ADVERTISEMENT

A Letter from Pat Hobbs

How much are revenues down since Hobbs picked Ash?

How much are revenues down (after taking Big Ten money into consideration) since Barchi told Pernetti he has to keep Flood?

Reactions: Steve91562
It's also worth pointing out that while the number of season ticket seats is down, the number of individual season ticket accounts is up slightly.
that is a weird stat....could be scalpers, could be opposing team fans, what else would account for this

that is a weird stat....could be scalpers, could be opposing team fans, what else would account for this

The number of account holders has increased but the average number of seats per account holder has decreased.

It's a natural evolution as the core fan base ages and newer fans don't have a need for as many tickets.

In 31 years, I've gone from 2 to 4 to 6 to 2. You have kids. They grow up and move away. You don't need as many tickets. I know many other people who have gone through the same thing.

There's one other very important point that needs to be recalled, re: attendance. During the Schiano years when we were putting up spectacular attendance numbers, a lot of those tickets were giveaways.

There's one other very important point that needs to be recalled, re: attendance. During the Schiano years when we were putting up spectacular attendance numbers, a lot of those tickets were giveaways.
That's why ticket revenue is a more telling stat. Presumably the Athletic Department knows what portions of revenue changes are due to price, volume, and mix.

Reactions: Wolv RU
When did Barchi tell Pernetti that he had to keep Flood?
Am I conflating Pernetti being told he could not fire Rice with him failing to hire Cristobal (due to budget or whatever) and that's how I got to Barchi saying no to a new football coach?

Re-thinking it.. with winning a share of the conference title, maybe Pernetti had his hands tied with moving on Flood.. and he got forced out over the Rice thing.. a sacrificial.. er.. underling.

But I think Hobbs not being able to fire Ash (which is on both Hobbs and Barchi).. I think that means that Pernetti would not have been able to fire Flood. Hermann did not get to fire Flood. I think that comes from Barchi regarding budget dollars.

Now that I think about it more.. is it all on Rutgers legal counsel?

They signed off on Ash's contract. They told Barchi that there wasn't enough to fire Rice for cause. Legal counsel also must have signed off on the Ash contract and not protected Rutgers interests.

Am I conflating Pernetti being told he could not fire Rice with him failing to hire Cristobal (due to budget or whatever) and that's how I got to Barchi saying no to a new football coach?

Yes, there was never a time when Pernetti would have been asking to fire Flood. Schiano left in late January 2012, and after a brief courtship with Cristobal, promoted Flood to the head coaching position. At the time, it was commonly believed that since Rutgers was having its best recruiting class ever, and the coaching carousel was already over (Schiano left at the worst time possible), Flood would be most likely to keep the recruiting class intact. The first season, Flood went 9-4 and I think most people believed the team had overachieved. Rutgers was invited to the Big 10 during the season in November. Pernetti was fired in that next football off-season (April 2013).

They signed off on Ash's contract. They told Barchi that there wasn't enough to fire Rice for cause.

There's a good reason why this happened ... because there wasn't actually enough to fire Rice for cause. Not even close.

Legal counsel also must have signed off on the Ash contract and not protected Rutgers interests.

Legal counsel writes up the contract that the AD negotiates. As a lawyer, you can author the most air-tight contract ever written, but if the client (your boss) overrides you, or tells you to remove portions, or to change specific language, it doesn't matter.

There's a good reason why this happened ... because there wasn't actually enough to fire Rice for cause. Not even close.

Legal counsel writes up the contract that the AD negotiates. As a lawyer, you can author the most air-tight contract ever written, but if the client (your boss) overrides you, or tells you to remove portions, or to change specific language, it doesn't matter.

But Rice did not get his full buyout when he was fired. We did it because of the video getting so much attention.. but if legal counsel would have suggested we can get away with paying him less than half his buyout, maybe Pernetti gets given the okay to fire Rice and we avoid the bulk of that bad PR. Instead of Rutgers Head Coach Mike Rice did this.. it would have been "Rutgers fired head coach Mike Rice.. here's why".

But Rice did not get his full buyout when he was fired. We did it because of the video getting so much attention.. but if legal counsel would have suggested we can get away with paying him less than half his buyout, maybe Pernetti gets given the okay to fire Rice and we avoid the bulk of that bad PR. Instead of Rutgers Head Coach Mike Rice did this.. it would have been "Rutgers fired head coach Mike Rice.. here's why".

I imagine that Rice took a negotiated lump sum when he left. With all of it upfront the total value was probably discounted. Typical practice.

See, this is where I find this board frustrating. There are too many people who have invented facts to fit the narrative they want to present, rather that develop narrative that are consistent with the facts. I'm not talking about people having honest differences of opinion in interpretation of data (such as 4Real coming to a different conclusion than me on the effect of budget constraints on Hobbs decision to retain Ash). I'm talking about people just making stuff up, sometimes without even realizing they're doing it, just because it fits their narrative.

It is pretty easy to show that Barchi did not give Pernetti any direction regarding hiring of Cristobal or Flood.

It is pretty easy to show that Barchi did not give Pernetti any direction regarding hiring of Cristobal or Flood.

But don't you also think that Barchi saying no to firing Rice without cause.. and now not firing Ash due to budget constraints... pretty much amounts to the same thing? Come to think of it, wasn't it said that Hermann wanted to replace Flood and Barchi said no? I recall reading she wanted to hire Dan Mullen or someone..

Sure, the facts were wrong.. but hasn't Barchi proven that the take-away idea was correct?

He has hired both Julie Hermann and Pat Hobbs.. neither with football experience. His only focus in athletics seems to be reducing and eliminating the institutional support.. and that has likely added to the need for institutional support.

Yeah. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. [eyeroll]
66136777-frightening-jaws-of-angry-dog-protecting-big-bone.jpg

No idea what the discussion is but adding one of my favorite lines:

When legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Re-thinking it.. with winning a share of the conference title, maybe Pernetti had his hands tied with moving on Flood.. and he got forced out over the Rice thing.. a sacrificial.. er.. underling.

But I think Hobbs not being able to fire Ash (which is on both Hobbs and Barchi).. I think that means that Pernetti would not have been able to fire Flood. Hermann did not get to fire Flood. I think that comes from Barchi regarding budget dollars.

They signed off on Ash's contract. They told Barchi that there wasn't enough to fire Rice for cause. Legal counsel also must have signed off on the Ash contract and not protected Rutgers interests.

Pernetti wasnt allowed to fire Fred Hill jr....that created this whole mess

Pernetti wasnt allowed to fire Fred Hill jr....that created this whole mess
ahh.. I am getting old. I knew there was some story about not being able to fire someone.. but that pre-dated Barchi coming here.

In any case, that wrong "fact" I brought up was just to show how budget constraints have resulted in pinching pennies to lose dollars and what I have seen from Barchi confirms that. I screwed up supporting facts... but I was not trying to paint a picture that was misleading.

And while we are on Pernetti.. I think he had some value in the Big Ten invite.. sure, without what Mulcahy and Schiano it does not happen.. but Pernetti surely had dealing with the evaluation team from the Big Ten and as a guy with experience at ABC Sports, VP at College Sports Network and then getting picked up by CBS Sports Network when they bought CSTV... he clearly could sell and had a lot of knowledge about markets useful to the Big Ten and BTN.

He would have had tremendous value to a Rutgers in the Big Ten. He was not perfect.. but we should have fought to keep him.

ahh.. I am getting old. I knew there was some story about not being able to fire someone.. but that pre-dated Barchi coming here.

In any case, that wrong "fact" I brought up was just to show how budget constraints have resulted in pinching pennies to lose dollars and what I have seen from Barchi confirms that. I screwed up supporting facts... but I was not trying to paint a picture that was misleading.

And while we are on Pernetti.. I think he had some value in the Big Ten invite.. sure, without what Mulcahy and Schiano it does not happen.. but Pernetti surely had dealing with the evaluation team from the Big Ten and as a guy with experience at ABC Sports, VP at College Sports Network and then getting picked up by CBS Sports Network when they bought CSTV... he clearly could sell and had a lot of knowledge about markets useful to the Big Ten and BTN.

He would have had tremendous value to a Rutgers in the Big Ten. He was not perfect.. but we should have fought to keep him.
Keep Pernetti? The guy that hired Rice after people told him Rice was a lunatic. No thanks!!

When Ash came in the door and started recruiting, we'd been to a bowl game in 9 of the prior 11 seasons. The juniors and seniors he was recruiting weren't even in 1st grade when Rutgers was last a college football doormat, and we had compiled a 83-56 record from the time they entered Kindergarten to the time Ash and staff were sitting down in their kitchens to sell them on committing (2005-2015 seasons).

Rutgers had been a solid program for essentially their entire lives prior to Ash's arrival and was coming off a down year that was impacted by several player arrests.

Now? That's all been wiped away. Four straight losing seasons... we've gone 11-37 since the current HS recruits entered 8th grade, and there's no expectation that we'll suddenly have a winning record next year.
End of day Hobbs is now tied to the hip with Ash. If we are miserable again next year, I for one will want Hobbs gone before Ash so a competent AD hires the next coach.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Keep Pernetti? The guy that hired Rice after people told him Rice was a lunatic. No thanks!!

Well.. I don't have a problem with boot-camp drill instructor type coaches. I understand that even boot camp today has changed and the language was unfortunate in this PC world.

In every other way Rice was a good choice who got results. And it could be the counselling he got might have fixed his issues.. we'll never know.

ADVERTISEMENT