyre's great 4th season looks to be a flash in the pan and maybe a little help from DC Leavitt (who left to Oregon) as his 5th and 6th seasons looked just as terrible as the first 3 in conference.

So really Cutcliffe is the only one I can think of....are you more likely to see that or Hazell/Beaty. I have an opinion but I guess we're going to just have to let it play out. If he does make a bowl next year by some chance or in the 5th year if he's here for that I hope they don't do a Macintyre/Mike London type extension off short term results though.

Sadly, he is spot on. This is when donors/boosters are needed the most.

To me, it all gets back to recruiting with Ash. Ash has a lot of warts as a coach, that could possibly get covered up with talent. But he isn't really getting any, so it all gets compounded.

Pat's got a hard sell given this, not to mention financial constraints. Things our peers aren't up a wall fighting against.

Any talk of national championships after going 1-11 is a joke and would be perceived as such. He isn't stupid. Mentioning that would get him killed.

As others have wished, good luck, Pat. The program is going to need a healthy dose of it.

hard to donate and spend money on a product you do not believe in. For the people who do not believe in Ash being the head of this program, why should they buy tix and donate if they think he is the wrong guy and will never get it done?

hard to donate and spend money on a product you do not believe in. For the people who do not believe in Ash being the head of this program, why should they buy tix and donate if they think he is the wrong guy and will never get it done?

It's about building for the next coach to me. You want the next coach to step into as good of a situation as possible.

[pfftt]

ever heard of crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run?

We were freaking 1-11 this year.

We need to get back to going to bowl games every year again FIRST, before we can then set our goals higher and become a top 25 team, etc.

what self serving dumb posts from those wanting their scalps--hobb's is right on--the letter was meant to explain his dissatisfaction and the hope that ,might I say , loyal fans,stick by the school--what was he supposed to say--give up --the decision was made, Ash is here for 2019--it serves no purpose other than to bitch--get on board or get off the train

ADVERTISEMENT