ADVERTISEMENT

A Letter from Pat Hobbs

what happens if RU loses to Umass in that first game...what then? Potentially 0-7 before Liberty....would a move be made before that in game 4 or 5...how could it not

and before anyone says why be so negative, even the more negative here were saying Buffalo and Kansas were likely wins this year
Bac- you and I are rarely on the same page and you know I am usually one of the biggest koolaide drinkers ever. But I agree 100%

Pat Hobbs has a tough assignment, given the departure of a reasonable number of season ticket holders and their donations.

That said, the letter seemed to focus on what he had done with funding facilities and not setting reach goals for Coach Ash.

In the corporate world, successful leaders set high reaching goals. If you fall a bit short, then you are still doing fine and need to set the next tier of goals to move forward even higher.

Pat needs to publicly set a lofty goal for Coach Ash...say find a way to get 7 wins next year...and settle for 6 wins for bowl eligible.

You can see from lesser college football programs that are successful with smaller players, the head coach is obviously creating offensive/defensive game plans that fit their situation to beat bigger/better teams....see teams like UCF.

The job of any coach is to recruit, teach, and coach the players to play their best in each and every game, regardless of the facilities and their 1-5 Star status. All football fields are the same dimensions.

Bottom line for an AD is to set high success goals for the Head Coach and the Head Coach needs to deliver results or be replaced.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Due respect, I think this statement is more true of the SEC than the B1G. One of the things that makes the B1G appealing to its members and constituents is the fact that athletics is strong across the board, in all sports.

Agreed calling it a football conference may have been overboard...but...the reason the conference is where its at is because of football and taking a basketball first strategy would not be smart imo.

then people should stash their money away for the next coach so we can land a winner that people can be confident in, why waste it now on a lost season or two even

Because it puts more money in the department, thus allowing them to hire a more expensive coach, keep building facilities, and all the things that are needed to close the gap. We are more than a good coach away from truly competing.

All hell would break loose.

This is the point where the argument ceases to be "it can't be done" and becomes "we choose not to do it." It is also the point where the fault shifts from the alumni and donors (who funded the endowment) to the administration, who chooses not to wisely use it on building a top-tier football program.

Our goal is to turn our football program into one that is bowl eligible every year, that graduates young men of high character and that is a source of pride to the Rutgers community and our State.

Talk about setting the bar low. I guess he doesn't want to even be a top 25 programs let alone compete for championship. I guess he will be happy with 6-6 record and going to the no one cares bowl.

Which is essentially what we did under Schiano save for the #12 ranked finish. Ok, 7-5 not 6-6. But we played in bowl games no one cared about.

I’m a fan of Hobbs, and I think Ash will turn out to be a solid coach for RU. Football will be more enjoyable when the fan herd thins a little, and the people who are left realize this is a college sport. I’m not of fan of spending checks that can’t be cashed for the sake of random change, which is all you are going to get for what RU can pay now.

Reactions: Knight Shift
People -- at least NIRH and I -- wanted a forum like a press conference in which Hobbs would have to answer questions about his continued support for Ash. A statement like this is basically "don't give up the ship!" without explaining why he retained Ash.
Kratch should ask his 14 questions.

I’m a fan of Hobbs, and I think Ash will turn out to be a solid coach for RU. Football will be more enjoyable when the fan herd thins a little, and the people who are left realize this is a college sport. I’m not of fan of spending checks that can’t be cashed for the sake of random change, which is all you are going to get for what RU can pay now.
Bold position. I like your candor.

I'm going to go ahead and say 1-11 with a crushing loss to Kansas, the worst P5 QB performance anyone has ever seen and something like 3 yards passing vs MD, in a year when the coach was talking about a bowl game is a train wreck.
Ok then....not much more to say here thanks

Our goal is to turn our football program into one that is bowl eligible every year, that graduates young men of high character and that is a source of pride to the Rutgers community and our State.

Talk about setting the bar low. I guess he doesn't want to even be a top 25 programs let alone compete for championship. I guess he will be happy with 6-6 record and going to the no one cares bowl.

Joe knew boys were being raped.

Reactions: RU Cheese
It's a big sh-it sandwich and were not getting out of it unless everyone takes a bite.

So maybe not stop supporting the program this year? Seem Pat got the message and is doing what he thinks is right.

Best thing to do is support them for another year. No?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Which is essentially what we did under Schiano save for the #12 ranked finish. Ok, 7-5 not 6-6. But we played in bowl games no one cared about.

I cared about them. Some of the best Rutgers times I've had has been on Bowl trips with old friends, meeting new friends (and @RU4Real LOL) and hanging out with old guys who used to play. Even shitty bowl games are a blast.

People -- at least NIRH and I -- wanted a forum like a press conference in which Hobbs would have to answer questions about his continued support for Ash. A statement like this is basically "don't give up the ship!" without explaining why he retained Ash.

A “forum”? Lol okay!!

Reactions: RUonBrain
I cared about them. Some of the best Rutgers times I've had has been on Bowl trips with old friends, meeting new friends (and @RU4Real LOL) and hanging out with old guys who used to play. Even shitty bowl games are a blast.

Admit it, it was one of the best nights of your life.

I mean, the tranny alone made the trip worthwhile.

I will “ban bet” you that Ash never wins more than 3 games again while the head coach at Rutgers.

Like I said in the other thread I am glad he said something.

What really ticked me off, only one other person mentioned this, was the basketball facility comment.

What does the basketball facility have to do with losing to Buffalo and Kansas?

I think Hobbs does not grasp that Rutgers is primarily a football school. We want every sport to succeed but football drives the bus.

He is not going to get away with a shift of resources and mentality for much longer.

I think he might have been talking about the sad shape of the stadium bathrooms...albeit a step up from the troughs

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Please, let's keep it real. You have been an Ash supporter since day one, don't be embarrassed, be proud, stand up and scream from the top of your lungs, "I still believe in you Chris Ash and your 6 year rebuilding plan!"

I love the fact that now we are going thru the phase where all the Ash supporters are starting their statements in defense of Ash with the phrase, "I am not an Ash supporter, but . . . ." Give it a month and if you happen to post anything that can even be perceived as negative about Ash you will be shouted down as a troll. It is the yearly cycle this board goes through when we have a lousy HC, as consistent as Old Faithful. By June most of these posters will be arguing that we can win 7/8 games next year because Ash is now in charge of the defense. Then we will play UMass and reality will hit them in the face and we will start the cycle all over again.

I am on record as saying I do not think we will win 4 games next year and that he will be fired. Jackass. I am merely one who gets sick of ad nauseum bitching of grown men who behave like entitled children.

People whose goal is to spread constant negativity have no use. Whining about things they cannot change all day long. That is why people shout them down. Not because we don't get it. At least the people who are overly positive help give the program a good image. People like you are nothing more than a detriment.

He will not stoop that low but he could stoop as low as uconn..im still hoping for him here in 2020 after a full year of behind the scenes wooing
All you did was bitch about him when he was here. And I’m a fan of his. I wonder why you follow Rutgers as you’re so negative. AAC...that’s what you want now?

If Hobbs and Barchi we’re committed they should put their money where there mouth is. Announce the next $100 million effort for facilities with the last $25 million coming from the University.

The school is already partially funding the facility expansion. The costs will be more than the $100M.

3 serious questions that I don't k,ow but wonder about.

1) was the penalty from ncaa that damaging it required the auto extend and Couldn't it have been written into. Contract based on severity? Water under the bridge I know.

2) what if the penalty was 4 years. Would ash have gotten 9?

3) what major football investments did cuse, Pitt, and bc make or did the right coaches get them from craps to top 25?

Last edited:
If Hobbs and Barchi we’re committed they should put their money where there mouth is. Announce the next $100 million effort for facilities with the last $25 million coming from the University.

The school is already partially funding the facility expansion. The costs will be more than the $100M.
I know that and you know that. The average Joe has no clue. Leaders spin good news when all you got is shitty news.

What's your point? All of those schools have much deeper pockets than we do.

You guys really need to understand something very fundamental, here. If you want to play with the big boys, you've got to pay with the big boys. Unless you're into the program for at least $10k a year, you're a bystander. That's what big-time football is all about.

At Ben Hill Griffin every single seat carries a contribution value and the cheapest seat in the house is $380 for the season. We've got vacancies in the Audi Club - they have a sold out premium section 4 times as large that goes for $16,000 per.

Here, we have an entire message board full of people who don't give a dime, who never attend a game, all insisting that we fire our current guy and go $10 mil in the hole on a new guy.

With whose money?

The point was to refute the idea that such a move would be "something no other school would do - not even the blue bloods". That's just not true.

As to Rutgers, and "with whose money?".... How much did this move really save? About $2.3M dollars, if we end up letting Ash go after next year. If you're trying to save the $10M, you're expecting this to be a commitment to the full contract term - which is crazy if the same level of performance continues.

The delta in overall football revenue between this year and next year will be much more than $2.3M, so keeping him on is going to be a net negative anyway. It's chasing sunk costs. The money to Ash is already committed - the decision is whether we want to pay more money and increase our revenue, or pay no more money and decrease our revenue. Hobbs chose to stick with "his guy", and we'll likely lose more money than we'll be saving by keeping Ash around another year.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The point was to refute the idea that such a move would be "something no other school would do - not even the blue bloods". That's just not true.

As to Rutgers, and "with whose money?".... How much did this move really save? About $2.3M dollars, if we end up letting Ash go after next year. If you're trying to save the $10M, you're expecting this to be a commitment to the full contract term - which is crazy if the same level of performance continues.

The delta in overall football revenue between this year and next year will be much more than $2.3M, so keeping him on is going to be a net negative anyway. It's chasing sunk costs. The money to Ash is already committed - the decision is whether we want to pay more money and increase our revenue, or pay no more money and decrease our revenue. Hobbs chose to stick with "his guy", and we'll likely lose more money than we'll be saving by keeping Ash around another year.

because Hobbs is crossing his fingers that he does not have to fire him next year even though its 75% likely he does have to.

I am on record as saying I do not think we will win 4 games next year and that he will be fired. Jackass. I am merely one who gets sick of ad nauseum bitching of grown men who behave like entitled children.

People whose goal is to spread constant negativity have no use. Whining about things they cannot change all day long. That is why people shout them down. Not because we don't get it. At least the people who are overly positive help give the program a good image. People like you are nothing more than a detriment.

This guy is drinking the koolaid! Are u a payroll troll?

Generally fine with the letter as it’s important to communicate, convey positives, request funding support, etc.

Biggest problem I have are his statements regarding where program / AD was 3 years ago. Regardless of those points’ merit, it’s bad form / leadership to be pointing blame at others. Those problems are why he has the damn job, not to use as an excuse three years later.

So you will be happy when there are less RU fans? Like Rutgers can afford to lose any fans.

And you want people to realize it's a college sport. What does that mean?

It is hard to take any poster's statements serious when he reverts to childish name calling. You are an Internet tough guy, I get it. You can try and "shout" me down, you can try and bully me, call me names, ain't going to work. I will continue to post on this site and I will not be dragged down to your level. The best thing for you to do is put me on ignore if you are unable to have an intelligent adult conversation.

Sorry, but good recruits do not want to hear we are going to strive to be bowl eligible every year. That means 6 wins turn the trick. They want to play for the division and conference and if an AD is telling them so-so is OK then I don't see them coming here.

ADVERTISEMENT